Cody Asche

Greg Hibbard

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me be very clear about my argument, because you all seem to be conflating my points.

1) If we're going to experiment with a scrap heap reclamation project that has kicked around the majors for a few years, which is what the White Sox MAY have been doing with Cody Asche, I would have wanted to go out and get a different type of player than Cody Asche. I would want no part of a contact hitter who has a low OBP and no power and has no defensive upside, because his ceiling is such that the "reclamation" is just going to make the rebuild extra confusing if it goes literally as well as possible - which is to say he ends up as a .250 hitter playing below average defense and getting about 10-12 extra base hits in limited time. I would much rather the White Sox have gone out and gotten a different type of player if there was going to be a reclamation project like this, because this guy seems wrong for the things that Guaranteed Rate Field is built for. Why tender this guy a minor league contract over calling up a AAA player with power and a nice OBP. Just looking at the AAA roster, why not Rymer Liriano, for example?

2) If the white sox were filling out the roster with "just a guy" then I don't understand why they are filling out the roster with THIS guy. This guy seems too good to be "just a guy," but too poor in the needed areas to be a guy that actually helps them in the ways that this team could be helped.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 03:11 PM)
Let me be very clear about my argument, because you all seem to be conflating my points.

1) If we're going to experiment with a scrap heap reclamation project that has kicked around the majors for a few years, which is what the White Sox MAY have been doing with Cody Asche, I would have wanted to go out and get a different type of player than Cody Asche. I would want no part of a contact hitter who has a low OBP and no power and has no defensive upside, because his ceiling is such that the "reclamation" is just going to make the rebuild extra confusing if it goes literally as well as possible - which is to say he ends up as a .250 hitter playing below average defense and getting about 10-12 extra base hits in limited time. I would much rather the White Sox have gone out and gotten a different type of player if there was going to be a reclamation project like this, because this guy seems wrong for the things that Guaranteed Rate Field is built for. Why tender this guy a minor league contract over calling up a AAA player with power and a nice OBP. Just looking at the AAA roster, why not Rymer Liriano, for example?

2) If the white sox were filling out the roster with "just a guy" then I don't understand why they are filling out the roster with THIS guy. This guy seems too good to be "just a guy," but too poor in the needed areas to be a guy that actually helps them in the ways that this team could be helped.

Who is/was available at a minimal price? You seem to keep avoiding examples. Some of these "types of guys" go claimed on waivers and aren't just free to add.

Edited by soxfan2014

Because they like Liriano and Garcia but want to work with them outside of the pressure of the big leagues. After poor springs, they bet on being able to get them to minors without losing them, and kept Asche, a player with a nice swing who had a good spring and can play a 3b and OF and platoon with Davidson.

With Garcia's start, you may very well see a switch. But it's April 11th.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 03:20 PM)
The same that Asche is costing us and you will see him at some point anyway. Jesus what a pointless thread lol

Thank you for doing your part to add to the discussion. Your comments are appreciated. Since it's a pointless thread, by all means, exit the conversation. Thanks again.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
For one thing, he's hurt. For another, he missed most of last year and was brutal in the spring.

He was not hurt when Cody Asche was tendered an offer to come to the club

He was not hurt when Cody Asche was chosen for the major league roster over him

I get that he had a poor spring and didn't play last year, but the decision to bring this guy in in the first place is what I'm questioning. Hence the "what is the upside" question.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 04:15 PM)
Why not Rymer Liriano over Cody Asche.

I would guess the Renteria comments during ST that Liriano was going to need time to get back to full strength is one reason why he is not up with the White Sox.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
Thank you for doing your part to add to the discussion. Your comments are appreciated. Since it's a pointless thread, by all means, exit the conversation. Thanks again.

They rewarded the guys who had big springs. It's about as fluid as can be. If May and Asche continue to suck it up and Liriano and Garcia hit well for a while, they will be swapped out.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)

No problem sir. You asked and I gave you 6 legitimate reasons. The reason you still don't understand at this point is on you.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
They rewarded the guys who had big springs. It's about as fluid as can be. If May and Asche continue to suck it up and Liriano and Garcia hit well for a while, they will be swapped out.

Again, I'm still stuck on this point - why was a guy like Asche a guy they targeted to give a flier in spring to give a chance to compete for a spot. He just seemed like the wrong type of player for what the Sox are trying to do, that's all.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 03:31 PM)
Again, I'm still stuck on this point - why was a guy like Asche a guy they targeted to give a flier in spring to give a chance to compete for a spot. He just seemed like the wrong type of player for what the Sox are trying to do, that's all.

So he's bad but not the bad we need. Got it.

:bang