Soto to DL, Smith called up

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 10:49 AM)
Chicago White Sox

@whitesox

Prior to tonight’s game, the #WhiteSox placed Geovany Soto on the 10-day DL and purchased the contract of Kevan Smith from Charlotte.

Too bad. Geo can't make it through a season without the DL. Hopefully he recovers soon, or Kevan Smith breaks out.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 10:51 AM)
Too bad. Geo can't make it through a season without the DL. Hopefully he recovers soon, or Kevan Smith breaks out.

Hopefully Kevan gets a good shot to play so we can see what he's got, also didn't want to start a new thread for this since I'm already 0-1 today lol.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 02:49 PM)
Why is that?

I will say its mostly of what I seen of him offensively in ST up close. He was so unimpressive I walked away shaking my head thinking this guy has no offensive ability whatsoever. Didnt look like he belonged with major leaguers.

Mind you, he is a catcher so offense is not as important and it was just a few days of seeing him that I came to this opinion.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 03:00 PM)
I will say its mostly of what I seen of him offensively in ST up close. He was so unimpressive I walked away shaking my head thinking this guy has no offensive ability whatsoever. Didnt look like he belonged with major leaguers.

Mind you, he is a catcher so offense is not as important and it was just a few days of seeing him that I came to this opinion.

Didn't he actually have a great spring though?

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)

well, he'll fit right in!

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 03:04 PM)
Didn't he actually have a great spring though?

Maybe he did but not while I seen him. The worst was watching him work on the back fields.

I really don't want to come off as some Smith basher because I am not angry they brought him up or anything. I just personally dont think he belongs in the ML's but they really don't have any other options.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 03:20 PM)
Maybe he did but not while I seen him. The worst was watching him work on the back fields.

I really don't want to come off as some Smith basher because I am not angry they brought him up or anything. I just personally dont think he belongs in the ML's but they really don't have any other options.

That's just it. You're talking third catcher on a rebuilding team here with little catching depth (yes, I'm aware of Zack Collins but referring to MLB-ready talent).