4/19 Games

BaseballNick

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 08:07 AM)
Some posters are too infatuated with strikeouts. I guarantee if Giolito had 10 K's instead of 8, we wouldn't be hearing nearly as much regardless of the 3 runs he gave up.

It's probably the biggest indicator of future success for minor league pitchers, so the infatuation makes sense. Compared to what we have at the MLB level, there's far less reliable data on minor league park factors, batted ball data/exit velocity, and the quality of defenses, so I pretty much take everything beyond peripherals with a massive grain of salt.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 09:35 AM)
It's probably the biggest indicator of future success for minor league pitchers, so the infatuation makes sense. Compared to what we have at the MLB level, there's far less reliable data on minor league park factors, batted ball data/exit velocity, and the quality of defenses, so I pretty much take everything beyond peripherals with a massive grain of salt.

I watched Giolito's start. His CRV and CHG are still nasty. It's all about FB command with him. He was like 91-95 with the FB last night but he's wild in the zone. He doesn't need to throw high 90's to be effective with his Curveball but he absolutely needs to command it better.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 08:07 AM)
Some posters are too infatuated with strikeouts. I guarantee if Giolito had 10 K's instead of 8, we wouldn't be hearing nearly as much regardless of the 3 runs he gave up.

Yes and no

Adams is still young, but the lack of strikeouts at the AA level does not bode well for when he has to face more disciplined AAA and major league hitters

Right now he's a 45-50 grade overall pitcher, with good control, but averageish stuff. There's still some projection in his frame, but I have doubts he ever becomes more than a backend starter.