2017 NFL Draft Thread

Adam Jahns

New postPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Jahns‏Verified account @adamjahns 1h1 hour ago

1. The 49ers might have been playing their hand well, but there were absolutely teams calling to move up for QBs.

2. The Browns, Chiefs, Texans and Cardinals all had interest in moving up. Told that Browns and Chiefs coveted Mitch Trubisky.

3. The #Bears wanted Mitch Trubisky. He was their draft at that point. Bluffed or not, team made correct move to get him. Regret = worse.

4. In the end, the Chiefs and Texans did actually move up to draft quarterbacks. So don't doubt their attempts to move up at all.

5. Don't forget what happened in 2014. #Bears were stunned when Aaron Donald was selected right before them. How'd that work out?

6. Regardless of what teams were offering 49ers' deals, the existence of them spurred bold action by #Bears. I wouldn't fault them for that.

7. Don't think the Browns wanted Trubisky? Think again. They passed on Deshaun Watson. Trubisky was their guy from get to.

8. There are always ways to recoup picks in the draft. #Bears stuck close to value of swapping picks from 3 to 2.

9. In the end, if Mitch Trubisky turns out to be a franchise QB for the #Bears will anyone remember what they traded? Time will tell.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 08:07 AM)
Adam Jahns

New postPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Jahns‏Verified account @adamjahns 1h1 hour ago

1. The 49ers might have been playing their hand well, but there were absolutely teams calling to move up for QBs.

2. The Browns, Chiefs, Texans and Cardinals all had interest in moving up. Told that Browns and Chiefs coveted Mitch Trubisky.

3. The #Bears wanted Mitch Trubisky. He was their draft at that point. Bluffed or not, team made correct move to get him. Regret = worse.

4. In the end, the Chiefs and Texans did actually move up to draft quarterbacks. So don't doubt their attempts to move up at all.

5. Don't forget what happened in 2014. #Bears were stunned when Aaron Donald was selected right before them. How'd that work out?

6. Regardless of what teams were offering 49ers' deals, the existence of them spurred bold action by #Bears. I wouldn't fault them for that.

7. Don't think the Browns wanted Trubisky? Think again. They passed on Deshaun Watson. Trubisky was their guy from get to.

8. There are always ways to recoup picks in the draft. #Bears stuck close to value of swapping picks from 3 to 2.

9. In the end, if Mitch Trubisky turns out to be a franchise QB for the #Bears will anyone remember what they traded? Time will tell.

Ugh

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 10:28 AM)
I can honestly say I hate the line of thinking on number 9 there. But you're going to be hearing it until the season starts.

Why? Its true.

I dont think this is a case that there was no price to large for Pace to trade spots as some have assumed. We arent talking as if he gave up future number 1-2's to get there. Yes, third round picks can really valuable but you can also find ways to obtain some yourself. Not something you can really do if you would have traded a 1-2nd rounder. Can we at least let the draft play out before we jump off the bridge? (not speaking about you rowand)

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 10:06 AM)
Then I have zero hope of acquiring a 3rd at this point unless we move back into the 3rd round.

They could do it. They could get a 3rd for 10-12 spots. It's a different draft. And compensatory picks can be traded.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 10:38 AM)
Why? Its true.

I dont think this is a case that there was no price to large for Pace to trade spots as some have assumed. We arent talking as if he gave up future number 1-2's to get there. Yes, third round picks can really valuable but you can also find ways to obtain some yourself. Not something you can really do if you would have traded a 1-2nd rounder. Can we at least let the draft play out before we jump off the bridge? (not speaking about you rowand)

Because in general that statement can be true for just about any pick or any trade. To me it's just a lazy statement to try and get your point across. And like I said I'm not a Bears fan so I personally don't care either way, I just don't like that kind of logic.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 09:51 AM)
One thing to remember is...no one thought the Bears were taking a QB @ 3. That includes most other teams. My guess is they were getting calls from teams looking to move up to get a QB (or other player) and one of those teams was the Browns (who had no idea Bears were in on Trubisky and who thought Bears were moving down...because Bears didn't want Browns to take Trubisky one...they wanted Browns to think they could get "cute" and get both of there guys). When Pace was hearing the offers from the Browns, he probably knew, if he wasn't willing to deal, then the Browns might (or were) also talking to Niners (and there could be other teams in the equation as well), so with that, he had Trubisky as the franchise guy and moved up to make sure he got him.

I could definitely see the above scenario playing out...it could be nonsense too.

This is why I don't think they were betting against themselves which I originally thought. I think they knew what teams were offering and had ideas of who was looking to move up to grab a QB which teams did a further back in the draft.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
This is why I don't think they were betting against themselves which I originally thought. I think they knew what teams were offering and had ideas of who was looking to move up to grab a QB which teams did a further back in the draft.

Seeing more since my previous post, it sounds like Houston was actively talking to SF in an effort to trade up for Trubisky. I would imagine the Bears would have also heard from Houston in that same attempt to trade up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
Seeing more since my previous post, it sounds like Houston was actively talking to SF in an effort to trade up for Trubisky. I would imagine the Bears would have also heard from Houston in that same attempt to trade up.

This is likely the case; unfortunately, this is probably an example of the asymmetry between how much time FO/coaching regimes have and what is realistic. Leads to reaches to get that QB, even though over the longer term, this was likely not the best use of resources.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 10:49 AM)
Because in general that statement can be true for just about any pick or any trade. To me it's just a lazy statement to try and get your point across. And like I said I'm not a Bears fan so I personally don't care either way, I just don't like that kind of logic.

Yeah, it leads to justifying decisions that were objectively bad or at least far from optimal because they happened to work out that one time. Playing lottery scratch-offs is a bad financial decision, even if you do hit a 10k pay off eventually.

Of course it can, but in the end, all that matters is how they perfom from now on, not by what they were projected to do or where they were "supposed" to get picked. When the Bears drafted Kyle Long, there was a ton of b****ing and moaning about value. Well, they were right. No one has ever mentioned value with that pick since. If they are right here, nobody cares. If they are wrong, it will cost Pace a career.

That's fair but I get equally annoyed by fans at draft time knowing that a player is a reach or that "no one else was going to take them".

If the Bears were going to get a QB, I'm glad they got this QB, not just "a" QB.

Strategically, I knew the 3 spot had a lot less leverage than 2, really only good for fournette jumpers. But we had to win against the 49ers.

I would always prefer trading down, but it becomes a lot easier when you have a great QB and don't need every position "perfect" as the Bears need right now to win.

Minnesota/Oakland told me all I need to know about building the perfect roster without the QB. Soon as the QB position was unsettled, all the talent in the world suddenly looked pretty average.

Michael Lombardi @mlombardiNFL

Trying to track down the teams that might have competed with Bears for the second pick and have not found one--Jets never called 49ers

Charles Robinson Retweeted Michael Lombardi

There are none. #Bears were bidding against themselves on that one. Nobody was trying to move to 2 for Trubisky

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 12:18 PM)
Michael Lombardi @mlombardiNFL

Trying to track down the teams that might have competed with Bears for the second pick and have not found one--Jets never called 49ers

Charles Robinson Retweeted Michael Lombardi

There are none. #Bears were bidding against themselves on that one. Nobody was trying to move to 2 for Trubisky

There will never be anyway to prove this. Even if Chiefs/Texans/Browns tried, they all are going to say "They got their guy" or "This is what we wanted."

I personally think based on the pre-draft rumors and what ultimately happened that the Bears were likely bidding against themselves. Browns rumors were that they knew who they wanted at 1 they planned to trade back at 12, both happened. Rumors with Chiefs were they planned to trade into top 10 to take Mahomes, happened.

Its hard to speculate if the 49ers would really have dropped down to the later portion of the draft or if the Texans/Chiefs would have given up what it took to get all the way to 2.

This s*** always happens after there is a supposed "reach" in the draft, and then years later it comes out that so and so was about to take them. When the other teams sense backlash, they aren't going to volunteer themselves to take heat for no reason.

I'm a Titans fan but have family who are Bears fans...

If you're getting an undisputed stud QB -- polished, experienced, intangibles, great arm, etc. -- by all means, trade up at any cost to get a guy you can say with >85% certainty will be AT LEAST a serviceable QB for years to come. Mitch Trubisky is not, in any way, that player. We're talking about a guy who is a 2nd or 3rd rounder in most draft years who was the SECOND OVERALL PICK! That's insane. Much less that the Bears traded 4 valuable picks to have the honor of getting a guy with a ceiling of mediocrity and the floor of a career third-string journeyman. I'm not a UNC fan but saw plenty of Trubisky last season to form a reasonable opinion of his abilities. This justification with statements like, "IF he becomes a franchise QB, blah blah blah..."......look, this guy does not have the talent to be a "franchise QB".

Awful, awful, awful move.