2017 NFL Draft Thread

I said I really, really wanted a young QB to get my hopes up and here we are. The path Pace took still doesn't seem right though, but it is what it is.

I don't know how it's all gonna shake out with Glennon, Trubisky, and an old head coach who probably really wants to win now. I wonder if Pace will still be around by the time we find out if Trubisky is any good.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My main issue is, that most likely, Trubisky would have been there at #3. The 49ers didn't want to move too far down in the draft, so they wouldn't have traded down with just anyone; so why waste three picks on someone that you could have selected without having to do anything?

Plus, Trubisky is not an immediate starter, so why be concerned if you are forced to shore up your porous secondary instead of him?

Kizer is still out there and, honestly, he's not much different from Trubisky.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 12:22 AM)
Give away everything. My god. They gave away 2 thirds and a 4th, one or two of which will probably be recouped in about 18 hours, but if Pace can't get them back, uh oh! Hopefully the Bears don't miss out on another Chris Conte, Major Wright, Juaquin Iglesias, or Khaseem Greene with those golden tickets!

If you don't think Ryan Pace can do anything with third and fourth round picks, the bears are doomed anyway.

I like the pick and the trade is also fine by me too. We dont know what was going on behind the scenes that lead Pace to believe he had to make that trade. Hell no one knew the Bears were in a position to loving Trubisky as much as they did so why is it so far fetched that another team was just as anxious?

I am glad the Bears had a conviction with a QB and made it happen. I was truly tired of putting off the QB position year in and year out with drafting late round picks hoping to strike some sort of gold that never existed.

Bottom line is that no one trusts the Bears to do anything right so the natural reaction was to assume the worst in this entire scenario. Lets see how this all plays out. I am really excited to watch this guy get out there and sling it.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 07:28 AM)
My main issue is, that most likely, Trubisky would have been there at #3. The 49ers didn't want to move too far down in the draft, so they wouldn't have traded down with just anyone; so why waste three picks on someone that you could have selected without having to do anything?

Plus, Trubisky is not an immediate starter, so why be concerned if you are forced to shore up your porous secondary instead of him?

I don't buy that Trubisky would be there at 3. But unfortunately for Pace, no team will claim to have wanted to move up to 2, 49ers will want to seem like the biggest geniuses possible, unless Mitch is real. Then it all won't matter.

I love it. Trubisky wasn't my top QB but Pace put his nuts on the table. I wanted them to have conviction and take the QB that they liked best. This is where franchise QB's are taken. They were getting offers for the 3rd pick for a QB, so they jumped up a spot and got him. They'll recoup picks tonight but that's not the point. He isn't being safe. I loved his comments last night at the press conference about being aggressive. In order to win consistently you need a long-term answer at QB. If Trubisky hits, nobody will care what the cost was. If it doesn't, Pace will probably get fired. It definitely buys him some time though. Personally, I'm glad he had the balls to do it.

He may or may not have been there at 3 anyway, but if you think he's a franchise guy, ya gotta make the move.

2nd round I'm looking at Budda Baker or Malik McDowell. Cam Robinson is interesting, but from what I've read, he might not be all that great. At OT I like Antonio Garcia more.

Edited by scs787

If I were a Bears fan this would be the last thing that I cared about. They're going through a process here so drafting just to get a littler bit better in a rebuilding year doesn't seem like the best strategy.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 07:38 AM)
If you don't think Ryan Pace can do anything with third and fourth round picks, the bears are doomed anyway.

It's not about what Pace can and can't do with these. There aren't any GM's who consistently find gems in the mid rounds. Some can't find any in round 1. I do know that the probability in round 1 is much better

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 08:00 AM)
I love it. Trubisky wasn't my top QB but Pace put his nuts on the table. I wanted them to have conviction and take the QB that they liked best. This is where franchise QB's are taken. They were getting offers for the 3rd pick for a QB, so they jumped up a spot and got him. They'll recoup picks tonight but that's not the point. He isn't being safe. I loved his comments last night at the press conference about being aggressive. In order to win consistently you need a long-term answer at QB. If Trubisky hits, nobody will care what the cost was. If it doesn't, Pace will probably get fired. It definitely buys him some time though. Personally, I'm glad he had the balls to do it.

High 5 to ya. I am with this all the way.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 08:00 AM)

I agree with this. If Trubisky is what Pace hopes, Pace is an NFL GM until he doesn't want to be an NFL GM. If Trubisky blows, he'll be back to being a scout with no chance of ever being an NFL GM again in no time. The moment of truth. I just hope he's right.

People loved his draft last year, so instead of complaining about the massive price and the big question mark with the lack of experience, I am willing to wait. I figure no matter who he took, and I was hoping Adams, they were at best a 7-9 team in 2017. So let the new QB develop for a year, and Ryan Pace is on the clock in 2018. He's either a genius or an idiot, all on this move.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 08:05 AM)
He may or may not have been there at 3 anyway, but if you think he's a franchise guy, ya gotta make the move.

2nd round I'm looking at Budda Baker or Malik McDowell. Cam Robinson is interesting, but from what I've read, he might not be all that great. At OT I like Antonio Garcia more.

I would like them to trade down. Bulk up on 4th round picks.

You have to overdraft QB's. Its just kind of how it goes in the NFL.

What you gave up isn't that big of a deal if the QB ends up being good. If he's bad, then it's even worse cause you don't have a talented roster. Then you start the whole process over again.

I don't disagree with going up and getting a QB. I just don't like the QB they took, but who knows anymore.

The story is that the 49ers had another trade offer on the table.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 08:15 AM)
Slept on it, still don't like the pick. Time will tell.

Also...Sooooo the Bears just made themselves prime candidates out of the 8 eligible teams to be picked for HBO's Hard Knocks right?

They were eligible but HBO picked the Bucs. But they will most likely be eligible next summer, unless Fox gets fired.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 08:30 AM)
They were eligible but HBO picked the Bucs. But they will most likely be eligible next summer, unless Fox gets fired.

Ah you're right. Never saw that. Bummer.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 08:08 AM)
It's not about what Pace can and can't do with these. There aren't any GM's who consistently find gems in the mid rounds. Some can't find any in round 1. I do know that the probability in round 1 is much better

You don't need to find gems, you need to find competent starters in those rounds. The Bears are really, really lacking in nearly every position, and now they have two fewer opportunities to hit on a pick. Pointing out that past Bears GMs were bad at drafting so it doesn't matter if they don't have 3/4th round picks sort of ignores that that's exactly how the Bears got into the position they're in now.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 08:35 AM)
You don't need to find gems, you need to find competent starters in those rounds. The Bears are really, really lacking in nearly every position, and now they have two fewer opportunities to hit on a pick. Pointing out that past Bears GMs were bad at drafting so it doesn't matter if they don't have 3/4th round picks sort of ignores that that's exactly how the Bears got into the position they're in now.

I don't think Bears have a depth problem anymore they have an impact playernproblem

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
Its likely the Bears can swap spots with someone in the second for another third isnt it?

I think it's possible where they are at, will just require a big leap. Luckily they are in that position where a team who has a first round grade on someone may be ambitious to get them. But last year they moved back like 12 spots and got 2 4ths and a 5th. I think that is a more likely trade.