2017 NFL Draft Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 08:27 AM)
The story is that the 49ers had another trade offer on the table.

Sounds like the Texans, Chiefs, and Browns wanted to move to 3 or 2 to grab Trubisky. Pace took calls from all three, which much have keyed him into the idea that they were also trying to get 2.

Edited by Sox-35th

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a reason people don't like Trubisky? I thought he was the favored QB on here. I would have been terrified of Watson even if supportive of the "well he wins and he seems nice".

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
Is there a reason people don't like Trubisky? I thought he was the favored QB on here. I would have been terrified of Watson even if supportive of the "well he wins and he seems nice".

BECAUSE THE BEARS ARE A JOKE THEY COULD HAVE GOTTEN HIM BY (Insert 5 scenarios that we have no idea even existed). SAME OL BEARS, TRUBINSKY IS BAD I SEEN HIM PLAY ONE TIME AND HE THROWS FROM HIS BACK FOOT.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 06:00 AM)
I love it. Trubisky wasn't my top QB but Pace put his nuts on the table. I wanted them to have conviction and take the QB that they liked best. This is where franchise QB's are taken. They were getting offers for the 3rd pick for a QB, so they jumped up a spot and got him. They'll recoup picks tonight but that's not the point. He isn't being safe. I loved his comments last night at the press conference about being aggressive. In order to win consistently you need a long-term answer at QB. If Trubisky hits, nobody will care what the cost was. If it doesn't, Pace will probably get fired. It definitely buys him some time though. Personally, I'm glad he had the balls to do it.

Again, this doesn't justify being a f***ing idiot though with your assets.

A franchise QB has almost limitless value, as it is essentially the ante to get into contender ranks. That doesn't mean you blindly throw assets around like a fool so you can take a chance on a QB early. Under this logic, should he have traded more picks if John Lynch asked?

Agreed that if Trubisky pans out, the price paid to acquire him is forgotten, but what also won't be talked about is the guy(s) they missed out on because they decided to get sloppy with their picks.

Irregardless of the lure of a franchise qb, you still have to manage the draft and manage your assets wisely. You don't just throw everything at one pick and then say "if he pans out, it will be worth it."

I don't like having to lose picks to get him, just wondering if there's something beyond the experience. Everything on him I saw/read was positive except for "how did he lose out twice to start in college"

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
I don't like having to lose picks to get him, just wondering if there's something beyond the experience. Everything on him I saw/read was positive except for "how did he lose out twice to start in college"

Lack of familiarity for most people probably. It's a little different obviously but every time an NBA team drafts a guy from overseas it's almost always hated by the fan base.

I don't hate the pick. I hate trading 3 picks to move up one spot to get him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 07:37 AM)

Gruden seemed to think he was not particularly accurate.

Although Gruden forgave all of Watson's interceptions saying they were "easily correctable."

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)

Me too.

Here's one thing holding me up. The teams that have good drafts where they trade back all the time and get assets usually have the luxury of having a great QB that papers over their weaknesses.

If the bears finally get that, then they can at last just use their pick as leverage. Truth be told I'm not such a big trubisky fan that I wouldn't have taken whatever was rumored to be offered to bears. But, Browns/Niners, I'm kinda out on that. I was big on that last year, but by the time they'll get a QB good enough to win, it will be 3-4 years from now and these players will be already on an nfl decline.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)

My exact thoughts. I really believe that Pace played himself.

The other GMs made him sweat and he jumped at their "threat" to move up.

Trubisky is not a world-beater and he certainly will not keep this team from 4-12 this upcoming season.

People are worried about his lack of experience. He only grades out an 88/100 or something like that on most draft boards

But then again, Dak Prescott didn't grade out an 88/100 and every team would redraft him in the first round.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
Gruden seemed to think he was not particularly accurate.

Although Gruden forgave all of Watson's interceptions saying they were "easily correctable."

That's nuts, didn't know that was a knock.

SO it's simplistic, but while I've rarely been right in predicting QB success, I have been better (in my own personal estimation) at predicting bad ones. I knew Gabbert would suck because at Missouri he would crumble under pressure. Also knew Freeman would suck.

So this is one stat courtesy of PFF that I have latched onto. It's why I liked Bridgewater, though he may not be that good:

Stats to know: Adjusted completion percentage when pressured was 66.7 percent, tied for No. 1 in the draft class among quarterbacks with at least 80 attempts

This is what I'm latching onto. When it fails I'll have nothing left.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 04:21 AM)
I'm not mad at the pick, just the price. I know Pace got played on picks but it seemed like today there was a lot of overpays. Not excusing it, but he wasn't the only one

And I agree with Rowand, this took some balls and Pace hitched his wagon to Trubisky who loves kissing women chest parts

One thing to remember is...no one thought the Bears were taking a QB @ 3. That includes most other teams. My guess is they were getting calls from teams looking to move up to get a QB (or other player) and one of those teams was the Browns (who had no idea Bears were in on Trubisky and who thought Bears were moving down...because Bears didn't want Browns to take Trubisky one...they wanted Browns to think they could get "cute" and get both of there guys). When Pace was hearing the offers from the Browns, he probably knew, if he wasn't willing to deal, then the Browns might (or were) also talking to Niners (and there could be other teams in the equation as well), so with that, he had Trubisky as the franchise guy and moved up to make sure he got him.

I could definitely see the above scenario playing out...it could be nonsense too.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 09:46 AM)
My exact thoughts. I really believe that Pace played himself.

The other GMs made him sweat and he jumped at their "threat" to move up.

Trubisky is not a world-beater and he certainly will not keep this team from 4-12 this upcoming season.

Doesn't bother me. Third and fourth rounders are crapshoots. If you believe in a quarterback, go get him. That's a small price to pay.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 07:51 AM)
Ya I've heard one of the biggest pluses with Trubisky was his accuracy so not sure why Gruden thinks that.

I think he was referring specifically to balls further downfield. I was in the middle of making dinner so I was doing 5 things at once, but I thought I heard/saw/read that they had a lot of run/pass options and his high completion percentage was helped by a lot of short passes out of the backfield.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)

I think that negative is overrated anyway. Marquise Williams was an awesome dual-threat college QB. Not beating him out in that setting means little in his ability to be a NFL quarterback.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 09:51 AM)
Ya I've heard one of the biggest pluses with Trubisky was his accuracy so not sure why Gruden thinks that.

Gruden was like "he has problems with deep ball accuracy" and showed one clip where he threw a wide receiver out of bounds, and then he said "all this proves is the bears are finally sick of cutler"

Dude, Cutler isn't even a bear and they released him. They said they are sick of him already

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 07:51 AM)
One thing to remember is...no one thought the Bears were taking a QB @ 3. That includes most other teams. My guess is they were getting calls from teams looking to move up to get a QB (or other player) and one of those teams was the Browns (who had no idea Bears were in on Trubisky and who thought Bears were moving down...because Bears didn't want Browns to take Trubisky one...they wanted Browns to think they could get "cute" and get both of there guys). When Pace was hearing the offers from the Browns, he probably knew, if he wasn't willing to deal, then the Browns might (or were) also talking to Niners (and there could be other teams in the equation as well), so with that, he had Trubisky as the franchise guy and moved up to make sure he got him.

I could definitely see the above scenario playing out...it could be nonsense too.

They key is whether they truly LOVE Trubisky or if they talked themselves into him as one of the available options this year.

I know absolutely nothing, but I would have preferred to keep Jay for another year, drafted BPA and addressed the QB sitch next year under the assumption you'd suck again and there would be better QB prospects you liked more then.

Why dont I like Trubisky?

Its not so much dislike, its more I dislike Trubisky as the 2nd pick overall where it took extra assets the Bears dont have to acquire him.

Trubisky at this time is not an "elite" QB prospect. He primarily plays out of the shotgun, and has taken almost 0 snaps under center. Played in an offense that is run/pass option that is not going to be run by the bears. In his "bad weather" game, he went 13-33 for 58 yards and 2 ints.

I also do not have a lot of confidence in Bears ability to develop a QB.

In the current draft my preference would have been to trade down (according to Pace there were many offers to trade up to 3) and accumulate an extra 1st round pick next year. If a Qb fell to the bears that they liked in the first, great take him. Otherwise the Bears would have 2 first rounders for next year when there could be 2 or more elite QB prospects. Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen and Josh Allen all could potentially grade out higher than Trubisky, and Darnold/Rosen likely would have been picked above him this year had they been eligible.

It was just a lot of different factors that go into why its not a "thrilling" pick.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 09:07 AM)
I think it's possible where they are at, will just require a big leap. Luckily they are in that position where a team who has a first round grade on someone may be ambitious to get them. But last year they moved back like 12 spots and got 2 4ths and a 5th. I think that is a more likely trade.

They moved back 25 spots and acquired 3 4th's actually. And still got Cody Whitehair.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
They moved back 25 spots and acquired 3 4th's actually. And still got Cody Whitehair.

Then I have zero hope of acquiring a 3rd at this point unless we move back into the 3rd round.