2017 NFL Draft Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 1, 2017 -> 02:52 PM)
Well I think we can definitely assume that KC and Houston were trying to trade up. (Well just use a random chart as reference) http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/draft...ft-trade-chart/

KC's offer was worth 680 (27) + 136 (91) + next years first (this is not on the chart but lets presume its worth the least amount which is 590= 1,406 (Chart values 10 as 1,300 so its close.)

The 49ers pick is worth approximately 2,600. In order for KC to move up that far, theyd have had to throw in the equivalent of almost 2 more 1st rounders. Which is why many wanted the Bears to use the 3 to move down.

IE If KC wanted to move up you were looking at something like

Bears #3 (2,200) for KC 1st (680), 2nd this year (310) and 1st (590), 2nd (270) next year is only 1,850 so theyd likely have gotten an additional 3rd in the next year plus. As someone who almost always proposes trading down, its hard to pass up 2 1sts, 2 2nds plus when you are a team that is likely to be terrible.

Again no way to know if anyone was offering anything close, but if they werent then Bears were bidding against themselves, if they were then Bears could have gotten a huge haul to move down.

And ultimately that's why I don't get this move. It's a poor draft for QB's. The team will be terrible next year and in the top 5 again. Maybe even the following season. So get your roster loaded with young talent and THEN find your QB. Even if that QB fails, at least you have a decent roster that can mature over a couple of seasons. If good enough, maybe you can find a QB in FA that can put you over the top.

Instead Pace completely gambled and either (1) gave away potential 3rd and 4th round picks, or worse, (2) gave away those 3rd and 4th round picks PLUS whatever they could have gotten for the #3 this year. Instead of filling 5-6 positions of need, they got 1.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 1, 2017 -> 03:13 PM)
I absolutely think Pace had more information than I do, which is why I said: "If people were offering fair value for the Bears pick, I would have traded down and taken the 2 1sts, 2 2nds, plus."

Thats just personal opinion though. After reading Ptatc's comment above, I think the deal more had to do with what time Pace thought he had left. If he thinks he has at most a 2 year leash, he cant stockpile picks for next year because hell be gone by the time they produce.

That's an interesting thought because it highlights that there are definitely cases where the people running the team have a very strong short-term incentive to make decisions that may not be in the team's best interest mid- to long-term.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 1, 2017 -> 03:20 PM)
And ultimately that's why I don't get this move. It's a poor draft for QB's. The team will be terrible next year and in the top 5 again. Maybe even the following season. So get your roster loaded with young talent and THEN find your QB. Even if that QB fails, at least you have a decent roster that can mature over a couple of seasons. If good enough, maybe you can find a QB in FA that can put you over the top.

Instead Pace completely gambled and either (1) gave away potential 3rd and 4th round picks, or worse, (2) gave away those 3rd and 4th round picks PLUS whatever they could have gotten for the #3 this year. Instead of filling 5-6 positions of need, they got 1.

But like SB was getting it, while that may or may not be the best strategy for The Bears as an organization, it's not the best strategy for Pace if he thinks he doesn't have ownership's confidence for 2-3 more years of rebuilding and needs to start showing results soon.

Edited by StrangeSox

I dont know if Pace is anticipating how long he might have left as a GM. I think he just did so much work on Trubisky and was so convinced that he was the guy he felt like he had to make the move to leave no doubt that something could have fallen through and he missed out on him.

Pace has said from the start getting the QB position shored up was the most important piece to this whole thing. He just flat out loves Trubisky and in his mind KNOWS he is going to be special. Honestly, the fact that Pace is so sold on him makes me feel pretty comfortable that he is going to be the goods. I realize I can totally get screwed on this way of thinking and if thats the case I will be there with my pitchfork like all the rest of you guys. LOL

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 1, 2017 -> 03:13 PM)
I absolutely think Pace had more information than I do, which is why I said: "If people were offering fair value for the Bears pick, I would have traded down and taken the 2 1sts, 2 2nds, plus."

Thats just personal opinion though. After reading Ptatc's comment above, I think the deal more had to do with what time Pace thought he had left. If he thinks he has at most a 2 year leash, he cant stockpile picks for next year because hell be gone by the time they produce.

I don't know if trading the picks was right or wrong. We will find out later. Obviously SF just as desperate for a QB thought accumulation was key. Maybe Pace thought he was farther along. If they could somehow stay reasonably healthy, plus they did sign a lot of free agents, maybe he felt he didn't need 10 more players. Maybe this was their best chance at a game changing QB. We will know in a couple of years. We might not know until Pace is somewhere else.

It is surprising how slammed he's getting, not by fans, but by even the so called "experts". It was an overpay, but not that much of one, he got many of the same picks back moving down several places in round 2, and one of the guys slamming him had Trubisky going #1 in his final mock.

If it was me, I would have gone the accumulation route, picked up one of the lesser thought of QBs later, and thought about a top of the line QB next draft. But you have to admire his stones. He's all in with Trubisky.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 1, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
Pace on the Score right now

He really lit up talking about Cohen, compared him to Sproles (no surprise). Envision using him as a dynamic 3rd down back putting him in space to do his thing.

I am still confused to how they handled bringing in Glennon. When they brought him in it doesn't seem like they envisioned taking a QB in the draft. Yet, when the draft came around they were willing to bend over backwards to get one no matter what it took. When did they realize that they would have a shot a one? Why did it take them so long to think they had a shot at him? From the start they should have known it was a possibility that they could get Trubisky and by the time they signed Glennon that should have already came to a conclusion on what QB they would want in the draft.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 1, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
He really lit up talking about Cohen, compared him to Sproles (no surprise). Envision using him as a dynamic 3rd down back putting him in space to do his thing.

I am still confused to how they handled bringing in Glennon. When they brought him in it doesn't seem like they envisioned taking a QB in the draft. Yet, when the draft came around they were willing to bend over backwards to get one no matter what it took. When did they realize that they would have a shot a one? Why did it take them so long to think they had a shot at him? From the start they should have known it was a possibility that they could get Trubisky and by the time they signed Glennon that should have already came to a conclusion on what QB they would want in the draft.

Maybe in the scouting and combine process they saw something they couldn't live without.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2017 -> 04:02 PM)
Maybe in the scouting and combine process they saw something they couldn't live without.

I guess my timeline is all out of sorts. I thought most of that was completed before they signed Glennon.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 1, 2017 -> 04:06 PM)
I guess my timeline is all out of sorts. I thought most of that was completed before they signed Glennon.

It's around the same time, signed glennon 3/10, combine is the week before. But pro days and private workouts came after.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 1, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)

Glennon's contract says he's a stopgap guy.

I admit (even as a guy who isn't that big of a Bears fan), I really want to like Ryan Pace.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 1, 2017 -> 04:06 PM)

His pro-day was on March 21, so about 2 weeks after the Glennon signing. So it is possible. It still is odd because most of the time pro-days, interviews, etc are just to solidify what you saw on the tape. Or its just the most super secretive plan ever, which is why Trubisky was surprised.

It is entirely possible Pace was so in love with Trubisky that he did everything in his power to make it seem like the Bears had no interest in Trubisky. All of the reports on Glennon were that he could be cut after 1 year...

On one hand I understand why Glennon is mad, but on the other how could he look at his contract and not think that there was gonna be another quarterback drafted. He basically got a one year prove it deal

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 1, 2017 -> 04:12 PM)
On one hand I understand why Glennon is mad, but on the other how could he look at his contract and not think that there was gonna be another quarterback drafted. He basically got a one year prove it deal

He clearly saw it as a one year prove it contract when in reality it's a one year stopgap contract.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 1, 2017 -> 04:16 PM)
He clearly saw it as a one year prove it contract when in reality it's a one year stopgap contract.

And either way, he has to prove himself if he wants to keep collecting big checks. It's all on him, the Bears won't be forcing Trubisky into games so it isn't like he is breathing down Glennons neck

I think that Glennon = mad story is 100% just being blindsided when you are at an OFFICIAL EVENT. It's like when the 76ers brought Michael Carter-Williams to the draft and then drafted Payton. Set him up to get interviewed right after.

It's just an easily avoidable, crappy thing to do.

Just out of curiosity, I went back and looked at some of the saints draft history as that is where Pace comes from and here is some fun stuff when it comes to small schools.

Arkansas Pine Bluff

Regina

Towson

Bloomsburg

Hofstra

Ya know who went to those schools?

Terron Armstead- Pro Bowl LT

Akiem Hicks- Really good football player as we know

Jermon Bushrod- 2x Pro Bowl LT

Jahari Evans- 6x pro bowl/4x all pro

Marques Colston- 6 1000+ yard seasons.

They also have a history of drafting a guy with limited tape.....A guy named Jimmy Graham only caught 17 balls his one year of college football. He was pretty good right?

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 1, 2017 -> 10:29 PM)
Just out of curiosity, I went back and looked at some of the saints draft history as that is where Pace comes from and here is some fun stuff when it comes to small schools.

Arkansas Pine Bluff

Regina

Towson

Bloomsburg

Hofstra

Ya know who went to those schools?

Terron Armstead- Pro Bowl LT

Akiem Hicks- Really good football player as we know

Jermon Bushrod- 2x Pro Bowl LT

Jahari Evans- 6x pro bowl/4x all pro

Marques Colston- 6 1000+ yard seasons.

They also have a history of drafting a guy with limited tape.....A guy named Jimmy Graham only caught 17 balls his one year of college football. He was pretty good right?

I, too am trying to talk myself off the ledge of this potentially setting the Bears back another 5 years on top of the original 5.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:44 PM)
I, too am trying to talk myself off the ledge of this potentially setting the Bears back another 5 years on top of the original 5.

How are they set back 5 years? They aren't very good and might struggle on offense but they'll have a top 10 unit on defense. Jaye Howard would be a solid addition to an already good front 7. They have 4 new starters in the secondary. If Trubisky is good, this can turn around fast actually.

I keep seeing all these takes about being dishonest with Glennon? I don't understand how this is a thing.Glennon knew what he signed up for and there's no way he didn't take the most money with the Bears. In fact that's probably why the Bears we're so avid in their pursuit for him,saw him as the perfect guy to pair up with Trubisky but now suddenly he feels "cheated on".

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 2, 2017 -> 08:27 AM)
How are they set back 5 years? They aren't very good and might struggle on offense but they'll have a top 10 unit on defense. Jaye Howard would be a solid addition to an already good front 7. They have 4 new starters in the secondary. If Trubisky is good, this can turn around fast actually.

They have a very good OLine and Howard behind QB, they finished the year strong last year and even Barkley looked formidable a few games before he became full Barkley again.Glennon managing the game while pounding the run game with Howard should help out a very good defense. Bears are in no way in huge trouble.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ May 2, 2017 -> 08:46 AM)
I keep seeing all these takes about being dishonest with Glennon? I don't understand how this is a thing.Glennon knew what he signed up for and there's no way he didn't take the most money with the Bears. In fact that's probably why the Bears we're so avid in their pursuit for him,saw him as the perfect guy to pair up with Trubisky but now suddenly he feels "cheated on".

Like bmags had said earlier, the one problem I had was that they invited him to the team draft party. If they knew they were making a big splash at QB, then it's a really s***ty look to force him to be there.

Other than that, I agree with you. He took the most guaranteed money offered to him, the Bears front loaded the deal so they could cut him after one year. Anybody with a hint of knowledge in sports business could see that coming a mile away.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 2, 2017 -> 09:09 AM)
Pretty good piece By Emily Kaplan here: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/02/nfl-chi...-2017-nfl-draft

I don't like this line, what are the odds of Loggain even being around in a year or two?

Sources say the Bears preferred Trubisky over Watson or Texas Tech’s Pat Mahomes because they felt his skillset best fits Loggain’s offense

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 2, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)
I don't like this line, what are the odds of Loggain even being around in a year or two?

I'm honestly starting to think the odds are high, for Loggains to also be present when meeting Trubisky must mean Loggains is held in high regard with Pace. Maybe he's the next Bears coach when Foxy gets the Axe. Not sure I agree with it tho.