Hawk Sounds Melancholy

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:03 AM)
this is basically the defense of Hawk you and DA are going with? That because he's old and cranky he gets to do what he wants?

This is a multi billion dollar business FFS not a church bake sale.

As has been noted, there's plenty of way to get involved that don't require calling the game (or eyesight for that matter).

Agreed. Fans deserve better than "Well, he's old so we're keeping him around even though he's out of touch and the game has left him behind".

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 1, 2017 -> 10:56 AM)
Then. Go. Home. Nobody is forcing him to call games. He's a selfish old man, that's basically the takeaway from your post, which I guess was trying to defend him.

No, he wants the 8 decades.

There aren't a lot of people who would rather be at their job than someplace else. Maybe even you would rather be someplace else when you are at work. I guess in your world, that makes you selfish. He appreciates his job, but maybe his mind isn't as into it. He knows he can't sell this team as a contender, especially to himself. But he wants to hang on. I think the broadcast is fine. I know you disagree, and b**** about his eyesight, yet say nothing when Jason acts like a guy just hit a 450 home run that falls about 80 feet short of the wall. For me, when I watch a game, I can see what's going on. Every little mistake doesn't bother me, but then again, I don't have a problem with people because of their age.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:03 AM)
and Benetti isn't???

Two things:

1) He's significantly better than Hawk, which is already a step up

2) Benetti is new in his role with plenty of room for improvement, a luxury Hawk does not have (he's been trending downwards for about 15 years)

If you're going to compare Benetti and Hawk, the only reasonable conclusion is that JB is a better broadcaster in every measurable way AND has room for significant improvement.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:07 AM)
Two things:

2) Benetti is new in his role with plenty of room for improvement, a luxury Hawk does not have (he's been trending downwards for about 15 years

If you're going to compare Benetti and Hawk, the only reasonable conclusion is that JB is a better broadcaster in every measurable way AND has room for significant improvement.

How so?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:03 AM)
this is basically the defense of Hawk you and DA are going with? That because he's old and cranky he gets to do what he wants?

This is a multi billion dollar business FFS not a church bake sale.

As has been noted, there's plenty of way to get involved that don't require calling the game (or eyesight for that matter).

I mean you can try to recognize what is going on, or you can just be angry about it.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
Agreed. Fans deserve better than "Well, he's old so we're keeping him around even though he's out of touch and the game has left him behind".

He's not out of touch with the game. Steve Stone sounds like Hawk's parrot when he is with Jason.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:07 AM)
Two things:

2) Benetti is new in his role with plenty of room for improvement, a luxury Hawk does not have (he's been trending downwards for about 15 years)

I have yet to really notice Benetti in a broadcast. That really is about all I have on him. He is the prototypical 21st century announcer. Some people like that, it bores the crap out of me. The split in time between the two just reminds how little personality is in the booth now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
I mean you can try to recognize what is going on, or you can just be angry about it.

Right. It's possible that Hawk Harrelson is not history's greatest monster and has normal motivations.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:11 AM)
The people who hate on Benetti would hate on his replacement...and then his replacement...and then his replacement and so on.

There are plenty of guys out there would could bring some personality to the booth. Chicago has a long history of it, continuing to this day. It isn't that he is even bad, he is just boring. People talk about Hawk wanting to be there, but for a guy who keeps getting articles published about how excited he is to this, I never actually get that vibe from him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:12 AM)
I have yet to really notice Benetti in a broadcast. That really is about all I have on him. He is the prototypical 21st century announcer. Some people like that, it bores the crap out of me. The split in time between the two just reminds how little personality is in the booth now.

Yeah, Benetti really just asks Stone question after question after question, which gets old by the 4th inning.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:12 AM)

This states my view very eloquently.

Benetti is just a guy. He'll probably be entrenched in the booth for awhile but I'm fairly certain the Sox could've found someone better.

Harry Caray didn't know where he was at the last 10 years of his career, yet he wasn't hated. I would say as far as eyesight and actually seeing what was happening, Chip Caray was a better broadcaster than his grandfather, but that's not all that is involved. I would have much rahter listened to Harry. You are watching the game, if they get the name wrong or the ball is somewhere the broadcaster can't see, if you can complain about it, you really didn't need someone to tell you where it was. I will take all the you can put it on the boards and he gones I can get. I know time is running out. I went to Yankee Stadium many years ago, and Bob Sheppard was the almost 100 year old PA voice of Yankees Stadium. He had Jose Valentin batting 3 times in a row. Who cares, it was cool to hear him.

I like Jason(he also has eyesight issues BTW) . His time is coming. But Hawk has more than earned the right to finish on his terms.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)
Yeah, Benetti really just asks Stone question after question after question, which gets old by the 4th inning.

Definitely a side effect of his relative inexperience in the sport. Something I fully expect to improve.

How much do announcers really effect one's level of interest in the game they are watching? I realize that the older I've gotten, I really don't care who is in the booth. When I watch games, I'm normally multi-tasking, potentially out where the game may be on without volume, or just watching and appreciating the game.

I will give Benetti credit for Sox Math (even though that could be refined as well...but that's a story for a different time). At least that brings viewers in.

I just cannot stand the same corny jokes he makes and Q&A sessions with Stone every night. I'd much rather listen to Hawk's rants and stories from 1970 over and over than what Benetti brings to the table consistently.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
I will give Benetti credit for Sox Math (even though that could be refined as well...but that's a story for a different time). At least that brings viewers in.

I just cannot stand the same corny jokes he makes and Q&A sessions with Stone every night. I'd much rather listen to Hawk's rants and stories from 1970 over and over than what Benetti brings to the table consistently.

Did you know Steve Stone is cheap?

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)
Definitely a side effect of his relative inexperience in the sport. Something I fully expect to improve.

I have no problem the broadcaster defers to the ex player for baseball questions. I don't think Jason will ever be comfortable with the why or hows baseball-wise on his own if he has an ex player color man, and that's fine.

I'm done taking shots at Hawk. We know he's at the end.

But in general, I don't want Baseball 101 non stop from announcers. People can figure stuff out on their own, or find geek stuff on the internet. Call the game. Accentuate the game with some stories or experiences if they're interesting. Other than that, shut up and let me watch the game.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
How much do announcers really effect one's level of interest in the game they are watching? I realize that the older I've gotten, I really don't care who is in the booth. When I watch games, I'm normally multi-tasking, potentially out where the game may be on without volume, or just watching and appreciating the game.

Interest? Usually not. But I do notice a good team will add to the broadcast. I often catch myself listening to Pat Foley and Eddie O more than I am paying attention to the moment in a game when they get onto a good topic.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)

But no one honestly cares about the 1970s. We're in a period where the young talent in the league is as good as ever. A lot of us want to hear about what's going on around the league. If you're going to waste broadcast time, don't talk about the 1970s, stick with here and now.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:31 AM)
Exactly. No one would care who was in the booth past 5-6 years if the Sox were playing well.

I read his comment as "Good broadcast team", but either of your points are valid.

I think more than anything I'm just so disappointed how Hawk has destroyed his broadcast pairing with Stone. I don't even mind if Jason isn't the heir apparent to good Hawk, I just want better chemistry than what happens in the road booth.