Mets looking for rotation help

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 2, 2017 -> 01:12 PM)
Source: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/05/mets...ard-injury.html

Come on down and shop on the South Side! We've got a Holland, and a Gonzalez, James Shields who can be had.

The Mets are the perfect counterexample to why being super-cautious with pitchers is a good idea, and why throwing at 100% for every pitch might not be the best idea.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2017 -> 02:13 PM)
The Mets are the perfect counterexample to why being super-cautious with pitchers is a good idea, and why throwing at 100% for every pitch might not be the best idea.

Also highlights the perils of trying to build solely around young pitching, or at least primarily. The Sox for their part have usually done a good job of balancing out youth with proven vets at the MLB level and also having enough depth in the minors to weather injury storms.

That said, what can the Mets offer for Q?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 2, 2017 -> 01:30 PM)
Also highlights the perils of trying to build solely around young pitching, or at least primarily. The Sox for their part have usually done a good job of balancing out youth with proven vets at the MLB level and also having enough depth in the minors to weather injury storms.

Brandon Nimmo is a name I remember, he's an OF, currently #7 on their top 30 from MLB.com.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

According to MLB.com, they have the #3 prospect in baseball in SS Amed Rosario.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 2, 2017 -> 12:30 PM)

If Rosario is off limits, not much. Dominic Smith would look good in the Sox system, but I'm sure the Sox can get better offers than Smith ++.

I think this is the best way to approach it. Cost controlled pitching is the prime asset in MLB. As stated before it's how they coach them to pitch that is key. Young pitching as a group will have less injury issues than old pitchers.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone in baseball say having to much young MLB pitching is an issue.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 2, 2017 -> 01:55 PM)
I think this is the best way to approach it. Cost controlled pitching is the prime asset in MLB. As stated before it's how they coach them to pitch that is key. Young pitching as a group will have less injury issues than old pitchers.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone in baseball say having to much young MLB pitching is an issue.

Of course no one would complain about having an abundance of cost controlled pitching, but also remember the White Sox system was so barren of any hitting talent, that twice in recent years they had to hit the free agent market for a DH (Thome and Dunn). Spending good money on a DH reeks of desperation. Ideally, I think you want a mixture of position players and pitchers. As for the bolded, look no further than Trea Turner, Alex Bregman, Dansby Swanson, etc. all of whom were said to be off limits in trades for Q. I don't think the prime asset has to be cost controlled pitching anymore.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ May 2, 2017 -> 02:20 PM)
Of course no one would complain about having an abundance of cost controlled pitching, but also remember the White Sox system was so barren of any hitting talent, that twice in recent years they had to hit the free agent market for a DH (Thome and Dunn). Spending good money on a DH reeks of desperation. Ideally, I think you want a mixture of position players and pitchers. As for the bolded, look no further than Trea Turner, Alex Bregman, Dansby Swanson, etc. all of whom were said to be off limits in trades for Q. I don't think the prime asset has to be cost controlled pitching anymore.

Almost every AL team has a FA DH.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 2, 2017 -> 01:55 PM)

You don't but you also don't have too much young hitting. It seems every team that wants Q won't give up their best position prospect, and that is for an established pretty cheap guy signed for a while.

The Sox have to get some hitters. I think the draft pitchers, trade for pitchers, you can trade for hitters later, doesn't work. At this moment, they have plenty of pitching prospects. They have to work on run scoring.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 2, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
Shields would be ideal if he was healthy; but, I'm not sure if the Mets want to take on that much salary.

I would hope the Sox would be willing to eat some of the $20 mill owed to him over next 2 years to get the best possible deal.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 2, 2017 -> 03:27 PM)
I would hope the Sox would be willing to eat some of the $20 mill owed to him over next 2 years to get the best possible deal.

They are already getting $10 million of it paid for, so if he really is a decent pitcher again, $10 million a year isn't that much.

QUOTE (striker @ May 2, 2017 -> 03:40 PM)
With Swarzak, Gonzalez and Holland, we should be able to get some A, A+ talent. I'd give them Gonzalez/Holland and Swarzak for Justin Dunn, Guereror and a flyer.

Gonzalez for one of their SS prospects and a lottery ticket arm.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ May 2, 2017 -> 02:20 PM)

That wasn't the comment. The comment was " this is the perils of having too much young pitching." There are no perils to too much young pitching.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 2, 2017 -> 03:14 PM)
You don't but you also don't have too much young hitting. It seems every team that wants Q won't give up their best position prospect, and that is for an established pretty cheap guy signed for a while.

The Sox have to get some hitters. I think the draft pitchers, trade for pitchers, you can trade for hitters later, doesn't work. At this moment, they have plenty of pitching prospects. They have to work on run scoring.

That wasn't the comment. The comment was " this is the perils of having too much young pitching." There are no perils to too much young pitching.

QUOTE (daggins @ May 2, 2017 -> 04:40 PM)
Yeah Gonzo or Holland seem to match up pretty well with their needs.

Agreed, if Holland and MiGo pitch well they will be gone first. Half season rentals like them won't cost top talent in a trade so there should be a market for both come June/July. Shields needs to get back, stay healthy and pitch decent and he might be easily moved to a team looking for a pitcher that won't cost much in prospects or money.

The real story will be the Q rumors which will probably be nuts and should be alot of fun.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (knightni @ May 2, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
Shields would be ideal if he was healthy; but, I'm not sure if the Mets want to take on that much salary.

Ideal for the White Sox to get rid of, but for the Mets...good gracious.

The only chance to dump Shields is if a)he is pitching really well and b)the Sox eat most of the salary and c)a contender needs 5th starter help.

Holland might yield something, but it will take at least another 6 weeks to provide more proof of his value.

Gonazlez allows too much contact.

The pen, on the other hand, shows more potential for trade.

Edited by GreenSox