5/3 Games

flavum

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 3, 2017 -> 10:57 AM)
It's SUPER premature. Look, the velocity is absolutely a concern and something to pay attention to but it's also not as crazy bad as fathom has been going off on lately. He could be working on stuff, he could be trying to get his mechanics straight or he might just be off to a really bad start. All I know is he's a 22 year old in AAA who has had success in the past and whose breaking ball is at least missing bats at the moment. He's a project at this point but to call him is a disaster is even too fathom-y for fathom.

This is the truth. He is a work in progress. It was widely known that the Nats messed with his mechanics, and that is when his struggles began, with spin rate and other things. The Sox are trying to get Giolito back to where he was mechanically when he was the top pitching prospect in baseball. If he didn't have this issue, it is unlikely he could have been had in trade for Eaton, or even Sale. Giolito has admitted in interviews that he's "in between" the Nats mechanics and where the Sox want him currently.

Edited by Jack Parkman

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ May 3, 2017 -> 10:48 AM)
Wish we had space to bring up Delmonico already.

I'm sorry if I missed this somewhere, but does anyone know why the Brewers released Delmonico in Feb of 2015?

He was only 22 and he's clearly got talent.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ May 3, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)
I'm sorry if I missed this somewhere, but does anyone know why the Brewers released Delmonico in Feb of 2015?

He was only 22 and he's clearly got talent.

probably had to be added to the 40 man after 5 years service in order to protect him?

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 3, 2017 -> 11:40 AM)
probably had to be added to the 40 man after 5 years service in order to protect him?

They wouldn't release a player for that though. You would just leave him off the 40 in hopes no one takes him in Rule 5 draft or whenever.

Didn't he have off the field issues?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2017 -> 11:12 AM)
It's not even just the velocity, but just going by the hard contact off of him this year, it doesn't appear his spin rate has drastically improved. The swings that the opposition gets off the fastball are scary.

The spin rate has nothing to do with it. It looks like he is so afraid to have poor command of the fastball that he leaves it over the plate to much. It's the command that the issue. The location is too good for the hitters too often. If he throws a strike it's too good of a hitters pitch.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 3, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
The spin rate has nothing to do with it. It looks like he is so afraid to have poor command of the fastball that he leaves it over the plate to much. It's the command that the issue. The location is too good for the hitters too often. If he throws a strike it's too good of a hitters pitch.

seems like he's injured then. Command is the first thing to go.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 3, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
They wouldn't release a player for that though. You would just leave him off the 40 in hopes no one takes him in Rule 5 draft or whenever.

Didn't he have off the field issues?

I guess I can do my own research. :D

he tested positive for amphetamine in July of 2014 and was suspended 50 games. Released the following off season. Not sure if there was anything else going on.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 3, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)
What's the scuttlebutt on when Moncada is coming up? Has to be in the next few weeks, no?

I think the service time date is in a couple weeks. I fully expect him to face the Red Sox at the end of the month.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ May 3, 2017 -> 05:46 PM)
I guess I can do my own research. :D

he tested positive for amphetamine in July of 2014 and was suspended 50 games. Released the following off season. Not sure if there was anything else going on.

There was but he won't say what

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 3, 2017 -> 05:43 PM)

He had one of the worst fastball spin rates in baseball last year as well as one of the least effective fastballs I believe. General consensus seemed to be it was due to the spin rate, but I also agree his command stinks

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2017 -> 11:48 AM)
He had one of the worst fastball spin rates in baseball last year as well as one of the least effective fastballs I believe. General consensus seemed to be it was due to the spin rate, but I also agree his command stinks

Either Giolito is injured or he's in-between his old(Nats) mechanics and where the Sox want him to be(I'd assume where he was when he was the top pitching prospect in baseball) He's talked about going back to what feels natural and being in-between mechanically in interviews so I'm going to assume it is the latter for now. Like I said earlier, we couldn't have acquired him via trade if the Nats didn't mess with him and he was still throwing 98 and getting outs. He's a work in progress. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes until 2018 for him to be fixed. Take Giolito's 2017 with a massive grain of salt. If he's still struggling next summer, then panic. I've seen still pics of his throwing motion in different spots. His motion is pretty complex.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 3, 2017 -> 05:54 PM)
Give me 2 solid starters out of that trade in Dunning and Kopech and I'll take it. I don't know why people think Lopez is a reliever.

Agreed, Giolito actually looks like a reliever to me. Seems the more hitters see his offspeed pitches, the more he struggles. Who knows, maybe he throws harder out of the pen. With that said, no rush at all and keep letting him start for next two years.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 3, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
Give me 2 solid starters out of that trade in Dunning and Kopech and I'll take it. I don't know why people think Lopez is a reliever.

I hope Lopez can start, but it has been the opinion of many that watch games that he'll ultimately be a reliever. No shame in that. Same for Kopech. He may be a monster reliever someday.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 3, 2017 -> 10:57 AM)
I hope Lopez can start, but it has been the opinion of many that watch games that he'll ultimately be a reliever. No shame in that. Same for Kopech. He may be a monster reliever someday.

Don't a lot of people who say that, say its because of his size? That tends to be what I have heard when people say Lopez is a reliever.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 3, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
Basabe 0-4, 4K.

Cruz has gone ice cold. He's 0-4. 2 for his last 30.

Collins 1-2, BB.

Schnurbusch 0-3, 3K. His aggressive assignment and ridiculous leap frogging of Fisher didn't work out.

Yeah, Schnurbusch needs to go down with Fisher or Booker coming up. The aggressive assignment isn't doing him any favors at the moment.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ May 3, 2017 -> 11:32 AM)
This is the truth. He is a work in progress. It was widely known that the Nats messed with his mechanics, and that is when his struggles began, with spin rate and other things. The Sox are trying to get Giolito back to where he was mechanically when he was the top pitching prospect in baseball. If he didn't have this issue, it is unlikely he could have been had in trade for Eaton, or even Sale. Giolito has admitted in interviews that he's "in between" the Nats mechanics and where the Sox want him currently.

The Nats also seemed really anxious to put Giolitto into a deal and trade him over the winter too, so who knows what they know that we don't.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 3, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
Give me 2 solid starters out of that trade in Dunning and Lopez and I'll take it. I don't know why people think Lopez is a reliever.

Seriously a potential #2 & #4 cost controlled with the possibility of turning things around with Giolito i'll take that. There have been many pitchers that had to go and start from scratch before it clicked again. Not saying Giolito is Roy Halladay but when he is on he certainly has the stuff, I would gladly take Giolito developing into another project arm in Gavin Floyd. I feel like between all the new accounts on the board and lapse in time a lot of posters have collective amnesia; development isn't linear.