5/3 Games

flavum

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 3, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
Three more hits for Moncada, now hitting .330. He's going to have some teething issues in Chicago, but I don't think he has much left to prove in AAA.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see him get that K rate down closer to 25% before calling him up.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 3, 2017 -> 01:40 PM)
In a perfect world, I'd like to see him get that K rate down closer to 25% before calling him up.

He commands the zone, despite his K rate. He's more Mike Trout than TA. That said, yea, it would be nice if he could cut down the strikeouts. I think Rabbit mentioned that MLB umps will help him as a lot of his Ks are on balls off the plate that are called strikes in Charlotte.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 3, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)

Obviously we all want the k rate to go down but it's not going to stop me from calling him up once May 14th passes. He can continue to get better at the big league level.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 3, 2017 -> 12:51 PM)
He commands the zone, despite his K rate. He's more Mike Trout than TA. That said, yea, it would be nice if he could cut down the strikeouts. I think Rabbit mentioned that MLB umps will help him as a lot of his Ks are on balls off the plate that are called strikes in Charlotte.

Giolito has been awful in AAA so far

I'm surprised how hard he has fallen on his face

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 3, 2017 -> 12:52 PM)
Sox guarantee another service year by waiting til about the third week of May. They would guarantee lesser salaries if they wait til mid June to avoid Super 2. If they wait til then, he's cheaper later and the ML team is probably going to lose more games which is probably a positive.

Isn't that the usual Super 2 deadline? Would you have to add another month to it because of his service time from his call up last year?

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 3, 2017 -> 12:52 PM)
Sox guarantee another service year by waiting til about the third week of May. They would guarantee lesser salaries if they wait til mid June to avoid Super 2. If they wait til then, he's cheaper later and the ML team is probably going to lose more games which is probably a positive.

I would let Moncada stay in the minors until at least mid to late June to avoid Super 2

Even though he is hitting well and showing solid power, he still can benefit from working on reducing that strikeout % and on defense

He's only 21 years old, and there's not much reason to rush him to the majors

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 3, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)

I'd also like to hear more about his glove. I know he's not Micah Johnson out there, but is his defense major league ready? The better he is out there the more favors he'll do for the pitching staff.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)
Isn't that the usual Super 2 deadline? Would you have to add another month to it because of his service time from his call up last year?

Yeah usually around end of May but I don't think the Sox really care about that (granted, I don't think he will be up until after that deadline anyway).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (steveno89 @ May 3, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)
I would let Moncada stay in the minors until at least mid to late June to avoid Super 2

Even though he is hitting well and showing solid power, he still can benefit from working on reducing that strikeout % and on defense

Also allows more time for Saladino/Davidson to prove which one is worth making room for.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ May 3, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)

What's the difference in salary going to be, a couple million?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 3, 2017 -> 12:59 PM)
What's the difference in salary going to be, a couple million?

Yeah basically another pre-arbitration year. Could honestly be more than a few million but as I said, I'm not sure the Sox care about that. It's not like he will be up the next day after that deadline. He'll just be up when he is ready.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 3, 2017 -> 01:03 PM)
Mid June is conservative, safe treatment but you'd be correct as Moncada has 31 service days I wasn't considering. Even if the money is immaterial in the grade scheme of things, I still think it could be prudent financially and forh is development to hold him down til mid July.

I think his strike out rate gives a good enough reason to let him keep pounding Charlotte for a while at least. His numbers have been improving, but it hasn't been the point where it looks as if he has nothing to learn there either. Learn something from a guy like Gordon Beckham who looked ready, but probably wasn't all along.

QUOTE (beautox @ May 3, 2017 -> 01:35 PM)
Leave him down till after the trade deadline. Gives time for Frazier to get his trade value up while giving long looks at Saladino, Sanchez & Leury.

Good in theory, but If they think he's ready to go, he'll be up soon.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 3, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)
Good in theory, but If they think he's ready to go, he'll be up soon.

If he is ready he is ready but i have a suspicion they're going to take their time with him and get as much service time while suppressing his salary as long as possible. 4 cracks at arb is no joke especially if he is Cano 2.0.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 3, 2017 -> 01:12 PM)
Took long enough for Gordon Beckham to be brought up. ;)

True, but I would like to thing relevant here. Moncada has been playing well, but isn't exactly FORCING himself to be called up yet either. His strike out rate is still a pretty significant red flag. He's still sitting just under 1 out of 3 PAs with a K. It's not quite Joey Gallo territory, but you also aren't getting his ridiculous power. Moncada's #1 asset is his speed, which does you no good if he isn't making contact.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2017 -> 01:52 PM)
True, but I would like to thing relevant here. Moncada has been playing well, but isn't exactly FORCING himself to be called up yet either. His strike out rate is still a pretty significant red flag. He's still sitting just under 1 out of 3 PAs with a K. It's not quite Joey Gallo territory, but you also aren't getting his ridiculous power. Moncada's #1 asset is his speed, which does you no good if he isn't making contact.

If Joey Gallo was in the minors he'd still be striking out at a stupid rate, it's just who he is. I've said my opinion 8 million times on this so I really shouldn't be getting back into it but I'll always believe the best way for these guys to get better is to play the best competition. I think it's best for Yoan's development to be in the majors as soon as possible but I know a ton of people are going to disagree with me.

QUOTE (beautox @ May 3, 2017 -> 01:35 PM)
Leave him down till after the trade deadline. Gives time for Frazier to get his trade value up while giving long looks at Saladino, Sanchez & Leury.

This is the other part of that. The people who are up are playing pretty well in general. Sanchez and Leury are off to great starts, and while Saladino hasn't hit great since the first few days of the season, he #4 in all in all of baseball at 2B in fangraphs dWAR with 30 less PAs than anyone else in front of him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2017 -> 01:52 PM)

Thankfully Moncada has been performing, because Giolito has been terrible so far

It's very surprising to see his performance fall so far off. Hopefully he can get back on track eventually.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 3, 2017 -> 01:03 PM)
Mid June is conservative, safe treatment but you'd be correct as Moncada has 31 service days I wasn't considering. Even if the money is immaterial in the grade scheme of things, I still think it could be prudent financially and forh is development to hold him down til mid July.

Interesting on how the Super 2 tipping point not only effects the 3rd year contract, but every year from there on out.

http://www.truebluela.com/2017/5/3/1553357...uestion-dodgers