The Rotation and Covey Situation

flavum

Realistically the Sox aren't going to get rid of the guy now, to bring someone else up, only to get rid of that pitcher later as well. As of today Pelfrey is pitcher #0 on the depth chart. When Shields or Rodon is ready, he will be the first guy to go in all likelihood. Covey won't go until at least that situation is done. Realistically if the Sox see something they think they can get out of Covey in a year or two, they will hide him in the pen for the rest of the season. If not, he will get offered back. After the injuries, we still have to make room to see someboyd like Lopez soon enough as well.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally would like for the Sox to keep throwing Covey out there as a starter. In my opinion, that gives him the best chance to continue his development and rectify his flaws as a pitcher.

It's not like the Sox are playing for anything.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 8, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
I personally would like for the Sox to keep throwing Covey out there as a starter. In my opinion, that gives him the best chance to continue his development and rectify his flaws as a pitcher.

It's not like the Sox are playing for anything.

His flaws aren't really fixable without a huge jump in velocity or stuff.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 8, 2017 -> 10:16 AM)
Well Kopech isn't going to be up next season (maybe September) so there's that. I do expect Rodon, Fulmer, Lopez, Giolito (hopefully) and Shields to be in the roster, barring a Shields trade. So there should be opportunity for Danish to get starts as the Sox usually are careful about watching guys' innings and skipping and giving more rest. Could even go 6-man rotation.

He's doing well in AA, will see AAA later this year. And break with the team next year in spring training. Only reason young guys have been "held back" to this point is because they already have some service time. Won't happen with guys like Kopech.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ May 8, 2017 -> 04:53 PM)
He's doing well in AA, will see AAA later this year. And break with the team next year in spring training.

The big thing that is going to slow Kopech down is his IP totals. His largest total is 65 IP in 2015. He threw less in 2016. Approaching 3 total minor league seasons, he has 159 IPs, total. He has a LONG way to go before he will be in shape to throw a minor league season, let alone a major league one.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 8, 2017 -> 07:38 AM)
Rebuilding year. You do not dump Covey and bring up Fulmer to replace him. Instead you wait until Fulmer or Danish is "considered" ready and then you make the move. Young players getting called up should be based on their progress not on someone not performing at the ML level. Now if Anderdson and Saladino collide on a play and both are out for the year, then you may be forced to rush Moncada and Delmonico. If Q ends up on the DL then you may have to rush a starter from Charlotte to stay competitive. Otherwise patience is needed.

If you can't handle some early struggles as a major league ballplayer psychologically you are not cut out for the majors, plain and simple. This team is going no where soon, there is literally zero pressure to perform at a high level immediately. Unless there are obvious flaws there is no need to have them fatten up their stats in AAA on inferior competition. I don't care how good they look in AAA if they can't hit major league pitching/handle major league hitting.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2017 -> 04:55 PM)
The big thing that is going to slow Kopech down is his IP totals. His largest total is 65 IP in 2015. He threw less in 2016. Approaching 3 total minor league seasons, he has 159 IPs, total. He has a LONG way to go before he will be in shape to throw a minor league season, let alone a major league one.

Then go with the 6 man rotation or start him every other 5th day. If he is getting batters out consistently he has nothing more to learn at that level.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ May 8, 2017 -> 04:57 PM)
If you can't handle some early struggles as a major league ballplayer psychologically you are not cut out for the majors, plain and simple. This team is going no where soon, there is literally zero pressure to perform at a high level immediately. Unless there are obvious flaws there is no need to have them fatten up their stats in AAA on inferior competition. I don't care how good they look in AAA if they can't hit major league pitching/handle major league hitting.

Only to an extent. To ignore that a maturation and growth process does happen over a period of time between 18-22 and older is foolish. Someone could well be better equipped to handle failure at 26, than they at 23, even more than they are at 18. Kids grow up. It isn't an absolute cut or dried thing.

There is a reason we don't throw high school kids straight into the major league game no matter how talented they are.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ May 8, 2017 -> 05:01 PM)
Then go with the 6 man rotation or start him every other 5th day. If he is getting batters out consistently he has nothing more to learn at that level.

There is a pretty good chance he will hit a wall in the next month or two, assuming he stays healthy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2017 -> 05:02 PM)
Only to an extent. To ignore that a maturation and growth process does happen over a period of time between 18-22 and older is foolish. Someone could well be better equipped to handle failure at 26, than they at 23, even more than they are at 18. Kids grow up. It isn't an absolute cut or dried thing.

There is a reason we don't throw high school kids straight into the major league game no matter how talented they are.

Some recent ones off the top of my head who were very young and have done fine - Machado, Trout, Urias.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ May 8, 2017 -> 05:05 PM)
Some recent ones off the top of my head who were very young and have done fine - Machado, Trout, Urias.

Putting an immature, young, and physically non-conditioned pitcher in the big leagues is a terrible idea. There is absolutely zero good reason to rush Michael Kopech. None.

I think once Shields is back you can dump Covey in the bullpen where he can be coached up on a daily basis by the ML coaches and then be used in low leverage situations until the Sox make a decision on whether to keep him long term or not. Then when Rodon comes back they will need to make a determination of whether he is worth that roster spot going forward.

Covey is exactly the kind of guy you want to have during a rebuild, a guy with a high level pedigree that hasn't been able to make it click. If you get the lights to come on, you have a gold mine, if not you dump him for cash and move on to the next project.