Nationals acquire Doolittle/Madson from As

Whisox05

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 02:33 PM)
I never said they didn't have to make a move to win post season. Go back and look. That was never the point I was trying to make. They don't have to do anything...yet. They can wait for more teams to fall out of contention and more options to be available. 10 game lead in standings...they'll wait a bit.

Ugh.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 04:33 PM)
I never said they didn't have to make a move to win post season. Go back and look. That was never the point I was trying to make. They don't have to do anything...yet. They can wait for more teams to fall out of contention and more options to be available. 10 game lead in standings...they'll wait a bit.

Honest question: don't teams care at all about post-season seeding? Are they content to win the division by 8-10 games and finish with the fourth best record in the league?

Sox should be packaging DRob with Jones to pull the best prospects from a team. Same thing with Q. Don't worry so much about getting multiple prospects at this point, just offer enough to get the best prospects from other teams. So, Q and Jones for.... Or Frazier and Jones for....

just focus on getting the top prospect, not a haul of players.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 06:57 PM)
Sox should be packaging DRob with Jones to pull the best prospects from a team. Same thing with Q. Don't worry so much about getting multiple prospects at this point, just offer enough to get the best prospects from other teams.

Jones - he hath been on the DL since what... April?

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 06:58 PM)
Jones - he hath been on the DL since what... April?

Yep, I was editing while you typed this. I just don't think they should focus on the max they can get for Q or DRob. Throw in another veteran with the idea that it doesn't matter if we "win" the trade. We just want a number 1 prospect.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 07:03 PM)
Yep, I was editing while you typed this. I just don't think they should focus on the max they can get for Q or DRob. Throw in another veteran with the idea that it doesn't matter if we "win" the trade. We just want a number 1 prospect.

I could see Q + Frazier / Melky and Robertson + Kahnle / Swarzak packages being offered.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 03:57 AM)
They have won 3 in a row and have an 11 game lead. if they haven't been willing to meet the price for Robertson yet, it looks like it may be a while. They need some bullpen help, no one is saying otherwise, but the huge lead gives them time.

Yep we needed mets to win this weekend series in order to put pressure on them to improve

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 07:52 AM)
Why do posters continue to dream up "packaging" this player with that player in trade, when this has not been Hahn's preference in word or in deed?

I suppose anything's possible, but I don't recall him wanting to do things that way...

Because the deadline is a different beast and teams are oftentimes looking to fill multiple holes in one deal if possible. And on occasion, teams have been able to successfully package a secondary piece to land a blue chip prospect (see the Shark trade to Oakland).

While multi-player trades are far more complex and more difficult to complete, I do think packaging two relievers in a deal with the Nationals makes a ton of sense for both clubs. There will no doubt be other quality relievers on the market, but I doubt many teams will have three them available at once. We can differentiate ourselves as the one-stop for a team like the Nationals who need more than just a closer. That could go a long way towards us getting a quality return.

QUOTE (skooch @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 06:31 PM)
Honest question: don't teams care at all about post-season seeding? Are they content to win the division by 8-10 games and finish with the fourth best record in the league?

In MLB as long as you are not in the 1 game play in, it doesn't matter as much.