Nationals acquire Doolittle/Madson from As

Whisox05

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)
He had also only given up one hit to that point and had two outs. Ended the game with 121 pitches.

I mean just watching the broadcast you could tell he was gassed. Was quickly losing control and threw the ball 5 feet over the catcher's head to the backstop to tie the game on a wild pitch. No chance Dusty leaves him in if he's got a real closer.

Check all the angry tweets by Nats fans pinning this one on the lack of a bullpen. The frustration is real.

Edited by Username

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the White Sox are known to be open for business, Heyman reports that there isn’t presently much of a market for Todd Frazier or Melky Cabrera. He hears that the Sox would “have to practically give [Frazier] away” or at eat virtually all of his salary in a trade. Frazier’s swinging a hot bat in June (.269/.351/.537, five homers), so perhaps he’s beginning to turn it around and boost that stock. Cabrera, meanwhile, is hitting quite well in 2017 after a slow start to the year, as he’s slashed .331/.386/.480 over the past calendar month. I’d imagine, however, that his $15MM salary and defensive shortcomings limit his market despite the improved production. Also of ChiSox note: Heyman writes that there’s no evidence of recent talks with the Nationals regarding David Robertson.

Www.mlbtraderumors.com

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 06:38 PM)
While the White Sox are known to be open for business, Heyman reports that there isn’t presently much of a market for Todd Frazier or Melky Cabrera. He hears that the Sox would “have to practically give [Frazier] away” or at eat virtually all of his salary in a trade. Frazier’s swinging a hot bat in June (.269/.351/.537, five homers), so perhaps he’s beginning to turn it around and boost that stock. Cabrera, meanwhile, is hitting quite well in 2017 after a slow start to the year, as he’s slashed .331/.386/.480 over the past calendar month. I’d imagine, however, that his $15MM salary and defensive shortcomings limit his market despite the improved production. Also of ChiSox note: Heyman writes that there’s no evidence of recent talks with the Nationals regarding David Robertson.

Www.mlbtraderumors.com

Robertson and Q are the only White Sox that are rumored to be trade bait who have value. People that have mentioned Melky and Frazier and the like really surprise me, cause they, especially the stat lovers, should know better.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 02:44 PM)
Robertson and Q are the only White Sox that are rumored to be trade bait who have value. People that have mentioned Melky and Frazier and the like really surprise me, cause they, especially the stat lovers, should know better.

No one here has ever said Melky and Frazier will bring back a lot. Not sure where you're reading that says otherwise.

Edited by soxfan2014

If there's a Leury Garcia type out there for either, take it.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

I don't understand why you keep saying "stat lovers." How do you tell how good a baseball player is? By how well they wear their uniform?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 03:29 PM)
I don't understand why you keep saying "stat lovers." How do you tell how good a baseball player is? By how well they wear their uniform?

You're talking to a guy who thinks Anderson looks like a catcher and that draft position doesn't matter. His brain simply isn't logic/data driven. Only god knows what drives his ridiculous opinions.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 03:29 PM)

Obviously by their TWTW aura.

I always thought Melky, even if he doesn't show as a good/great player, would be a solid addition for a team who can use another bat in the lineup. Good contact hitter, seems to be doing much better after a slow start; he won't bring much back, but he can help somebody, especially as a DH (or LF) who can be replaced for defensive purposes.

I see only 2 other possibilities of guys with proven track records as closers that the Nats could go for. Jim Johnson and Mark Melancon. Neither have had as good a season as Robertson. Melancon has been very poor this season.

All are about the same age. Robertson has a very affordable contract next year for 13 million. Melancon has 13 million next year and 17 million the following 2 years as player options so I cant see the Nats taking on that contract.

Jim Johnson has a very friendly contract at 5 million next year. However, he just has not been as good as robertson the last few years and it isnt very close either.

This deal is about as obvious as there is out there. And the Sox should have the Nats by the balls.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
Jon Heyman‏Verified account @JonHeyman 2m2 minutes ago K-Rod being pursued by Nats, and likely to go to them. Word is, they need bullpen help.

Haha as soon as I saw the Tigers released him I expected the desperate Nats to pick him up. Problem is K-Rod has been awful this season.

Giving up 9 home runs in 25 innings is a really bad sign for an aging closer.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 09:42 AM)
i really dont understand what Rizzo is doing. This bullpen construction looks like a rebuilding team throwing together a pen, not a team that has a playoff worthy offense and starting pitching

I think he's trying to hold out like DA and some others have suggested, obviously due to the lead they have, but at the same time, see if he can cheaply find a combination of guys, that when put in certain roles, might actually achieve more than the sum of their parts.

It's pretty clear that any GM that has a reasonably performing bullpen arm is asking him for Robles, Fedde, Soto, etc., and he is hesitant to empty out his farm system even more after the Eaton deal.

How much do you think Rizzo wishes he could have that Eaton trade back, so he could use those pieces to fix his pen?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
I think he's trying to hold out like DA and some others have suggested, obviously due to the lead they have, but at the same time, see if he can cheaply find a combination of guys, that when put in certain roles, might actually achieve more than the sum of their parts.

It's pretty clear that any GM that has a reasonably performing bullpen arm is asking him for Robles, Fedde, Soto, etc., and he is hesitant to empty out his farm system even more after the Eaton deal.

How much do you think Rizzo wishes he could have that Eaton trade back, so he could use those pieces to fix his pen?

I think this "do-over for the Eaton trade" narrative is overblown. Obviously Eaton's injury changes the team's outlook this year, but the trade itself wasn't that lopsided. Besides, based on their performance this season alone, two-thirds of the return package (Giolito and Lopez) would have seen their trade value drop.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)
i really dont understand what Rizzo is doing. This bullpen construction looks like a rebuilding team throwing together a pen, not a team that has a playoff worthy offense and starting pitching

It is the same thing the Tigers did during their run. I mean if you are going to spend like that, just spend a bit more and do it right.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)

Its more of a overview of "wtf is this" as opposed to "why is he signing guys like K Rod right now". This was preventable, and i am not even talking about adding Robertson. the bullpen was a nightmare to start the season, and everyone knew it. All of us were posting this winter "dont they want Robertson?" simply by looking at their pen(and shuddering).

I know bullpens are volatile and its hard to count on them, but he was really going out on a limb with what he put together, and now he is backed into a corner looking for multiple pitchers as opposed to grabbing a pitcher that could solidify the pen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 12:07 PM)
It is the same thing the Tigers did during their run. I mean if you are going to spend like that, just spend a bit more and do it right.

The Tigers pen was pretty decent for a little while. the last couple competitive years were pretty messy though

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 10:03 AM)
I think this "do-over for the Eaton trade" narrative is overblown. Obviously Eaton's injury changes the team's outlook this year, but the trade itself wasn't that lopsided. Besides, based on their performance this season alone, two-thirds of the return package (Giolito and Lopez) would have seen their trade value drop.

I didn't mean it that way...I meant solely from a reallocation of assets perspective.

Kinda like that time in high school when you blew your wad on an expensive stereo for your car, only to have transmission drop out on you 2 months later.

Oh, and the way Giolito is pitching recently, I don't think his value would be perceived as having dropped - I think it's quite the opposite - I think he is probably being seen as a better prospect right now than the day we traded for him.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 12:03 PM)

Eaton is a very good player on a long term contract. That was not going to come cheaply, not matter what.

Giolito/Lopez stock would likely be down, but Dunning's stock should be up. I still feel like it could end up being a fair deal for both teams.