Nationals acquire Doolittle/Madson from As

Whisox05

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 09:15 PM)
Absolutely. Sox have exactly what they need.

They're still stinging from the fan base over the Eaton trade, so I think they'll ride this out all the way to the deadline before they make another deal with the Sox. They have some cushion in the standings to do so now, but by July 31, when attention to the postseason starts to kick in, they'll be better able to justify another trade with the Sox that costs them more top prospects.

We just need to hope Robertson continues to pitch well the next six, seven weeks.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 10:34 PM)
Soto, Kieboom, Luzardo for Robertson, Swarzak - do the Nats say yes?

No way from the Nationals side. They are desperate for bullpen pitching, but they should be able to find help cheaper than Soto, kieboom and luzardo.

Robertson and kahnle could be interesting to pair up in a trade?

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 08:38 PM)
They're still stinging from the fan base over the Eaton trade, so I think they'll ride this out all the way to the deadline before they make another deal with the Sox. They have some cushion in the standings to do so now, but by July 31, when attention to the postseason starts to kick in, they'll be better able to justify another trade with the Sox that costs them more top prospects.

We just need to hope Robertson continues to pitch well the next six, seven weeks.

I've been arguing with DA over this, and I understand the point, but I've got the be honest. This is getting real ugly. I just don't know that I would play with fire with my big league roster to try and protect myself from overpaying a bit to remedy this bullpen.

You don't want this to continue much longer.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 10:58 PM)
I've been arguing with DA over this, and I understand the point, but I've got the be honest. This is getting real ugly. I just don't know that I would play with fire with my big league roster to try and protect myself from overpaying a bit to remedy this bullpen.

You don't want this to continue much longer.

I'm not sure the Nationals can let their bullpen woes continue until the deadline. 11 blown save and it's not even mid June yet. At this rate they are in store for another 3 to 5 blown save by the deadline in what could amount to important games.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 10:38 PM)

Totally see your point, but I think they will be more desperate to shore up that bullpen sooner rather than later (doesn't mean it will come from the Sox). Not doing something sends a bad message to the fans too. This team won't go anywhere in the playoffs with out a dependable back end to their pen.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 11:04 PM)
Totally see your point, but I think they will be more desperate to shore up that bullpen sooner rather than later (doesn't mean it will come from the Sox). Not doing something sends a bad message to the fans too. This team won't go anywhere in the playoffs with out a dependable back end to their pen.

Nationals really need several quality bullpen pieces in order to be ready to win in the playoffs.

They need to go out and trade for a setup man and a closer.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 10:34 PM)
Soto, Kieboom, Luzardo for Robertson, Swarzak - do the Nats say yes?

I would drop Kieboom out of that. That's too much from Washington's side. Soto looks he's becoming a very good prospect fast. Make it Soto plus a lottery ticket or two for Robertson and Swarzak. You make this move, then move Kahnle in to the closer role and see if he blossoms in to something great?

Petricka had a nice game last night, would be great if he could go on a little run up until the deadline. I think packaging a secondary arm like him or Swarzak could go a long towards differentiating Robertson on the market. And if someone is willing to pay a steep price, Kahnle should be on the table as well.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
This isn't the first time he's said it, either.

But DA, I thought that all was wonderful in Washington?

I think they are pretty happy with the standings.

Dusty isn't the GM.

Oh no, the lead is down to 8, better trade all the top prospects for David Robertson.

You really want to mess that team up, start panicking when they are comfortably in first place.

Edited by Dick Allen

I agree with DA. They'll make a move before it's too late but with the division they play in and the current lead they have, the Nats have time to wait a little longer before they start making moves. As long as they add BP guys before the deadline and post-season, that's all that really matters.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 09:40 AM)
I think they are pretty happy with the standings.

Dusty isn't the GM.

Oh no, the lead is down to 8, better trade all the top prospects for David Robertson.

You really want to mess that team up, start panicking when they are comfortably in first place.

While I agree they have the luxury to wait if they must. I did laugh at you spinning the idea of them solving their bullpen woes in to something that would mess the team up :lol:

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 07:43 AM)
I agree with DA. They'll make a move before it's too late but with the division they play in and the current lead they have, the Nats have time to wait a little longer before they start making moves. As long as they add BP guys before the deadline and post-season, that's all that really matters.

If you guys think other GMs aren't seeing this s*** and licking their chops, you are nuts.

It is NOT a good look when your manager continues to beg the GM through the press to find him some bullpen help.

I concede they can win this division even without a bullpen, but you're nuts if you think this isn't raising the price they will pay.

And it isn't like they only need one arm...they need 3-4 arms. Rizzo has some work to do.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 09:59 AM)
If you guys think other GMs aren't seeing this s*** and licking their chops, you are nuts.

It is NOT a good look when your manager continues to beg the GM through the press to find him some bullpen help.

I concede they can win this division even without a bullpen, but you're nuts if you think this isn't raising the price they will pay.

And it isn't like they only need one arm...they need 3-4 arms. Rizzo has some work to do.

Eh, probably be more guys available the longer they wait.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 09:59 AM)

What raises the price is other teams needing the same thing.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
This isn't the first time he's said it, either.

But DA, I thought that all was wonderful in Washington?

Washington did this to itself, and now has to make the painful decision of going all in for 2017 and acquiring multiple bullpen pieces or leaving the team with a glaring weakness that will likely result in an early playoff exit.

I certainly would continue to dangle Robertson and either Kahnle/Swarzak as the antidote to their problems.

A Robertson and Kahnle bundle would be incredibly attractive to any contender.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 10:08 AM)
Apparently neither of you two have negotiated much in your life.

It's not like they have to negotiate with one team. They have/will have other options. Herrera will be available, Colome may be available, Hand is available, and anyone else who is available we don't know about along with anyone else who will be available. They can trade for the lower priced reliever(s) and still improve their BP. It's not Robertson or bust. They can move on to another team if they don't like the price on Robertson.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 10:21 AM)
It's not like they have to negotiate with one team. They have/will have other options. Herrera will be available, Colome may be available, Hand is available, and anyone else who is available we don't know about along with anyone else who will be available. They can trade for the lower priced reliever(s) and still improve their BP. It's not Robertson or bust. They can move on to another team if they don't like the price on Robertson.

True, but teams know the situation the Nationals are in and will all be looking to exploit that. Robertson's contract only runs through next season, which does line up with their window of contention before Harper likely bolts in free agency.

It's not like Colome or Hand would necessarily come cheaply either? Herrera has not been great this season and has given up 7 home runs in 25 innings and has a 5.08 FIP.

Sox are certainly sellers, and Robertson very well is the best closer on the market, along with relievers like Kahnle and Swarzak.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 08:32 AM)
True, but teams know the situation the Nationals are in and will all be looking to exploit that. Robertson's contract only runs through next season, which does line up with their window of contention before Harper likely bolts in free agency.

It's not like Colome or Hand would necessarily come cheaply either? Herrera has not been great this season and has given up 7 home runs in 25 innings and has a 5.08 FIP.

Sox are certainly sellers, and Robertson very well is the best closer on the market, along with relievers like Kahnle and Swarzak.

Exactly right. Every GM in the League is watching this. Remember Rizzo's quote a month or so ago saying something to the effect of "these closers don't come cheap"? We heard every team is asking for Robles. These Mfers are like sharks in the water, circling for blood.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)
Exactly right. Every GM in the League is watching this. Remember Rizzo's quote a month or so ago saying something to the effect of "these closers don't come cheap"? We heard every team is asking for Robles. These Mfers are like sharks in the water, circling for blood.

Exactly. Teams are absolutely going to prey on the Nationals HUGE bullpen needs and keep a very steep price for a deadline deal.

The Nationals will not be the only contender looking for bullpen help as the deadline nears either. Contenders almost always want to add a quality bullpen piece to bolster a playoff push.

While guys like Hand and Colome might become availabe, Robertson and co. are definitely available via trade. That does not mean the price will be cheap, and if I am the White Sox the pricetag just tripled from what it was in the offseason.