Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 11:08 PM)
Don't give up hope man... 1, 2, 3, and 4 are all still in sight. ??

It's over man. The Sox can't seem to do anything right these days. This win sucked because Yoan had the bomb but our youth of the future wasn't the big part of it. If they don't get at least a top two pick this season is a failure. No reason to be winning so many useless games when other teams are tanking hard.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 09:18 PM)
It's over man. The Sox can't seem to do anything right these days. This win sucked because Yoan had the bomb but our youth of the future wasn't the big part of it. If they don't get at least a top two pick this season is a failure. No reason to be winning so many useless games when other teams are tanking hard.

Sorry dude - we just don't see eye to eye on many regards.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 11:21 PM)
Sorry dude - we just don't see eye to eye on many regards.

This season was about obtaining a top 3 pick, if we get fourth or 5th it will be a letdown. I don't mind wins that occur because our future plays great, but these wins where guys who wont be here make the difference suck. Just like the Bears needed to be in top position to grab a qb last year, and the Bulls need a top 3 pick to grab one of the three studs coming into the NBA next year.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 11:18 PM)

I agree it's over in regards to top 3, but 4th isn't a failure. Starting the season 15-12 got them Rutherford and a couple other guys. And then they actually did go out and play a month at 4-23. That stretch is still netting a very high pick.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 11:27 PM)
This season was about obtaining a top 3 pick, if we get fourth or 5th it will be a letdown. I don't mind wins that occur because our future plays great, but these wins where guys who wont be here make the difference suck. Just like the Bears needed to be in top position to grab a qb last year, and the Bulls need a top 3 pick to grab one of the three studs coming into the NBA next year.

This isn't the NBA, and there's no consensus top-3 guy that is an absolute must-draft. Picking anywhere in the top 5 is absolutely fine

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 09:52 PM)
Phillies lost, Detroit lost, Giants lost....Sox....won. :(

0.5 GB of Detroit for the 3rd pick

2 GB of the Phillies for the 2nd pick

2.5 GB of the Giants for the 1st pick

9 games left for the Sox.

Buckle up folks - it's gonna be a fun ride.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 09:27 PM)

We just don't see eye to eye and rather than spending time debating a dead horse, I'll instead just say ukalukadoodoo and leave it at that.

ukalukadoodoo.

Friday:

Won- White Sox, Mets, Braves, A's

Lost- Giants, Phillies, Tigers, Reds, Padres, Pirates

9 days left

Team (Games left) - Sox Magic Number to have higher pick:

1. Giants(8) - 11 (-2.5 GB)

2. Phillies(8) - 11 (-2.5 GB)

3. Tigers(8) - 9 (+0.5 GA)*

4. White Sox(9)

5. Reds(8) - 6 (+3.5 GA)**

6. Mets(9) - 5

7. Padres(8) - 3

8. Pirates(8) - 2

9. Braves(10) - 3

10. A's(9) - 2

*Tigers have to be a half game worse with the remaining schedule to have a higher pick than the Sox

**Reds have to be 3.5 games worse with the remaining schedule to have a higher pick than the Sox

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 11:27 PM)

No it wasn't. It was about putting themselves into a position to accumulate talent and have it progress as it grows. Winning games because of that talent is not a bad thing. Getting big stretches from Moncada, Anderson, etc is more important than the difference between the 3rd and 5th pick.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 12:23 PM)
Glad to see someone else beat me to this.

Let me clarify, I was speaking in terms of the fans. For the fans to go through this miserable season it was about a top three pick. You all know that I am right no matter how much you deny it. In fact, the whole point of this thread is to track that pick, and going through the pages the evidence is clear that everyone wants a top 2 pick. People even wanted to lose to the Cubs to get a better pick, which is something I'd never cheer for, F them. I wasn't on board for the rebuild at first but everyone wanted a top 2 pick for sure out of this draft. Everyone in fact wanted Beer with number 1 I believe. The organization wants development but we didn't, that's the letdown I'm talking about. Because we had to suffer through this season, and to get the 5th pick is a letdown. As far as the guy who says we don't see eye to eye, I could give a crap to to be honest.

Edited by SonofaRoache

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 12:16 PM)
Let me clarify, I was speaking in terms of the fans. For the fans to go through this miserable season it was about a top three pick. You all know that I am right no matter how much you deny it. In fact, the whole point of this thread is to track that pick, and going through the pages the evidence is clear that everyone wants a top 2 pick. People even wanted to lose to the Cubs to get a better pick, which is something I'd never cheer for, F them. I wasn't on board for the rebuild at first but everyone wanted a top 2 pick for sure out of this draft. Everyone in fact wanted Beer with number 1 I believe. The organization wants development but we didn't, that's the letdown I'm talking about. Because we had to suffer through this season, and to get the 5th pick is a letdown. As far as the guy who says we don't see eye to eye, I could give a crap to to be honest.

Wanting a top pick and understanding that the success of our young players is more vital isn't mutually exclusive. If we had gotten failures out of Anderson, Moncada, Fulmer, Giolito, Lopez etc, this rebuild is way more screwed than the difference between the 3rd and 5th picks. To me that seems obvious.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 01:16 PM)

I would disagree. That was part of the point of the season. The other part and the part I enjoyed more was watching the young players such as Moncada, Lopez, Giolito and Delmonico develop and play well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 02:48 PM)
Wanting a top pick and understanding that the success of our young players is more vital isn't mutually exclusive. If we had gotten failures out of Anderson, Moncada, Fulmer, Giolito, Lopez etc, this rebuild is way more screwed than the difference between the 3rd and 5th picks. To me that seems obvious.

I agree with this and stated as much. That's why I said I was upset with wins where guys who aren't a part of our future suck. This is our true tank year and having a top pick plus better pool money would be nice. It's still attainable though.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 03:11 PM)
I would disagree. That was part of the point of the season. The other part and the part I enjoyed more was watching the young players such as Moncada, Lopez, Giolito and Delmonico develop and play well.

I don't disagree with you on loving progress of our players who are our future. The point of this thread was in fact to track our pick. Each day standings are posted and scenarios given of how we can beat out Detroit, Philly, and SF for the number one pick. This thread is also full of posts of several ways posters wanted to lose so our guys played well and still lost. It's okay to want the number one pick and feel a little bad if we get 5. Doesn't make anyone less of a man or a fan.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 02:48 PM)

The sooner people get this, the better.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 11:16 AM)

ukalukadoodoo :wub:

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 03:18 PM)
I don't disagree with you on loving progress of our players who are our future. The point of this thread was in fact to track our pick. Each day standings are posted and scenarios given of how we can beat out Detroit, Philly, and SF for the number one pick. This thread is also full of posts of several ways posters wanted to lose so our guys played well and still lost. It's okay to want the number one pick and feel a little bad if we get 5. Doesn't make anyone less of a man or a fan.

I agree. I was just responding to the comment that the only point of the season was to follow the games for the pick. I agree it's one of the reasons just not the only one.