Keith Law Mock Draft 2.0

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 08:07 AM)
Scouting reports I've seen seem to think Burger could actually stick at 3B, which would help his value a ton.

Huira by all accounts is a below average defensive player and currently does not have a true position

Ideally Haseley is on the board for us, although I doubt he falls out of the top ten. I am not shutting the door on selecting a pitcher either if they are the best player available.

The scouting reports are negative on Hiura's defense because it is a complete unknown, though the guy at fangraphs seems to think his speed and footwork are adequate for 2B based on the fielding work he's done in practice. No one knows anything about his arm, though, because he needs surgery to repair it. He doesn't need much of an arm for 2B though, and there's still a small, outside chance he could play CF. His bat should develop in such a way to make it adequate or better for a corner OF spot, so if he can play either of the more premium defensive positions, he's more valuable.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)
So is the thinking that for us to get Hasely there would be a run on college pitchers in the top ten? Or a run on the HS outfielders?

Beck, Adell, and Kendall likely need to go top 10 for Haseley to fall to Sox. Or Shane Baz or Faedo or someone unexpected needs to go top 10. Not likely IMO.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
Beck, Adell, and Kendall likely need to go top 10 for Haseley to fall to Sox. Or Shane Baz or Faedo or someone unexpected needs to go top 10. Not likely IMO.

Risk averse teams would have a tough time passing on Haseley for Adell or Kendall. I think Adell and Kendall are higher upside players than Haseley, but carry considerably more risk

QUOTE (bmags @ May 31, 2017 -> 01:28 PM)
I don't know if this is true.

How many low power guys become high power guys?

How many slow guys become fast guys?

Weak arm guys become strong arm?

Seems reductive, but I'd bet hit tool actually develops better than those. Fielding I'd say is probably the most likely to improve, as we hear players are just not getting the reps in prep.

What's more likely, is can you afford to be really bad in an any one area and still be anything more than a role player/spot starter?

Of those that are still really good, I'd bet they are great at speed and fielding.

Or, they have a great hit tool/power, but you have to put them at DH.

I think a question is whether a guy with 50s across the board and 55 speed is more likely to blossom into a star than a guy with a 40 hit tool hitting enough to make his other skills worth it and be a star.

Maybe if we draft Logan Warmouth we are definitely getting a Major League infielder.

Or maybe we'd just be getting a Brett Lawrie slashline and are constantly hoping for a star in their place.

I wouldn't describe those you listed as "fixable flaws."

However, I agree that maybe the better way to frame it is "if you have one awful tool, which is the one that hurts the most?" And I'd say it's hit tool.