Kathy Griffin Does Something Very Stupid

greg775

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 31, 2017 -> 06:28 PM)
I thought you hated the PC police, Greg? I thought you were all about people speaking their mind?

She definitely has the right to do what she did. I applaud her use of Free Speech. I have no problems with her doing "what" she did.

Personally? I was grossed out by it. I don't think it was funny. As you may recall I wrote some stuff on here about how we have to add having our heads chopped off to the list of things we need to worry about every day walking the streets or going to the movies. At any moment somebody might come out of nowhere and chop our heads off.

So PERSONALLY I didn't like it. Generally I didn't like it as it depicts murder of the president. As far as her right to do it? I applaud her for using her free speech ticket. But like Sinead O'Connor, she will pay with the end of her career.

In short ... I love we live in a country where you can do something like that and not get arrested or killed in response by the president who you implied you wanted dead (I know, it's a joke) ... but I also am PERSONALLY turned off by it and feel with free speech comes repercussions and for her that means the end of her career.

But I am all for her speaking her mind. I think I have the right to be personally grossed out and offended and concerned. I mean nobody can really explain the joke or the message it was supposed to convey. We haven't had Andy Warhol-like humor in a while; I guess it was Warhol-ish.

QUOTE (Tony @ May 31, 2017 -> 06:37 PM)
It's 2017 and we just went through the election. Using the word "horrified" to describe ANYTHING Kathy Griffin does is ridiculous.

She's an idiot. It was a terrible PR stunt gone wrong and her career is going to pay for it, as it should. What more do you want?

Well, I personally saw it on Twitter where it was posted and HAD to look at it as I use Twitter. So it was thrust upon me giving me the right (I thought) to express displeasure about it during the news cycle of the incident. What more do I want?

I don't think it's unreasonable to discuss it and give an opinion on it since we're not even 24 hours removed from the initial post of it on Twitter where I had to look at it and go, OMG that's Trump's head, WTF is this?

What kind of question is, 'What more do I want?" Can't we discuss things that happen, even when it involves criticizing a Trump hater?

So Trump tried to hint Barron was affected by it. Did they show it to him or did he find it on his own? If he found it on his own, I'm sure he would have easily found the grab em by the p**** stuff. What was his take on that?

Personally, while I think the entire thing was wrong, I think Trump is using his kid for sympathy. That is also disgusting. Maybe not as much, but disgusting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)
Welcome to 21st century politics. The same people who used to preach about respect for the office are now fire-breathing free speachers protecting artistic expression, while the people who used to be fire-breathing free speachers protecting artistic expression are now preaching about respect for the office.

Bush spends way too much time at his ranch in Texas!

Is Obama golfing again?

/thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2017 -> 06:43 PM)
So Trump tried to hint Barron was affected by it. Did they show it to him or did he find it on his own? If he found it on his own, I'm sure he would have easily found the grab em by the p**** stuff. What was his take on that?

Personally, while I think the entire thing was wrong, I think Trump is using his kid for sympathy. That is also disgusting. Maybe not as much, but disgusting.

Not a bad take. It's pretty obvious Trump's kid hadn't seen it yet until Donny showed him the pic. Nobody's going to talk about that at school, if school is still in session. I doubt the kid at 10 surfs all the news websites like tmz.com and Twitter. Your take is reasonable. Nobody ever said Trump wasn't disgusting himself. He is a creep no doubt. And assuredly he lied about this. Somebody should call him on it and figure out if Trump's kid did see it, how did he see it? Trump probably showed him the pic.

QUOTE (Tony @ May 31, 2017 -> 06:46 PM)
Your exact words: "OK fine but I can't believe many people on here aren't horrified by Griffin."

This isn't about having a discussion. We are already doing that. You made the statement that you are surprised more people aren't "horrified" by her.

So I ask again. What more do you want from people?

Read some of the initial posts from people on here. The best you could get out of them was a "yeah, but...." response. Yeah I was surprised more people weren't horrified by Griffin and her actions.

But I defend her right to do this. She didn't break any laws and free speech is the best. In some countries she'd be murdered by now for what she did. Here you have the right to do it and I applaud that right 100 percent. However I did expect more condemnation on here from the Trump haters because Griffin's actions were pretty horrific. UNLESS I'm missing the Warhol-excellence of her artisticic display. Maybe this will be remembered as one of the great expressions of art of all time, like Warhol's Campbell soup display. If I'm missing something excellent, shame on me.

Though I was never a big fan of Kathy Griffin, I did think she was moderately funny on New Year's Rockin Eve show with Anderson Cooper.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2017 -> 06:53 PM)
CNN canned her from their fake New Year's Eve broadcast.

Good. The network called the photos "disgusting and offensive." Having her in Times Square with millions of people would have been a very bad idea. The chances of violence would be pretty huge.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 31, 2017 -> 12:56 PM)
Good. The network called the photos "disgusting and offensive." Having her in Times Square with millions of people would have been a very bad idea. The chances of violence would be pretty huge.

You listen to Rush. Nothing should horrify you

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 31, 2017 -> 07:01 PM)
You listen to Rush. Nothing should horrify you

I listen to Rush sometimes when I'm in the car at lunch hour. I get a kick out of a.) how he'll talk 'maybe' 2-3 minutes and then they immediately 'have to go' to a commercial and wonder how the hell people can listen to a whole program with so many commercials. b.) i am amazed by those those commercials in which that the host reads a testimonial statement in which he endorses the quack product and pretends sometimes he uses the product. That's all you need to know about the host. That he's endorsing some company that will get the IRS off your back or some such ripoff product. Sure. Anything for a buck. Even my idol, Howard Stern, reads these bulls*** ads. If no commercial is on when I click on Rush's show and I'm in the car driving to lunch, yeah I'm a fan of his takes.

BTW: TMZ reports: "Trump family sources tell us Barron was in front of the TV watching a show when the news came on and he saw the bloody, beheaded image. We're told he panicked and screamed, "Mommy, Mommy!"

As it was put to us, "He's 11. He doesn't know who Kathy Griffin is and the head she was holding resembled his dad."

Melania called out Kathy, saying what she did was disturbing, wrong and "makes you wonder about [her] mental health."

President Trump also blasted Griffin for posing with the head, saying, Barron was having a hard time dealing with it."

Hmmm ... fishy. He was watching a TV show then the news mysteriously came on with the Griffin story?? I doubt that. First of all, what TV show is going to show the bloody picture?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 31, 2017 -> 02:09 PM)
I listen to Rush sometimes when I'm in the car at lunch hour. I get a kick out of a.) how he'll talk 'maybe' 2-3 minutes and then they immediately 'have to go' to a commercial and wonder how the hell people can listen to a whole program with so many commercials. b.) i am amazed by those those commercials in which that the host reads a testimonial statement in which he endorses the quack product and pretends sometimes he uses the product. That's all you need to know about the host. That he's endorsing some company that will get the IRS off your back or some such ripoff product. Sure. Anything for a buck. Even my idol, Howard Stern, reads these bulls*** ads. If no commercial is on when I click on Rush's show and I'm in the car driving to lunch, yeah I'm a fan of his takes.

BTW: TMZ reports: "Trump family sources tell us Barron was in front of the TV watching a show when the news came on and he saw the bloody, beheaded image. We're told he panicked and screamed, "Mommy, Mommy!"

As it was put to us, "He's 11. He doesn't know who Kathy Griffin is and the head she was holding resembled his dad."

Melania called out Kathy, saying what she did was disturbing, wrong and "makes you wonder about [her] mental health."

President Trump also blasted Griffin for posing with the head, saying, Barron was having a hard time dealing with it."

Hmmm ... fishy. He was watching a TV show then the news mysteriously came on with the Griffin story?? I doubt that. First of all, what TV show is going to show the bloody picture?

You see Greg, Trump lied.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 31, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
As you may recall I wrote some stuff on here about how we have to add having our heads chopped off to the list of things we need to worry about every day walking the streets or going to the movies. At any moment somebody might come out of nowhere and chop our heads off.

Where did this fear come from? I haven't heard of any random beheadings happening anywhere in the country.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 31, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)
a.) how he'll talk 'maybe' 2-3 minutes and then they immediately 'have to go' to a commercial and wonder how the hell people can listen to a whole program with so many commercials. b.) i am amazed by those those commercials in which that the host reads a testimonial statement in which he endorses the quack product and pretends sometimes he uses the product.

You just described every sports talk radio show in Chicago.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 31, 2017 -> 07:17 PM)
Where did this fear come from? I haven't heard of any random beheadings happening anywhere in the country.

You just described every sports talk radio show in Chicago.

a.) When we had all the beheadings on video overseas and there was talk ISIS would do it to us here.

b.) Sports talk radio shows here go 10-15 minutes at a time before commercials hit. If you listen to Limbaugh, the most you'll hear is maybe 3 minutes of him yapping then he urgently says he needs to go to a commercial break. And reading those ads for those quack products/services lets me know the host is a flat-out moneymaking liar. Some of these commercials are for things as ridiculous as buying land in the middle of the desert.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 31, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)

Even TMZ doesn't believe their story. IMO if that story was true, Trump should be more offended at Barron for thinking that thing was him than at Griffin for her tasteless act.

I am all for keeping the kid out of it. Trump and his advisors should do the same. What's next, Barron was watching Bill Maher and he said mean things about his dad. The show should be cancelled for the kid's sake.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 31, 2017 -> 11:20 AM)
And reading those ads for those quack products/services lets me know the host is a flat-out moneymaking liar.

Why continue to listen? Pop on a podcast or something instead.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ May 31, 2017 -> 01:11 AM)
Just imagine the uproar if a conservative would have done this with Obama's head. I saw a tweet that is true for this as well. If Kathy Griffiin wants to shock people she should try to actually be funny.

:lol:

Beat me to it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 31, 2017 -> 07:30 PM)
Why continue to listen? Pop on a podcast or something instead.

I'm driving to lunch for gosh sakes. It's not like I'm planning my day listening to Rush-bo like some of his legions. Usually I do put on Classic Vinyl on sirius. Or I'll pop between 610 radio and 810 radio sports talk then hit 980 and see if Rush is in a commercial break or not. Sometimes I get Rush for the three minutes before he hits his commercial break. If he's ranting and raving about something the anti Trumpers did, I'll pick it up during that short period of time.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 31, 2017 -> 12:24 AM)
So Kathy Griffin the comic thought it was wise/funny to hold a severed bloodied head (fake of course) of Trump in a photo shoot that was all over TMZ and other outlets. The head was pretty grotesque as in the video portion of the shoot, the head is dripping fake blood, etc., pretty gross and the immediate response of anybody with a brain is it's very unappealing to the eye. Some might even conjure images of ISIS beheading people.

If you can even call her that.

I am surprised my Warhol comparison hasn't sparked more comment. In the final analysis, her only way of surviving this in terms of her career was to not apologize and to discuss the artistic side of what she did.

By apologizing, etc., she was admitting in a sick way that she condoned the horrible image of the severed head of Trump. By going the 'art' route, it would have been very interesting to see how this played out. Now she's 100 percent the villain and fired from all her gigs. I mean art is art. And she could have played the art card harder.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 31, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)
I'm driving to lunch for gosh sakes. It's not like I'm planning my day listening to Rush-bo like some of his legions. Usually I do put on Classic Vinyl on sirius. Or I'll pop between 610 radio and 810 radio sports talk then hit 980 and see if Rush is in a commercial break or not. Sometimes I get Rush for the three minutes before he hits his commercial break. If he's ranting and raving about something the anti Trumpers did, I'll pick it up during that short period of time.

So you don't like the host but continue to listen to the show. Wow, it's exactly like sports talk radio. :lol:

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 31, 2017 -> 07:46 PM)
So you don't like the host but continue to listen to the show. Wow, it's exactly like sports talk radio. :lol:

No way in hell I believe he truly endorses those products through personal experience like he reads. That tells me he is only out for $$$$. However I do like his takes and rants on the anti-Republicans and the other things he rants about. I think it's entertaining s***.