5/31 Games

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ May 31, 2017 -> 06:53 PM)
I don't know how to respond to this. I guess I have higher aspirations.

We all do but he's a work in progress. If he's still a "mess" come August I'll be much more concerned. He's got a long way to go but he's seemingly making progress.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ May 31, 2017 -> 06:53 PM)
I don't know how to respond to this. I guess I have higher aspirations.

I get the dissapointment, but given how big of a mess Giolito has been this season you got to look for little victories. Again, I can't tell if those 7 hits were hit hard, but if they weren't this start at least represents some progress.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 31, 2017 -> 07:36 PM)
Is there is a starting pitching prospect in the minors with a higher ceiling?

Absolutely not. Not guaranteeing he's going to be a stud or anything but he's got the highest ceiling of any minor league pitcher by a long shot imo.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 31, 2017 -> 08:18 PM)
The boxscore has Giolito down for 8 hits over 4, not 7, fwiw.

Lucas Giolito 4.0 8 2 2 0 3 0 5.36

Kopech with 3 walks and 8 strikeouts, almost through 5.

3 hits, 1 UER, but 80 pitches (high count once again)

High strikeout pitchers are prone to high pitch counts. Just the way it goes.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 31, 2017 -> 08:25 PM)

Especially ones that still have some control issues. Once he hopefully reduces the walks a bit the pitch count should reduce a bit as well.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 31, 2017 -> 07:25 PM)

Yes, I know. Sale tried the "pitch to contact" thing last year to go longer into games (compared to his 2015 version) and it really didn't work well for him. You can't ask competitive pitchers like that to let up on the gas and not "go for the kill." They enjoy dominating, and projecting that swagger that goes with being a high octane strikeout guy. Of course, that's also leading to lots of arm injuries.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 31, 2017 -> 08:28 PM)
Yes, I know. Sale tried the "pitch to contact" thing last year to go longer into games (compared to his 2015 version) and it really didn't work well for him. You can't ask competitive pitchers like that to let up on the gas and not "go for the kill." They enjoy dominating, and projecting that swagger that goes with being a high octane strikeout guy. Of course, that's also leading to lots of arm injuries.

Competitive pitchers and strikeout pitchers are not synonymous. Although your point about sale is correct. He isn't comfortable pitching that way right now.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 31, 2017 -> 07:35 PM)
Do we think Kopech will spend the entire season at Birmingham or end up in Charlotte at some point this year?

He'll be up at some point...at the very least, for whichever team (won't be BIRM) makes the playoffs...unless they think his overall innings are too high and want to shut him down at the end of August. Doubt they'd bring him up to Chicago, unless the White Sox were in first place despite trying not to be, but the likelihood of that happening is about 1%.

At any rate, there will eventually be some openings in that Knights' rotation, but I have a sense they'll push guys like Guerrero/Cooper/Adams (just to see how they fare)...no hurry to move Kopech to Charlotte.

OTOH, if the White Sox internally believe they have an opportunity to compete in 2019, we'll see him at some point in 2018 in order to help him get his feet wet and start learning at the big league level. With someone who throws that hard, you almost worry about "wasting" those innings in the minors, but it's a chance they're PROBABLY going to be willing to take for the good of contract/economic control.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 31, 2017 -> 08:35 PM)
Do we think Kopech will spend the entire season at Birmingham or end up in Charlotte at some point this year?

He's probably only has about 70 more innings or so. They may just leave him there to finish up.

Kopech continues to live up to his advanced billing.

Trade is working for both teams. I guess Basabe's a bit disappointing, but we were never going to get two headliners and a third in Devers/Benintendi if Hahn waited on DD for 100 years.

Edited by caulfield12