5/31 Games

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 31, 2017 -> 08:43 PM)
Pelfrey is pitching his way into having a Top 150-200 prospect, lol?

That would be amusing if Holland, Shields, Pelfrey and MiGo (Robertson/Swarzak/Jones, etc.) brought enough pieces back to at least halfway offset not being able to trade Quintana.

If Kahnle is still rocking a 50% K% in July I think the Sox will do very well if they decide to deal him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 31, 2017 -> 08:41 PM)
He'll be up at some point...at the very least, for whichever team (won't be BIRM) makes the playoffs...unless they think his overall innings are too high and want to shut him down at the end of August. Doubt they'd bring him up to Chicago, unless the White Sox were in first place despite trying not to be, but the likelihood of that happening is about 1%.

At any rate, there will eventually be some openings in that Knights' rotation, but I have a sense they'll push guys like Guerrero/Cooper/Adams (just to see how they fare)...no hurry to move Kopech to Charlotte.

OTOH, if the White Sox internally believe they have an opportunity to compete in 2019, we'll see him at some point in 2018 in order to help him get his feet wet and start learning at the big league level. With someone who throws that hard, you almost worry about "wasting" those innings in the minors, but it's a chance they're PROBABLY going to be willing to take for the good of contract/economic control.

Kopech had something like 35 minor league starts coming into this season. He should stay at AA for most of the season. His number one developmental goal should be to build up innings. That's going to be a two year process and I don't see a huge reason to rush him to AAA at this point.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 31, 2017 -> 08:43 PM)
Kopech continues to live up to his advanced billing.

Trade is working for both teams. I guess Basabe's a bit disappointing, but we were never going to get two headliners and a third in Devers/Benintendi if Hahn waited on DD for 100 years.

Basabe is super young for his league and made huge progress in the 2nd half of last year. I'm not overly concerned at this point. And honestly, when you get arguably the highest ceiling positional & pitching prospects in all of the minors as headliners, I'm ok with a toolsy OF and an interesting relief prospect as the secondary pieces.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 31, 2017 -> 07:48 PM)
If Kahnle is still rocking a 50% K% in July I think the Sox will do very well if they decide to deal him.

2017 Contract Status: Pre-Arb Eligible

Service Time (01/2017): 2.015 • Arb Eligible: 2018 • Free Agent: 2021

Or deal Nate Jones first, because of his contract being relatively more expensive, and his propensity to get injured.

It's a very tough call...if the White Sox believe all of his changes are going to take, holding onto him to create a "superpen" along with Burdi and Lopez/Giolito/Fulmer (at least one of them won't make it as a starter) makes a lot of sense if you look at that Royals/Indians model of bullpen management where the goal of every starter is to get the ball to the pen after the 6th.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 31, 2017 -> 07:56 PM)
Basabe is super young for his league and made huge progress in the 2nd half of last year. I'm not overly concerned at this point. And honestly, when you get arguably the highest ceiling positional & pitching prospects in all of the minors as headliners, I'm ok with a toolsy OF and an interesting relief prospect as the secondary pieces.

Actually, I would argue 3 of the Top 5, if you include Luis Robert.

Would put Gleyber Torres in there as well, and not including Bellinger since he's quickly losing rookie status.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ May 31, 2017 -> 06:00 PM)
This guy is a mess.

He just faced the same team he no hit his last start. You expected him to no hit them again or for that team to not have a better game plan against him?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 01:28 AM)
He just faced the same team he no hit his last start. You expected him to no hit them again or for that team to not have a better game plan against him?

I'd settle for something between no hits and 8 hits in 4 innings.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 07:34 AM)
I'd settle for something between no hits and 8 hits in 4 innings.

That may have simply been some bad luck. He didn't give up any HRs (he has given up a lot prior to his no-hitter), which may be a sign most of them weren't hard hit balls.

From what I've seen, fastball command has been his issue, so seeing no walks and 2/3 of his pitches being thrown for strikes is a plus for me. He's got to learn to trust/repeat his mechanics first before I worry about anything else. And in that sense, controlling the strike zone and not giving up gopher balls when he falls behind is a promising start.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 08:08 AM)
That may have simply been some bad luck. He didn't give up any HRs (he has given up a lot prior to his no-hitter), which may be a sign most of them weren't hard hit balls.

From what I've seen, fastball command has been his issue, so seeing no walks and 2/3 of his pitches being thrown for strikes is a plus for me. He's got to learn to trust/repeat his mechanics first before I worry about anything else. And in that sense, controlling the strike zone and not giving up gopher balls when he falls behind is a promising start.

This. For some guys you can look at the micro and it holds value. For a guy in Giolito's situation where he is getting rebuilt from the ground up, and having confidence problems, the gory details aren't as important as the big picture. Control is issue #1.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)
This. For some guys you can look at the micro and it holds value. For a guy in Giolito's situation where he is getting rebuilt from the ground up, and having confidence problems, the gory details aren't as important as the big picture. Control is issue #1.

Yea I just want to see him consistently throwing strikes in AAA by the end of the year. If they hit it fine, just show improvement with command and control this year while the Sox work through his new mechanics.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 03:56 PM)
so you guys think this is what Rick Hahn thought he was getting? A guy that needed a total rebuild?

I think they took the best deal they had on the table. But to answer your question I think so. Usually the Sox don't make any pitcher acquisitions without heavy input from Cooper. Given how things have gone I'm fairly certain Cooper knew he'd need a lot of work on his mechanics because that's pretty much what they have said and worked on with him since February.