Fool Me Once: Deceptive seasons from OK prospects

NorthSideSox72

Yes, that was all accurate.

I forgot how good some of them were in AAA, I really thought all would be contributors. Had no idea what kind of stuff or talent they possessed.

Wish we went back to the Ruddy Yan year, I thought we had ricky henderson in single A.

Good article. Brings back some memories.

I never thought Brian Anderson got a fair shake of ML development, and I seem to recall that Ozzie Guillen had some personal problem with him that led to him not really giving him a chance during the 2007 season. Is that accurate?

Was it really fair to evaluate a very good defensive CF on the merits of basically his 2006 season where he hit .225 but otherwise had relatively decent power? 23 doubles in 405 PAs seems pretty ok to me, as does 8 HR. Look at Avi's 2015 numbers for example.

I wish Brian had gotten one more full season, especially during the 2nd half of 07 which was totally meaningless

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 03:44 PM)
Good article. Brings back some memories.

I never thought Brian Anderson got a fair shake of ML development, and I seem to recall that Ozzie Guillen had some personal problem with him that led to him not really giving him a chance during the 2007 season. Is that accurate?

Was it really fair to evaluate a very good defensive CF on the merits of basically his 2006 season where he hit .225 but otherwise had relatively decent power? 23 doubles in 405 PAs seems pretty ok to me, as does 8 HR. Look at Avi's 2015 numbers for example.

I wish Brian had gotten one more full season, especially during the 2nd half of 07 which was totally meaningless

Yes. Ozzie didn't think he really was focused on becoming a better baseball player. After the fact, anderson admitted Ozzie was right. He was too busy chasing the "honeys" and enjoying the MLB lifestyle.

Who was the relief pitcher we had during that period that was just about unhittable for several seasons but never a prospect? I think it was remenowsky? Thought he was the next Keith foulke, got exposed as soon as he hit triple A. He was so damn good in the lower levels it never made sense to me why he wasn't a prospect and also how he could dominate all other levels until AAA.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jun 3, 2017 -> 01:04 AM)
Who was the relief pitcher we had during that period that was just about unhittable for several seasons but never a prospect? I think it was remenowsky? Thought he was the next Keith foulke, got exposed as soon as he hit triple A. He was so damn good in the lower levels it never made sense to me why he wasn't a prospect and also how he could dominate all other levels until AAA.

Dan Remenowsky. I wrote a long treatise on him a while back, and how he was an important lesson for me in prospect analysis.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 09:19 PM)
Yes. Ozzie didn't think he really was focused on becoming a better baseball player. After the fact, anderson admitted Ozzie was right. He was too busy chasing the "honeys" and enjoying the MLB lifestyle.

IIRC, Anderson was a big fan of the night life in Chicago. He would routinely stay out until the sun came up... not a good idea when you're a rookie struggling to stay above the Mendoza Line.