Season Preview: DSL White Sox

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 7, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
Is Anthony Coronado worth following? He's had a bit of a hot start and looks like he's 17 out of Venezuela for 150k.

I would read next to nothing from 3 games in the DSL. But, he's 17 years old and got a six figure bonus, so certainly he could be a guy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2017 -> 09:26 AM)
I would read next to nothing from 3 games in the DSL. But, he's 17 years old and got a six figure bonus, so certainly he could be a guy.

I know Maitan, etc, but do you think the Venezuela signings get deflated with less competition of scouts to see these guys?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 7, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
Is Anthony Coronado worth following? He's had a bit of a hot start and looks like he's 17 out of Venezuela for 150k.

Because of the chaos in Venezuela I keep reading how the kids there are underscouted (people are quite literally scared to scout there) and underpaid because of it. Most of the scouting happens for the kids who can get out of VZ and get into the DR to be seen with the rest of the class. It doesn't mean anything for this kid specifically, but don't be surprised if we see some supercheap signings out of VZ that turn out to be way over their signing bonus in terms of production because of the lack of competition for some of them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2017 -> 09:50 AM)
Because of the chaos in Venezuela I keep reading how the kids there are underscouted (people are quite literally scared to scout there) and underpaid because of it. Most of the scouting happens for the kids who can get out of VZ and get into the DR to be seen with the rest of the class. It doesn't mean anything for this kid specifically, but don't be surprised if we see some supercheap signings out of VZ that turn out to be way over their signing bonus in terms of production because of the lack of competition for some of them.

Could be true, though I'll be honest and say I really just don't know.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2017 -> 10:10 AM)
Could be true, though I'll be honest and say I really just don't know.

This is a good one from a while back from Balder.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...mlcHHi1yVTAv.97

Also

http://www.vocativ.com/312559/the-dangerou...uelan-baseball/

https://www.lavidabaseball.com/venezuelan-b...ng-up-in-smoke/

Nelson Acosta is the most well regarded pitcher on the Sox DSL team. Here's a tweet from raBBIt on him from last year.

Brian Bilek‏

@BrianBilek_

Nelson Acosta went 6 innings with 10Ks and four hits for the #WhiteSox Dominican Summer League team. After today: 37/1 K/BB in 33 innings.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 7, 2017 -> 11:59 AM)
Nelson Acosta is the most well regarded pitcher on the Sox DSL team. Here's a tweet from raBBIt on him from last year.

Brian Bilek‏

@BrianBilek_

Nelson Acosta went 6 innings with 10Ks and four hits for the #WhiteSox Dominican Summer League team. After today: 37/1 K/BB in 33 innings.

He's been statistically dominant, but I don't get the impression the scouting reports match that. He's now in his 4th year in the DSL, not usually a good sign. But... he also hasn't pitched yet, and is the only pitcher on the roster with no uniform number assigned, which makes me think he may not actually be there (and therefore would be in AZL or something to open 2017). We'll know for sure in a few days when they've gone full rotation.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 7, 2017 -> 04:59 PM)

Brian Bilek‏

@BrianBilek_

Hector Acosta has pitched thus far, not Nelson Acosta

Edited by MnSoxFan

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2017 -> 10:50 AM)

That's why they need to have Ozzie Guillen doing the scouting and promotion down there.