DRAFT TRACKER 2017, and Day One Discussion

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 01:43 PM)
If I read it correctly, either Piliere or Law said he's a better hitter than Senzel, Swanson and Bregman out of college

Yea, I haven't seen that direct quote but I've read in multiple places that he's the best college bat of the class... not sure that I agree but at #11 it's a solid pick up, injury concerns be damned. We need him in 2019 or 2020 - not 2018.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 03:47 PM)
Why would that matter?

I do find it kind of interesting as I was kind of amazed how much time Blake Hickman lost to his TJS. Because he had it in late june/early july he basically lost 2 years

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 08:48 PM)
I do find it kind of interesting as I was kind of amazed how much time Blake Hickman lost to his TJS. Because he had it in late june/early july he basically lost 2 years

And who knows about using the new method that some have had done that was a super fast return

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 01:46 PM)
Sox haven't been all that present on Hiura's games. Not sure it means much, but they weren't a team with a clear presence around him like say the A's or the Red Sox.

Do you have any insights into where they Sox were present, outside of the commonly reported names? I've seen reports of them actively on Haseley, Smith, Kendall, Adell, and Beck.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 01:51 PM)
Not sure everyone believes that. Might be wishful thinking by him

So today he is 20, will turn 21 in August.

Even if you assume he loses a full year, seems like it isn't something that should hold you back if you truly believe in him as a hitter.

Look at Jeff Hoffman at this point. Think there are some teams that wished they would have taken him earlier?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 02:55 PM)
He's such a snarky bastard.

Stone mentioned yesterday that Robert, by consensus of the industry, would be a top 3 pick.

Not from the consensus KLaw's sources.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 08:54 PM)
So today he is 20, will turn 21 in August.

Even if you assume he loses a full year, seems like it isn't something that should hold you back if you truly believe in him as a hitter.

Look at Jeff Hoffman at this point. Think there are some teams that wished they would have taken him earlier?

Agreed completely

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 03:44 PM)
Question....if you draft Hiura now, any chance he's healthy by May of next year if he gets TJS right away?

If he gets the surgery right way, he'd probably be ready for some of winter ball.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 03:53 PM)
Don't take it to the bank but I think the Sox want one of the UVA guys/Beck and Bukasukas is in play as well.

Have to think the Sox are looking at:

Haseley, Beck, Bukauskas...but none of them might be on the board for us.

Bukauskas I'm not a big fan of, as I think he ends up being a reliever due to his small size and high effort delivery

Smith doesn't excite me as a 1B/DH only prospect

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 09:59 PM)
Have to think the Sox are looking at:

Haseley, Beck, Bukauskas...but none of them might be on the board for us.

Bukauskas I'm not a big fan of, as I think he ends up being a reliever due to his small size and high effort delivery

Smith doesn't excite me as a 1B/DH only prospect

Just remember, every meaningless regular season win counts :)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 04:58 PM)

Just looking at that K% in college is scary and the rather mediocre production. If he can't ever hit above 230 in MLB he's a 1 WAR player no matter how good his other tools, imo of course. Hardly an expert but I did do some research on him and obviously have read what our guys here think. Seems like a late round 1st flyer, not a top half of the 1st guy.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
Just remember, every meaningless regular season win counts :)

Just remember, being excited that the white sox won has no bearing about whether they win or lose on the field.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 10:01 PM)
Just remember, being excited that the white sox won has no bearing about whether they win or lose on the field.

Never said it did, it just frustrates me when some people don't get the philosophy behind tanking

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 02:01 PM)

We cannot all read this enough times.

In fact, I think we should all repeat this in unison, once a day.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 01:53 PM)
Don't take it to the bank but I think the Sox want one of the UVA guys/Beck and Bukasukas is in play as well.

I really hope Bukasukas is gone by 11 but doubt it. Think that Beck and Haseley are pipe dreams at 11 and Smith may also be a tall order that would be great where we're at. If it's down to Bukasukas and someone like White - I hope they go positional.

This change reflects the way front offices’ draft strategies have shifted over time, particularly in the post-“Moneyball” era. As other teams followed Beane’s lead and made selections guided by research about past drafts, the number of picks devoted to college players at all positions rose compared to previous batch of drafts. But that, in turn, caused college prospects to become overvalued, and, starting in the ’90s, they began delivering fewer returns than before. Although college hitters still appear to be far better bargains than high school ones, college pitchers have gone from being the draft’s best-kept secret to being a terrible investment. At the same time, their once-maligned high school counterparts have become more valuable.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/moneyb...=espn:frontpage

Moneyball draft advice has lost its usefulness

Another interesting tidbit

When I attended the SABR Analytics Conference in 2016, one of the more interesting presentations was delivered by Robert Brustad, a professor at Northern Colorado University's School of Sport and Exercise Science. The basic synopsis: Brustad studied the ages of high school kids selected in the first 20 rounds from 2005 to 2012 and found older high school players eventually underachieved based on their draft position while younger high schoolers overachieved. (Brustad's study produced similar results to one by Rany Jazeryli that reviewed drafts from 1965 to 1995.) This is a good sign for Greene, who doesn't turn 18 until August, but a bad one for Law's No. 18 prospect, LHP Trevor Rogers, who turns 20 in November.

Some "young" players, all not yet 18 when drafted included Mike Trout, Madison Bumgarner, Anthony Rizzo, Correa, Francisco Lindor, Freddie Freeman and Chris Archer. Other young high schoolers who will be 17 on draft day include Puerto Rican OF Heliot Ramos (No. 21 on Law's board), RHP Shane Baz (No. 45 on Law's board), and OF Quentin Holmes (No. 33 on MLB.com's board).

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/...n-mlb-draft-day

Edited by caulfield12