White Sox pick 3B Jake Burger at #11

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 07:51 PM)
Both Hostetler and KW comp him to Gary Gaetti. If he is a match, it was a real good pick.

He'll need to stick at 3rd to have that sort of impact because other than early on his career Gary was mediocre with the bat.

I don't see the comp personally. I see some Kevin Youkilus with more power less average. Defense will always be a concern.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 07:18 AM)
Coincidentally, Gaetti was selected at #11 as well

He had a few really good years. 360 career homers. Had some horrid ones as well. Was a leader-type player on a team that had several. When he signed with the Angels, back when $3 million a year was big money, he was awful. He seemed to lose a bit of intensity. He got released eventually, signed with the Royals and was pretty good there a couple of years.

Burger plays hard. I'm really not too worried about the body, I think the Sox can fix that. If his bat works, it's a good pick. Another reason is he isn't a strike out machine. The Sox have little luck with those guys. If somehow Kendall overcomes the odds and becomes a star, many will say it was a mistake to pass him up. But, the White Sox seem to recognize a weakness. They haven't been able to develop this type of guy. Kendall may become a star, it doesn't mean he would have done the same had the White Sox drafted him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 02:52 AM)
On MLB Network someone said Jedd Gyorko as a comp and Longenhagen said that was a fascinating comp for Burger.

Gyorko is a very solid player, I would not be disappointed if Burger turned out like him at all. He's not necessarily a "star", but he's very solid. We need more players like that.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 11:48 AM)
Gyorko is a very solid player, I would not be disappointed if Burger turned out like him at all. He's not necessarily a "star", but he's very solid. We need more players like that.

You really can't be disappointed in any draft pick making a contribution to an MLB roster. You're elated when they become a star but just making a solid contribution is a win.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:01 PM)
You really can't be disappointed in any draft pick making a contribution to an MLB roster. You're elated when they become a star but just making a solid contribution is a win.

100% this. Yes you want stars, but getting a contributing major leaguer at #11 is a franchise win.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:50 PM)
100% this. Yes you want stars, but getting a contributing major leaguer at #11 is a franchise win.

Hell I'm even happy if they were used to trade for major leaguers and never made it themselves.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 06:04 AM)

Hostetler likes his chances at 3B. If this organization has truly improved with prospects getting better defensively (Collins looks great this year) then I like the kid's chances of staying there. I love Burger as a hitter. If he stays at 3B (which he probably will) he's a very, very good prospect. And with the Sheets selection, the Sox feel that way about his future there too.

I think that if we're being truly fair, it's not true to say he'll "probably" stay at third. I think we can say there's a "real chance" he stays at third.

I'm late to this thread, but my thought on Burger is, while I don't like the pick, I can't really be upset with it considering what the Sox had to choose from. I would've preferred Evan White, but it's not as stark a disappointment as last year (when they passed on Rutherford and Lewis for Collins, a pick I hated at the time). In this case, things just didn't go their way in the top 10. Oh well.

One troubling thing though: I am worried about the Sox lack of regard for defense. It is possible to have an infield of Burger, Anderson, Moncada, Sheets and Collins in a couple of years. Some of those guys could be average-ish, but overall that's not very good.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)
One troubling thing though: I am worried about the Sox lack of regard for defense. It is possible to have an infield of Burger, Anderson, Moncada, Sheets and Collins in a couple of years. Some of those guys could be average-ish, but overall that's not very good.

That's a good point. How many "but the Sox seem to believe he can stick at _______" can you have before the defensive unit becomes unplayable as a unit?

Lot's of excitement on the board. I would caution the realistic part of the fan to take a step back and evaluate these picks ...

Fulmer was our next ace when we drafted him a few years ago. The likelihood is that he'll be a 4-5 starter for a few years before transitioning into a bullpen piece.

Burger sounds good on the surface as do a lot of these picks but things fall apart.

The Sox best case scenario is to be a team like the Cardinals and I Think that's a possibility. I like that we're drafting baseball players, not just athleticism. If you look at sustained success you need to hit on 2-3 superstars and then supplement them with good baseball players. We'll have Moncada (hopefully) as our secured superstar. Abreu is solid for a DH for the next 3-4 years. No we fill in.

The important picks won't be rounds 1-3 they will be rounds 7-20. That's where you find organizational depth that gets you through injuries and pushes everybody in the system to be better.

Realistically out of Call, Fisher, Basabe, Sheets, Burger, etc. etc. only one or two will be regulars in the lineup. Others will be utility players and others will have a cup of coffee in the league.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 01:13 PM)
Lot's of excitement on the board. I would caution the realistic part of the fan to take a step back and evaluate these picks ...

Fulmer was our next ace when we drafted him a few years ago. The likelihood is that he'll be a 4-5 starter for a few years before transitioning into a bullpen piece.

Burger sounds good on the surface as do a lot of these picks but things fall apart.

The Sox best case scenario is to be a team like the Cardinals and I Think that's a possibility. I like that we're drafting baseball players, not just athleticism. If you look at sustained success you need to hit on 2-3 superstars and then supplement them with good baseball players. We'll have Moncada (hopefully) as our secured superstar. Abreu is solid for a DH for the next 3-4 years. No we fill in.

The important picks won't be rounds 1-3 they will be rounds 7-20. That's where you find organizational depth that gets you through injuries and pushes everybody in the system to be better.

Realistically out of Call, Fisher, Basabe, Sheets, Burger, etc. etc. only one or two will be regulars in the lineup. Others will be utility players and others will have a cup of coffee in the league.

Look at the positions where we COULD be significantly above average...right now, that's Collins and the next TCU superstar like Matt Carpenter at catcher, Moncada, Robert and possibly Burger. Tim Anderson will struggle with his OPS numbers forever until he starts walking more. Obviously his defense has disappointed this year, but can easily rebound.

Adding Abreu and Avi Garcia, depending on your views on those two, 5-6 players is a lot better than 1-2. And Anderson has all the tools and athleticism in the world. DH/1B isn't so hard for the final piece/s. Davidson is making some believers now.

After that, Adolfo is the best bet. Which is why we need more trades, two more high draft picks and to deal some of that excess starting pitching depth as well at peak value...maybe a Japanese or Korean (without Kang's off the field issues.)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)

I think it's way too early to jump to conclusions on Anderson & Moncada. Both have the tools to be above average and Anderson actually looked the part in 2016. And isn't Sheets supposed to be pretty good defensively? Maybe I'm wrong there. Regardless, I do agree with your general premise though and would add infield defense should be an even bigger priority if we plan on continuing to add ground ball pitchers. There's a synergy we'd be potentially forgoing by adding bat first players in the infield.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 02:13 PM)
That's a good point. How many "but the Sox seem to believe he can stick at _______" can you have before the defensive unit becomes unplayable as a unit?

I sort of think they are going to be counting on a lot of defensive contributions from SS, 2B, and CF, and then kind of filling in as they go. If they end up with too many guys who are mediocre to poor defenders but can hit the ball, you can trade those guys. Frankly, guys with big hit tools that actually transfer to the game have way more value than a guy who is a phenomenal defender but can't hit a lick. Cleuluis Rondon was/is reportedly a defensive wizard at SS, but do you think the Sox can actually get value for that? Of course not. But a guy who hits .300/.380/.450 in the minors? He has to be absolutely Lastings Milledge clueless in the field to not have trade value.

I don't mind this philosophy at all in the short term. Get guys to the majors, give them a shot. A more balanced approach moving forward would be better.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 12:04 AM)
Might be posted somewhere else, but Bleacher Report listed the Sox as losers of the draft. They didn't like the Burger pick, and in general thought the Sox were in a position to be bold, but instead played it safe.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2715517...gramming-league

I disagree the sox don't have to wish cast on this draft or the next two by being bold. They need solid everyday players. Moncada, Giolito, Kopech and Robert have elite upside, they'll need players to fill in around the diamond. We've seen what Stars & Scrubs looks like; lets see what every day players, depth and 1-3 super stars looks like, I have a creeping suspicion it'll look alot better than our last decade.

Additionally even in a bubble I really like what the sox did with what was available in this draft. Burger was a tiny reach if you can call it that but the fact that Kendall slid 12 more spots before landing with the Dodgers should be pretty telling, yeah he is a tool shed but the sox finally came to terms with the fact that they might not be well positioned to develop those types of players and would be better off drafting highly polished position players that have high floors and medium ceilings.