Day Two Draft Discussion

southsider2k5

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:39 PM)
Abbott will sign. The Sox aren't going to draft someone in the 8th round who won't sign. Find the last time the Sox failed to sign a Top 10 pick.

Ian Gardeck and Ben O'Shea, 2011.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 09:39 PM)
Abbott will sign. The Sox aren't going to draft someone in the 8th round who won't sign. Find the last time the Sox failed to sign a Top 10 pick.

THIS

you don't think scouts within the organization have developed a relationship with this kid and his family? Do you really think the kid is shocked that he was picked? I can guarantee these discussions have been going on for many a week between the family and the organization. The White Sox know that he's willing to sign for a certain amount of money or they would NEVER have picked him in this spot. So unless he has a sudden change of heart, my guess is that contract will be signed in short order.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:41 PM)
I'm going the other way. I can't imagine a water polo player, signed to Long Beach State won't go there. His scholarship is worth more than the slot money. Unless the sox go way overslot, I don't think there's much of a chance.

If he was that low a chance of signing, they would have taken him in like the 25th round and rolled the dice. 8th round means they know he'll sign.

As...

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:43 PM)
Ian Gardeck and Ben O'Shea, 2011.

There ya go. Have to go back 6 years to find an example, and that was like 2 different draft systems ago. It just so rarely happens now.

It appears the average water polo scholarship is $5700 at Long Beach State. Maybe he got a full. But I agree, if he was a longshot to sign, drafting him where they did makes no sense, and they seem, even if it doesn't work out, to usually make sense with their decisions.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 10:55 PM)
9th round is for indiana. Wasn't jackson glines 9th round too?

Dedelow is a great name, doubt he gets out of AZ.

I think it was Buddy Bell who was singing Jackson Glines's praises. Another reason why I would want that man as far away from my organization as possible.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:55 PM)
There ya go. Have to go back 6 years to find an example, and that was like 2 different draft systems ago. It just so rarely happens now.

Not that I have the pertinent info with regards to how much the Sox were offering versus what they signed for, but considering Gardeck went from an 8th rounder to a 16th rounder with the Giants, and O'Shea went from a 10th rounder to a 35th rounder with St. Louis, probably safe to say those guys screwed themselves out of more money.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:31 PM)
I'm really digging this draft as well, assuming that we can sign all of these guys

Burger

Sheets

Gonzalez

Henzman

Johnson

McClure

Skoug

Abbott?

I think we got three interesting arms in Henzman, Johnson and McClure. McClure stands out as a player who could be a late bloomer given his huge size.

Burger, Sheets and Skoug certainly add a power element that did not really exist within the organization. Each also helps fill out our organizational depth.

They wouldn't be drafting them if they didn't expect to sign them all. You don't draft question marks in the first 10 rounds. Period.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:41 PM)
I'm going the other way. I can't imagine a water polo player, signed to Long Beach State won't go there. His scholarship is worth more than the slot money. Unless the sox go way overslot, I don't think there's much of a chance.

Typically for HS signings, teams pay their college tuition down the road.

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 05:02 PM)
I think it was Buddy Bell who was singing Jackson Glines's praises. Another reason why I would want that man as far away from my organization as possible.

Find me the first minor league director who will tell us a specific player is going to suck.