Which young Sox hitter/s are you most excited about?

caulfield12

Pick 3 (Discuss)  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Most intriguing hitting prospects

• Gavin Sheets (1B, corner OF)
    • Nicky Delmonico (3B/1B/DH)
    • Jameson Fisher (OF)
    • Basabe (CF)
    • Micker Adolfo (RF)
    • Luis Gonzalez (CF/P)
    • Alex Call (OF)
    • Skoug (C/1B/DH)
    • Abbott (1B, polo player)
    • Adam Engel (CF)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)
Just simpler...obviously over more at bats, it will matter more. SF, SH, HBP, etc. Basically, no matter how you slice it, Adolfo's still striking out 30% of the time.

It doesn't make any sense though. He could have struck out in those walks, but he didn't, he walked. No different than a hit.

He is striking out 28.6% of the time, which is high, but is not 30% of the time.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 11:25 AM)
It doesn't make any sense though. He could have struck out in those walks, but he didn't, he walked. No different than a hit.

He is striking out 28.6% of the time, which is high, but is not 30% of the time.

And more importantly that number is trending in the right direction.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)
Delmonico's hitting profile is completely different than Davidson's. Nicky has a K rate of 17% this year, while Matt's best season in Charlotte was last year at 26.4%. And this is despite similar power (in game) & BB rates. Delmonico is a much better hitter IMO and has a better chance of sticking in the majors assuming he can find a spot defensively (perhaps LF).

I liked what I saw from Delmonico in the spring that also influenced me a bit. Every time he came up it seemed he was either doubling or making a hard out, at least in the couple games I saw him. He's got a nice compact swing so while 30 HR potential is probably a stretch I can see him hitting for a much higher average than Davidson as well. Maybe something like a 280/340/480 line if he pans out. That would be a much better LF than Melky.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)
I agree with a lot of this and had the same experience in ST but that line is bit much. Outside of a 40 game stint in BHAM last year, Delmonico has never slugged like that. Even in a bandbox in Charlotte he hasn't slugged .460. There is a trend of players getting to the big leagues and showing more power though so it's not ridiculous by any means, but just a bit heavy for me.

What I like from Delmonico, other than his hack, is that he has slashed his K rate this year significantly. Outside of a low A ball, he's been 20+ K% at the least. He was 21% and 25% in AA and AAA last year. This year he is at 16.7%.

What I don't like from Delmonico is he is an absolute butcher at 3B. The Sox like his makeup so maybe they're giving him more time to figure it out but this guy is awful out there defensively and from what I've seen, a lost cause. He should've been tried in LF yesterday.

The other thing to consider with Delmonico: Home: .351/.438/.613 & Away: .198/.261/.328.

Right on. I'd take the 280/340 part of that line with any decent pop. So maybe 280/340/430. That would play as a decent starting LF assuming his defense can be averageish.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 04:13 PM)
Right on. I'd take the 280/340 part of that line with any decent pop. So maybe 280/340/430. That would play as a decent starting LF assuming his defense can be averageish.

If that's the case, you'd have to prefer guys like Leury Garcia due to positional versatility and athleticism.

Just depends on how hard Delmonico would have to work to become Melky Cabrera...who rates poorly but has the 3rd highest number of outfield assists of any current MLB player. Is he more Josh Fields or Alex Gordon?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 02:55 PM)
I agree with a lot of this and had the same experience in ST but that line is bit much. Outside of a 40 game stint in BHAM last year, Delmonico has never slugged like that. Even in a bandbox in Charlotte he hasn't slugged .460. There is a trend of players getting to the big leagues and showing more power though so it's not ridiculous by any means, but just a bit heavy for me.

What I like from Delmonico, other than his hack, is that he has slashed his K rate this year significantly. Outside of a low A ball, he's been 20+ K% at the least. He was 21% and 25% in AA and AAA last year. This year he is at 16.7%.

What I don't like from Delmonico is he is an absolute butcher at 3B. The Sox like his makeup so maybe they're giving him more time to figure it out but this guy is awful out there defensively and from what I've seen, a lost cause. He should've been tried in LF yesterday.

The other thing to consider with Delmonico: Home: .351/.438/.613 & Away: .198/.261/.328.

I noticed those home/road splits yesterday and they are insane. The problem I have is they're not just power related. IIRC, almost every KPI is significantly worse on the road than at home. Obviously I'm not a baseball expert, but I can't think why BB & K rates would be radically different home vs. away. Not sure if the difference is simply randomness or if maybe there is a hangover effect from playing home games at BB&T ballpark similar to Coors.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 06:13 PM)

In 6 years in the minors he is hitting .253. So for now, I call him a future .250 hitter not a .280 hitter. He is 24 so certainly there is room for improvement. But recently he is really struggling in Charlotte and his average is dropping fast. Add in his poor glove and I think he needs a lot more time in AAA.