O's and Sox "getaway day" game thread

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 07:40 PM)
I still think he should still be in the minors and never called up last year.

He was good last year though. Just big time regression this season that we've seen far too often from WSox hitters in their sophomore season

Edited by fathom

Davidson is the type of hitter who would probably not succeed at being a bench player. He is the slugger type, who needs to get in a groove, as he seems to be, at the moment. He's young enough, and has several years of control. It would make more sense to keep developing him, including his defense, and let him hold down 3RD. No one is pushing him, and it will likely be at least 2020, before Burger is ready to challenge anyone for that spot.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 12:50 PM)
Davidson is the type of hitter who would probably not succeed at being a bench player. He is the slugger type, who needs to get in a groove, as he seems to be, at the moment. He's young enough, and has several years of control. It would make more sense to keep developing him, including his defense, and let him hold down 3RD. No one is pushing him, and it will likely be at least 2020, before Burger is ready to challenge anyone for that spot.

Or even LF if need be.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 02:41 PM)
Davidson has now hit one homer in every 12 at bats, almost all of them vs. RHP. Having watched Avi develop, it's hard not to be optimistic that Matt may be emerging as a regular part of this rebuild.

On the other hand, he may just be Jeff Liefer.

Really happy for him though. This season is fun to watch all of these guys that would have been blocked getting a chance to develop. Sometimes it's painful (May), but often it's a lot of fun.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)
He is not at all conditioned to start right now. Dude started exactly 1 game this season before this run of emergency starts.

Oh alright...I was going to say...he doesn't get past 5 innings because we always take him out :)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 12:43 PM)
He was good last year though. Just big time regression this season that we've seen far too often from WSox hitters in their sophomore season

Rollins had a similar regression his second "full" year. I'm willing to give Tim Anderson the whole year until I judge him. He'll likely get another season to prove himself though.

QUOTE (onedude @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 08:59 PM)
Rollins had a similar regression his second "full" year. I'm willing to give Tim Anderson the whole year until I judge him. He'll likely get another season to prove himself though.

He will get longer than that

QUOTE (onedude @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 01:59 PM)

Considering they signed him to a long term deal, he'll get a lot longer than that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 03:00 PM)
Has he ever made it 5 innings?

yes on 9 out of his 17 starts coming into today for his career he has made it at least 5 IP.

I just had the same thought. I hope Shields replaces Holmberg in the rotation with Holmberg returning to the pen as a long reliever. He has done an excellent job but they are asking a great amount of innings from the bullpen.

We really don't have a starter who consistently goes deep into games with Quintana struggling and Rodon yet to make his debut.

On a different point, I am interested to see what they do with the likes of Gonzalez, Holland and Shields at the deadline. I think the Sox would be smart to find a team who would take a salary dump for Shields. Hopefully, He performs well enough to be dealt. Holland could probably net a lottery ticket or 2. I think Arizona could be a good match for him.

I would love to see Jordan Guerrero, Tyler Danish, Reynaldo Lopez and Matt Cooper all get shots at starting at some point this year even if it is only a few start for some of them.