Most Surprising White Sox performance in 17?

southsider2k5

Who is the biggest surprise of this season so far?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the biggest surprise of this season so far?

• Avi Garcia hitting .340+, OPS over .930
    • Leury Garcia taking over CF, OPS over .800
    • Yolmer Sanchez, taking over 2B, OPS near .800
    • Tommy Kahnle 1.35 ERA, 46K in 26 IP
    • Anthony Swarzak 2.56 era, 9k/9
    • Other: please specify

Could be any of the hitters, but I went with Avi. If he keeps this up, or even close, we retroactively win the Peavy trade and that would be huge.

Kahnle and Swarzak are nice, but it's hard to be too excited about bullpen pieces. Polite went from dominant in 2005 to out of baseball in 2007. Also, Swarzak has a 6.75 ERA since giving up his first run a month ago.

I think I got a little off from "most surprising", but whatever.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)
Could be any of the hitters, but I went with Avi. If he keeps this up, or even close, we retroactively win the Peavy trade and that would be huge.

Kahnle and Swarzak are nice, but it's hard to be too excited about bullpen pieces. Polite went from dominant in 2005 to out of baseball in 2007. Also, Swarzak has a 6.75 ERA since giving up his first run a month ago.

I think I got a little off from "most surprising", but whatever.

I dunno, the Red Sox won the World Series with Peavy that year, kind of hard for me to say that they didn't win that one.

I said Leury, mostly because of two things -

1. He's trimmed his K rate by, like, 10%. That's nuts.

2. He's hitting for pretty decent power for a little guy.

Neither of these things seemed even remotely probable at the start of the season. Whereas Avi harnessing some of his pull power seemed like it SHOULD happen, at some point, just maybe not with the Sox.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)
I said Leury, mostly because of two things -

1. He's trimmed his K rate by, like, 10%. That's nuts.

2. He's hitting for pretty decent power for a little guy.

Neither of these things seemed even remotely probable at the start of the season. Whereas Avi harnessing some of his pull power seemed like it SHOULD happen, at some point, just maybe not with the Sox.

Leury pulling his best Angel Pagan impression has to be the most surprising performance, people always held out hope that Avi could deliver and he finally is after dropping a ton of weight, and Yolmer always had a great glove at 2B and a hit tool and finally put it all together but Leury was acquired with little fan fare when Rios was sent to Texas and the fact that he is putting it all together across every facet of the game has to be the most surprising performance.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
I dunno, the Red Sox won the World Series with Peavy that year, kind of hard for me to say that they didn't win that one.

Meh. Peavy was mediocre for them, even in the playoffs. We can still win this.

Everyone wanted Avi gone but I was in the keep him camp. For some reason I felt like he was one of those guys that needed like 5 years to figure it out. Kind of like Niko Mirotic for the Bulls will need. Had we gotten rid of him this spring and he put on this show we'd all have broken TV's.