7 question marks

danman31

I found 7 question marks that will determine how the team will do next year. I know 2003 just ended, but I don't think anyone wants a long winded season review topic. So here are my 7 question marks for the 2004 team that will determine how they will do. I assumed a few things (Alomar resigns, Loaiza, Beuhrle, and Garland have good years, no hitters fall off the face of the Earth i.e. Konerko)

1. Bartolo Colon- The Sox need to re-sign him IMO. If they let him go, then they will have to have somebody step up.

2. CF- I don't really want to see the Sox sign Everett so we can give a young guy a chance. Whether our CFer be Reed, Borchard, Rowand, or Harris next year the player is unproven. All we need is a guy that can get on base with some regularity and that plays solid defence. If we can't get that we are in trouble.

3. 1B- Konerko better not suck again this year. If he does, crap. If he doesn't, our offense will be much improved.

4. C- Olivo needs to improve his hitting. If not we will be looking at another mediocre year behind the plate.

5. 3B- Joe Crede needs to step up here. He was streaky this year and he will need to be more consistent. I think he will do better, but I don't expect him to hit .300 with 30 HRs. If he struggles that's one more hole in the lineup.

6. 5th starter- Who will be our 5th starter next year? More importantly, can us fans go into a game where he starts thinking we can win?

7. Timely hitting- This was the biggest reason why we didn't make the playoffs this year. It's clear that if we can do this we should make the playoffs next year.

With the exception of number 7 we just need 3 of the 1st 6 and we should be set for next year. Of course things can go wrong and it's hard to say whether this team will do well next year or not because at least 20% of their roster will be different next year.

I found 7 question marks that will determine how the team will do next year. I know 2003 just ended, but I don't think anyone wants a long winded season review topic. So here are my 7 question marks for the 2004 team that will determine how they will do. I assumed a few things (Alomar resigns, Loaiza, Beuhrle, and Garland have good years, no hitters fall off the face of the Earth i.e. Konerko)

1. Bartolo Colon- The Sox need to re-sign him IMO. If they let him go, then they will have to have somebody step up.

2. CF- I don't really want to see the Sox sign Everett so we can give a young guy a chance. Whether our CFer be Reed, Borchard, Rowand, or Harris next year the player is unproven. All we need is a guy that can get on base with some regularity and that plays solid defence. If we can't get that we are in trouble.

3. 1B- Konerko better not suck again this year. If he does, crap. If he doesn't, our offense will be much improved.

4. C- Olivo needs to improve his hitting. If not we will be looking at another mediocre year behind the plate.

5. 3B- Joe Crede needs to step up here. He was streaky this year and he will need to be more consistent. I think he will do better, but I don't expect him to hit .300 with 30 HRs. If he struggles that's one more hole in the lineup.

6. 5th starter- Who will be our 5th starter next year? More importantly can us fans going into a game where he starts thinking we can win?

7. Timely hitting- This was the biggest reason why we didn't make the playoffs this year. It's clear that if we can do this we should make the playoffs next year.

With the exception of number 7 we just need 3 of the 1st 6 and we should be set for next year. Of course things can go wrong and it's hard to say whether this team will do well next year or not because at least 20% of their roster will be different next year.

I want Everett back, however at the same time I want to see Rowand out in centerfield. I wouldn't mind seeing Carl DH for the Sox next year, that would mean that either Thomas or Konerko would have to go though.

Joe Crede has been one of our best hitters since the all-star break. He has been absolutly crushing the ball and in my opinion is comfortable at the big league level.

I'd love to see the Sox re-sign Colon, Alomar, Everett, and Loaiza. Loaiza will be the easiest since he has a club option for 04. However it is very doutful that the other three will return.

One position the Sox need to address in the off-season is finding a new shortstop. If the Sox are serious about competing they'll find a replacement for Valentin. I'm sick of seeing Jose constantly trying to swing for the fences.

As for our new manager, give me Backman, Leyland or Fisk.

CWSOX45

Thats the thing, the $64,000 question. We have Everett, Thomas and Konerko. We can and only need to keep 2 of those 3. It'll depend on whether or not they can get someone to take Konerko, that'll mean Frank would play 1st alot more. Do we want that? If not, then Maggs will have to be the one moved, because of $$$. Carl can play RF, and let Rowand/Reed play CF.

I agree with CWSOX45 - I would also add the shortstop situation as another major question mark for 2004.

Will the Sox make a serious push for either Matsui or Tejada?

SHOULD they make a run at Tejada, or would he just be a better hitting Jose Valentin?

The SS position needs a serious upgrade, and the system doesn't seem to have a solid guy to plug in right now.

Everett is gone........... bank on it.

The Sox are not going to pay him $7 mil or more. Once he becomes a free agent, his price will come down. I don't see the Sox offering arbitration, but I still don't think the Sox can sign him for less than 20% than what he made this year until after a certain deadline. I may have some things mixed up here, but the bottom line is I don't see him signing for less than $5 million, which is where I believe his true value is.

Keep in mind this is a guy that before this year, had only two non-mediocre seasons. The likelihood of him having a season making him a $5 mil or higher player is not great in my opinion.

It doesnt matter. Carl can repeat these kinda numbers and even a season like he had in 2001 (.257-14-58) would beat whoever took his place (Rowand, Borchard or Reed). And he plays all out all the time. No one else on this team does that...

So you would pay big bucks to a guy who hits .257-14-58??

LOL

LOL

I dont think hes going to do that tho. I think he can repeat and probably improve upon this past season, making him well worth the money...

He might.......... but history certainly doesn't back up your theory. The guy is an average player who plays hard. Lots of those kind of players much cheaper.

It doesnt matter. Carl can repeat these kinda numbers and even a season like he had in 2001 (.257-14-58) would beat whoever took his place (Rowand, Borchard or Reed). And he plays all out all the time. No one else on this team does that...

Are you sure, Roman.....are you sure he is the only player who plays all out all the time??? Are you sure that we dont have someone who, despite being a guy who gives his all, had the second fewest ABs of anyone on our regular roster?? In case you still don't know who I speak of, AaRow deserves his shot, he's played with intensity when given the chance to play, and he doesnt cost 7+ mill like Everett.

Let's face reality here:

SOX owe Thomas 6MIL nxt yr (poss 2MIL bonus)

SOX owe Koney 8MIL nxt yr

SOX owe Maggs 14.5MIL nxt yr

SOX owe Koch 6MIL nxt yr

They can't simply sweep that away.

It's a slim chance Thomas walks away from a guar 24MIL to play for another team under a new contract.

KW needs to be creative here. There's a total of 28.5MIL in salary he needs to move in order to sign Colon, FA 2B, & Everett. Koch is not needed as Gordon, Marte, or Wright can do as equally a good job.

I think he can work a 3-way deal betw the NYM & STL so that NY gets Koch & Drew, STL gets Koney & Maggs, SOX get Renteria & a pkg of ml prospects betw NY & STL.

Renteria costs them 6MIL, so they have 22.5MIL freed up to sign Colon, Everett, pay the raises to Buehrle, & Lee, sign a FA 2B, offer Val a 2 yr to play 1B, etc.

Well, you must remember that Gordon is not signed for next year, and he will make plenty o' money, as there are already a couple teams interested in making a run at him. Koch, we have him for 2004 whether or not we like it. All we can do is hope he cando absolutely nothing all winter, let his arm rest, and come back like gangbusters for ST. Our best option is to move Konerko, and that will be VERY hard to do right now. With his 8 mil, you can get Colon back. We lose Everetts salary, because we can't afford him....Robbie, theres an enigma....I'd like to have him back, but I'd just as soon let Harris/Miles play there to save the $$$. Shortstop, I think it will be well known before winter is over that both Jason and I are firm believers in Kazuo Matsui. Does that mean JR will go after him? Of course not, we probably won't be anywhere near the running for him. We have some holes to fill, and not alot of $$$ right now to fill them.

Are you sure, Roman.....are you sure he is the only player who plays all out all the time??? Are you sure that we dont have someone who, despite being a guy who gives his all, had the second fewest ABs of anyone on our regular roster?? In case you still don't know who I speak of, AaRow deserves his shot, he's played with intensity when given the chance to play, and he doesnt cost 7+ mill like Everett.

Dorn? Wasnt he the first starter out there this year? He did a great job, didnt he?

Everett will provide some heart and power to this lineup. Whats Dorn gonna give us? Well let Everett go and Dorn will end up hitting .220 with 5 homeruns in half a season. Bad choice...

Well, you must remember that Gordon is not signed for next year, and he will make plenty o' money, as there are already a couple teams interested in making a run at him. Koch, we have him for 2004 whether or not we like it. All we can do is hope he cando absolutely nothing all winter, let his arm rest, and come back like gangbusters for ST. Our best option is to move Konerko, and that will be VERY hard to do right now. With his 8 mil, you can get Colon back. We lose Everetts salary, because we can't afford him....Robbie, theres an enigma....I'd like to have him back, but I'd just as soon let Harris/Miles play there to save the $$$. Shortstop, I think it will be well known before winter is over that both Jason and I are firm believers in Kazuo Matsui. Does that mean JR will go after him? Of course not, we probably won't be anywhere near the running for him. We have some holes to fill, and not alot of $$$ right now to fill them.

Miles looked good in his time up here. Let him play! :headbang

Dorn? Wasnt he the first starter out there this year? He did a great job, didnt he?

Everett will provide some heart and power to this lineup. Whats Dorn gonna give us? Well let Everett go and Dorn will end up hitting .220 with 5 homeruns in half a season. Bad choice...

Ya think that maybe that motorcycle wreck he had mighta just had some affect on his start? Everett's "heart" in CF doesnt make up for the fact that he has no clue how to play Center. He throws it to the wrong base, never gets good reads off the bat, and quite often is bailed out by CLee and Maggs. We don't need an overpriced defensive liability, we have quite a few of those already. Go look at AaRows stats since after he was called back up, and tell me he hasnt performed when given the opportunity.