Quintana

ScootsMcGoots

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 08:13 AM)
Landing one of Frazier/Rutherford + one of Sheffield/Adams/ + Andujar + Abreu would be a great deal

Excellent article and those are good possibilities.

It's really a shame that they lost 2 of their top prospects to injury; unfortunate for those guys, and makes it tougher to trade the prospects they have left.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 08:26 AM)
We can't forget that it isn't a given that the Sox will be willing to eat any of Robertson's salary.

Heyman is reporting otherwise. He says Sox will eat $$ on guys to enhance prospect return

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 08:13 AM)
Landing one of Frazier/Rutherford + one of Sheffield/Adams/ + Andujar + Abreu would be a great deal

Honestly I think Q is worth one of these packages

Frazier + Sheffield + Andujar

or

Rutherford + Sheffield + Adams + Andujar

Last off season i had him and Eaton pegged at near identical value but having said that the trade deadline brings about another level to the mix so we will see. Hahn will get what he demands or he keeps Q, I'm not worried.

Additionally I think the sox are better served just paying down Robertson's contract to get the best value, his contract isn't some albatross; its actually below the going rate, just look at Melancon.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 08:26 AM)
We can't forget that it isn't a given that the Sox will be willing to eat any of Robertson's salary.

Heyman posted an article today saying the Sox will gladly eat salary if it gets them a better prospect return. Right or wrong, I'm operating under that assumption for the time-being. And if we're willing to, I think a Soto or more realistically a Kieboom headliner becomes a possibility with WAS.

Look, I'd do Frazier, Sheffield/Adams, & Andujar in a heartbeat for Q. If that's a little too rich for their blood, throw in Frazier and get back a low-end prospect to fill out the deal. Robertson should land a low end top 100 prospect in this market if we eat even a small amount of salary. We take on a bigger chunk and he suddenly becomes one of the most valuable relievers on the market that any team can afford. Trading him and Quintana should result in an absolute haul and I'm not quite sure that proposed offer is quite that.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 08:30 AM)
Excellent article and those are good possibilities.

It's really a shame that they lost 2 of their top prospects to injury; unfortunate for those guys, and makes it tougher to trade the prospects they have left.

It's not like they died. Torres in particular should be fine.

Great article. Key part is still he is unsure Cashman would throw his line in with Q/Robertson or look for cheaper options, but really nice seeing a line that thinks that's fair value.

Obviously it's a 2-for package, but getting 4 top ten prospects in a system like the yankees would be really exciting.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 08:35 AM)
Honestly I think Q is worth one of these packages

Frazier + Sheffield + Andujar

or

Rutherford + Sheffield + Adams + Andujar

Last off season i had him and Eaton pegged at near identical value but having said that the trade deadline brings about another level to the mix so we will see. Hahn will get what he demands or he keeps Q, I'm not worried.

Additionally I think the sox are better served just paying down Robertson's contract to get the best value, his contract isn't some albatross; its actually below the going rate, just look at Melancon.

The difference in value between Frazier & Rutherford is not Adams. Honestly, I bet most scouts are split on who the better prospect is. I do think that first package is fairly reasonable though. Maybe throw in Todd if Andujad is too good of a 3rd piece, but I think the basic framework is there.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 06:37 AM)
Heyman posted an article today saying the Sox will gladly eat salary if it gets them a better prospect return. Right or wrong, I'm operating under that assumption for the time-being. And if we're willing to, I think a Soto or more realistically a Kieboom headliner becomes a possibility with WAS.

Look, I'd do Frazier, Sheffield/Adams, & Andujar in a heartbeat for Q. If that's a little too rich for their blood, throw in Frazier and get back a low-end prospect to fill out the deal. Robertson should land a low end top 100 prospect in this market if we eat even a small amount of salary. We take on a bigger chunk and he suddenly becomes one of the most valuable relievers on the market that any team can afford. Trading him and Quintana should result in an absolute haul and I'm not quite sure that proposed offer is quite that.

I agree...I don't think it does us any good to be packaging some of our better assets such as Q and Robertson or Kahnle unless it gets us the PARTICULAR guy(s) that you really want. Otherwise, there is enough demand out there to trade them separately and get additional depth.

That being the case, if the Sox really loved Rutherford or Frazier, for instance, much more so than Tucker or hypothetically Jimenez, maybe it would be worth burning one of those chips to get the guy they really wanted as opposed to just some other top 50 prospect.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 08:57 AM)
I agree...I don't think it does us any good to be packaging some of our better assets such as Q and Robertson or Kahnle unless it gets us the PARTICULAR guy(s) that you really want. Otherwise, there is enough demand out there to trade them separately and get additional depth.

That being the case, if the Sox really loved Rutherford or Frazier, for instance, much more so than Tucker or hypothetically Jimenez, maybe it would be worth burning one of those chips to get the guy they really wanted as opposed to just some other top 50 prospect.

At the very least, I'd rate every single one of the players mentioned above Drew Ward and Jesus Lazardo from the previous rumored Robertson deal.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 08:12 AM)
s***'s about to get real. Too many teams in need of pitching with strong farm systems along with limited sellers puts us in a great spot.

I don't think that Yankees package is enough for both Quintana & Robertson though. Would either need a better 4th piece than Abreu or an interesting 5th piece to consider such a deal. Otherwise, I think you can get more by selling them seperately.

The package listed is pretty close to what their asking price has been for Quintana alone.

I would strongly prefer Eloy as a headliner for Q as opposed to guys like Frazier or Rutherford. Even if it comes at the expense of depth in the trade. We can fill out the system's depth when trading everyone else.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 08:09 AM)
The package listed is pretty close to what their asking price has been for Quintana alone.

yeah if I am giving up my 2 biggest trade chips I want torres and Rutherford and sheffeild and florial. I would go for what was being listed for just Q...

QUOTE (Soha @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 09:20 AM)
I would strongly prefer Eloy as a headliner for Q as opposed to guys like Frazier or Rutherford. Even if it comes at the expense of depth in the trade. We can fill out the system's depth when trading everyone else.

The White Sox and Cubs aren't making a Quintana deal

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 08:14 AM)
For both guys?

Agreed, I'd want more for both. I actually don't see Hahn packaging Q and what is likely his 2nd best realistic trade chip in Robertson.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 09:28 AM)
The White Sox and Cubs aren't making a Quintana deal

In the past I would have agreed with you. But it's all about the rebuild now isn't it? I think Jerry's too old to let things like this get in the way.

I'm envisioning a conversation where Hahn tells Jerry that we have 2 good offers. The better offer is from the Cubs for Jimenez +. I just don't see Jerry saying to take the worse offer because I don't want Quintana helping the Cubs. That in itself is hurting the White Sox. I think they're above that now. Maybe I'm wrong? And boy is the need ever there. The Cubs probably need Quintana more than any other contender in baseball does.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)
In the past I would have agreed with you. But it's all about the rebuild now isn't it? I think Jerry's too old to let things like this get in the way.

I'm envisioning a conversation where Hahn tells Jerry that we have 2 good offers. The better offer is from the Cubs for Jimenez +. I just don't see Jerry saying to take the worse offer because I don't want Quintana helping the Cubs. That in itself is hurting the White Sox. I think they're above that now. Maybe I'm wrong? And boy is the need ever there. The Cubs probably need Quintana more than any other contender in baseball does.

The Cubs may need Q worse than anyone else, but I don't see them being willing to pay what it would take for Hahn to be able to do that deal. I think the Cubs would find a better price for a guy like Archer than they would for Q.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 09:38 AM)
The Cubs may need Q worse than anyone else, but I don't see them being willing to pay what it would take for Hahn to be able to do that deal. I think the Cubs would find a better price for a guy like Archer than they would for Q.

There's a very good chance Archer won't be available. There probably aren't many "guys like Archer" that will be available. And if Archer were, he would cost a lot as well more than likely.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 09:38 AM)

Theo has already said they over-drafted hitters, with the intention of trading some of them for pitching eventually. In other words, he's already hinted a willingness to move a guy like Eloy. Most teams that have a hitting prospect of that caliber simply won't consider moving those guys, period. Unless a guy like Chris Sale is dangled of course.

And for Archer - I'm doubting he gets moved. We'll see.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 09:40 AM)
There's a very good chance Archer won't be available. There probably aren't many "guys like Archer" that will be available. And if Archer were, he would cost a lot as well more than likely.

My point being is there will likely be a "rivals premium" built into a deal if someone like the Cubs, Detroit, Minnesota etc calls and wants to ask about Q.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 08:57 AM)

100% agree. I think more often than not, you're better off selling your key assets separately. Now if there is a guy who your scouts are convinced is a sure fire superstar then I get it and it's possible soemone offers something just so overwhelming you have to take it. But typically teams only want to trade so many prospects (or only have so many) at one time that you're better off doing deals with multiple clubs.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 09:50 AM)
100% agree. I think more often than not, you're better off selling your key assets separately. Now if there is a guy who your scouts are convinced is a sure fire superstar then I get it and it's possible soemone offers something just so overwhelming you have to take it. But typically teams only want to trade so many prospects (or only have so many) at one time that you're better off doing deals with multiple clubs.

I think a guy like Robertson's value being adding to a guy like Q might mean that instead of getting a teams #2 guy, maybe it gets you there #1 guy, plus a little more at the end of the deal. In a Yankees deal, maybe it moves the needle enough that the top prospect is Torres, instead of Frazier.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 08:02 AM)
I think a guy like Robertson's value being adding to a guy like Q might mean that instead of getting a teams #2 guy, maybe it gets you there #1 guy, plus a little more at the end of the deal. In a Yankees deal, maybe it moves the needle enough that the top prospect is Torres, instead of Frazier.

That is interesting to think about, considering Torres is injured but Frazier has some makeup concerns. And of course considering we already have our MI accounted for.

I would be very hesitant to package Robertson with Q, particularly since we know Washington is a very likely potential destination for Robertson.

If we can assume that Robertson can net Soto from Washington, I suspect the only way I'm packaging Robertson to the Yanks is if they are willing to give me Frazier and Rutherford.