Quintana

ScootsMcGoots

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 09:46 AM)
My point being is there will likely be a "rivals premium" built into a deal if someone like the Cubs, Detroit, Minnesota etc calls and wants to ask about Q.

To me, you don't move a guy like Quintana to Cleveland or Minnesota period. I don't care how much more they offer. Because when the Sox get good in 2-3 years (hopefully), we then have to deal with Quintana in our division.

For the Cubs though - that's just being petty. I mean, maybe you're right. But if they're taking an half-assed approach to the rebuild with that kind of mindset, then this thing might be doomed before it starts.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soha @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 10:10 AM)
To me, you don't move a guy like Quintana to Cleveland or Minnesota period. I don't care how much more they offer. Because when the Sox get good in 2-3 years (hopefully), we then have to deal with Quintana in our division.

For the Cubs though - that's just being petty. I mean, maybe you're right. But if they're taking an half-assed approach to the rebuild with that kind of mindset, then this thing might be doomed before it starts.

I would offer Quintana to whichever team made the best offer. The Sox aren't going to be good until at least 2020, right? Well the following year, Quintana's contract expires, and he would be free to sign with whichever team he wants.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)
In the past I would have agreed with you. But it's all about the rebuild now isn't it? I think Jerry's too old to let things like this get in the way.

I'm envisioning a conversation where Hahn tells Jerry that we have 2 good offers. The better offer is from the Cubs for Jimenez +. I just don't see Jerry saying to take the worse offer because I don't want Quintana helping the Cubs. That in itself is hurting the White Sox. I think they're above that now. Maybe I'm wrong? And boy is the need ever there. The Cubs probably need Quintana more than any other contender in baseball does.

It's like a "regional" tax similar to what it'd be like to deal with a divisional team. I don't think there's any way that the Cubs offer a bunch more than Houston or NYY and that's what it'd take to send Q there.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)
It's like a "regional" tax similar to what it'd be like to deal with a divisional team. I don't think there's any way that the Cubs offer a bunch more than Houston or NYY and that's what it'd take to send Q there.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make. I think the Cubs pivot to an Archer or Gray because there is no way they can get a deal done for Q that isn't more expensive than one of those guys.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 09:20 AM)
This is exactly the point I was trying to make. I think the Cubs pivot to an Archer or Gray because there is no way they can get a deal done for Q that isn't more expensive than one of those guys.

Archer>Jose>Gray

The question is whether they'd trade Jimenez for Gray...or try to substitute a package of guys like Schwarber, Candelario and Almora (in some combination).

Remove one of the hitters and substitute Cease, de la Cruz or Clifton. Perhaps.

Don't see any well in hell Happ can be traded now. And Baez is more valuable to the Cubs with his defensive versatility.

Fwiw, the A's claim they want to compete and not rebuild in 2018. Maybe Lowrie goes other way if Baez is included?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)

Maybe you're right. Here's my thoughts.

I'm not sure Houston has a great need for Quintana right now. And they've been balking at the Sox asking price since December. I would be surprised if he goes there. They seem stingy with giving up their prized prospects, and I think their perceived need of Quintana is a lot lower now than it was prior to the season.

For the Yankees - if they manage to stay in the race, I'd probably call them the favorites to land him. But they just don't look like that good of a team to me. I suspect they'll be sliding out of the race by the time the trading deadline comes, and then they won't be buyers. As Cashman has already said, the Yankees are doing the exact same thing as the White Sox (regarding a rebuild via prospects), but they're much further along since they started before us. They're probably not going to cut in to all that rebuild work just because they played a bit over their heads for 2 months.

With everything in mind, teams to watch are Atlanta and the two darkhorses are the Cubs and Red Sox. Dombrowski loves trading prospects away. And I'm sure Quintana dominating the Yankees the other day caught his attention.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 09:31 AM)
Maybe you're right. Here's my thoughts.

I'm not sure Houston has a great need for Quintana right now. And they've been balking at the Sox asking price since December. I would be surprised if he goes there. They seem stingy with giving up their prized prospects, and I think their perceived need of Quintana is a lot lower now than it was prior to the season.

For the Yankees - if they manage to stay in the race, I'd probably call them the favorites to land him. But they just don't look like that good of a team to me. I suspect they'll be sliding out of the race by the time the trading deadline comes, and then they won't be buyers. As Cashman has already said, the Yankees are doing the exact same thing as the White Sox (regarding a rebuild via prospects), but they're much further along since they started before us. They're probably not going to cut in to all that rebuild work just because they played a bit over their heads for 2 months.

With everything in mind, teams to watch are Atlanta and the two darkhorses are the Cubs and Red Sox. Dombrowski loves trading prospects away. And I'm sure Quintana dominating the Yankees the other day caught his attention.

Domingo Santana's probably the best they've dealt.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 10:02 AM)
I think a guy like Robertson's value being adding to a guy like Q might mean that instead of getting a teams #2 guy, maybe it gets you there #1 guy, plus a little more at the end of the deal. In a Yankees deal, maybe it moves the needle enough that the top prospect is Torres, instead of Frazier.

If the Sox make a deal with the Yankees, it would be nice if they ask for a ss named Thairo Estrada as

A finishing piece. 21 yrs. old really good glove. Looks like he can hit for average and runs pretty well. It

might light a fire under TA as an extra incentive.

QUOTE (zisk @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 10:42 AM)
If the Sox make a deal with the Yankees, it would be nice if they ask for a ss named Thairo Estrada as

A finishing piece. 21 yrs. old really good glove. Looks like he can hit for average and runs pretty well. It

might light a fire under TA as an extra incentive.

I would prefer they look to someone else. His ceiling looks to be that of someone like Jamey Carroll. Decent contact skills and plate discipline, but there's no power whatsoever. He's a utility player at his best. The Sox have plenty of those.

Hell, they could just sign Alcides Escobar (probably the best defensive SS in the game, him or Simmons) for $10 million/two years and target other more legit trade candidates instead of yet more utility infielders...

Move Anderson or Moncada to CF, leave the other at 2B.

Or Sanchez at 2b and both those guys in the OF with Avisail.

Of course, the most obvious option is Leury Garcia at SS.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
Hell, they could just sign Alcides Escobar (probably the best defensive SS in the game, him or Simmons) for $10 million/two years and target other more legit trade candidates instead of yet more utility infielders...

The highest ceiling SS the White Sox have is Tim Anderson. Tim Anderson is the most obvious option for SS.

The most obvious option is Tim Anderson. Let the kid play.

Oh, and Alcides Escobar is terrible.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 10:13 AM)
The most obvious option is Tim Anderson. Let the kid play.

Oh, and Alcides Escobar is terrible.

And so were Jean Segura, Logan Morrison, Justin Smoak and Alonso.

Every player who has a bad season or two isn't doomed forever. Look at Avisail Garcia.

Absolutely, I would be willing to deal with the Scrubs as they have pieces that would fit us really well. It starts with Happ who I would put in left and leave alone. His 33% k rate scares me but he hits and is that nearly developed hitter we talk about. Candelario also is a must and gives us another switch hitter and 3rd baseman. Caratini could be interesting as a backup catcher/dh and third switch hitter but he isn't a must and could be subbed out for a higher risk/higher ceiling player. I would also want one of their lower level young LHP as a fourth piece either Steele or Hudson.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
The highest ceiling SS the White Sox have is Tim Anderson. Tim Anderson is the most obvious option for SS.

Not if putting up a 35-40 error season starts to impact his offense to the extent he's barely replacement player level or below.

The Sox aren't going to block one of their top prospects for an off of the street signing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)

Every player who has a bad season or two isn't doomed forever. Look at Avisail Garcia.

Escobar's career OBP is .292. He has taken 6 walks all year. He no longer steals bags. He is now over 30. He is a good defender, but that is it.

You don't move Tim Anderson away from SS for Alcides Escobar. That is crazy.

I would like to get see some younger SS prospects in the system, however. We just have Curbelo. Keiboom would be nice for that reason, but, it's not something you have to get. Just an area I hope we even out in the system.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)

Hmm, so, all of the above are worth waiting on. But Tim Anderson, doomed forever lets sign Alcides Escobar

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 09:35 AM)
I would like to get see some younger SS prospects in the system, however. We just have Curbelo. Keiboom would be nice for that reason, but, it's not something you have to get. Just an area I hope we even out in the system.

Part of the issue is it is so difficult to identify the guys that can hit AND stick that are still some years away.

You end up with a bunch of all glove guys or guys that end up moving off short to third.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 11:36 AM)
Part of the issue is it is so difficult to identify the guys that can hit AND stick that are still some years away.

You end up with a bunch of all glove guys or guys that end up moving off short to third.

That low-hit rate is the reason I want to see some more there. We don't need an heir apparent (yet), but if we hit on one it's incredibly valuable. But, hopefully LatAm/next draft can do this. The HS talent next year is supposed to be great.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
Not if putting up a 35-40 error season starts to impact his offense to the extent he's barely replacement player level or below.

His first two years are starting to closely resemble Jose Reyes' first two years. Given, Reyes was about 3 years younger, but they are probably both along the same timeline as far as baseball experience is concerned.

There is no harm in letting Anderson play the next 2-3 years at SS. If he doesn't stick, you use him as a super utility player and try the next guy. You don't sign Alcides Escobar, who has been probably the worst SS in the majors this year. And, the sad thing is, Escobar really hasn't seen much in the way of bad luck. His BABIP this year is .269, which is only 26 points off of his career BABIP of .295. He is legitimately a -1 WAR player now. If you're going to sign Alcides Escobar, you may as well sign Erick Aybar or Alexei Ramirez.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)
His first two years are starting to closely resemble Jose Reyes' first two years. Given, Reyes was about 3 years younger, but they are probably both along the same timeline as far as baseball experience is concerned.

There is no harm in letting Anderson play the next 2-3 years at SS. If he doesn't stick, you use him as a super utility player and try the next guy. You don't sign Alcides Escobar, who has been probably the worst SS in the majors this year. And, the sad thing is, Escobar really hasn't seen much in the way of bad luck. His BABIP this year is .269, which is only 26 points off of his career BABIP of .295. He is legitimately a -1 WAR player now. If you're going to sign Alcides Escobar, you may as well sign Erick Aybar or Alexei Ramirez.

You might as well sign Ozzie Guillen to play SS.