Quintana

ScootsMcGoots

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 08:23 PM)
Caulfield have you been following the White Sox over the past few years? The Chicago White Sox non-tendered Tyler Flowers after the 2015 season, fresh off a .239/.295/.356 campaign, before his final trip through arbitration in his age 29 season -- because the team was ALL-IN and desperately signed two free agent veterans in hopes of finding some offense. Wtf do you mean "kept him to be the bridge to a competitive team?"

Also, the Francisco Cervelli contract has been HORRIBLE since basically a week after it was signed. If anything, Cervelli's situation would be illustrative of why NOT to believe in a random fluke career offensive performance for an aging, bad hitting catcher.

How is a 1.7 fWAR terrible?

That's worth around $13-14 million...if you want to talk about terrible, you can line up all the Sox free agents signed since 2014-15 through the following season.

Granted, he might never be nearly a 4 again, but a $31 million contract over three years is far less than the Sox are paying Cabrera and even Robertson for an everyday catcher.

Even if he ends up at 1.2-1.5 fWAR this year, that's still not a bad value compared to the other huge overpays on the FA market the last couple of offseasons.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 01:44 AM)
How is a 1.7 fWAR terrible?

That's worth around $13-14 million...if you want to talk about terrible, you can line up all the Sox free agents signed since 2014-15 through the following season.

Granted, he might never be nearly a 4 again, but a $31 million contract over three years is far less than the Sox are paying Cabrera and even Robertson for an everyday catcher.

Even if he ends up at 1.2-1.5 fWAR this year, that's still not a bad value compared to the other huge overpays on the FA market the last couple of offseasons.

fWAR is likely underrating Flowers too because it doesn't account for pitch framing. I don't have data for this year in front of me, but stat corner had him being +22.5 runs in '15 and then +13.3 runs in '16.

Never at any point when Flowers was on the Sox was I clamoring for a long-term extension but it was obvious at the time they were making a mistake opting to sign Avila and/or Navarro over keeping him.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 01:52 AM)
fWAR is likely underrating Flowers too because it doesn't account for pitch framing. I don't have data for this year in front of me, but stat corner had him being +22.5 runs in '15 and then +13.3 runs in '16.

Never at any point when Flowers was on the Sox was I clamoring for a long-term extension but it was obvious at the time they were making a mistake opting to sign Avila and/or Navarro over keeping him.

Bwar has him at negative defensive value but still the 104th most valuable player in baseball this year.

50/58 catchers with 150+ plate appearances at defense at fangraphs.

56/58 in DRS.

Of course, Avila has been worth 2.5 war already this year. Figures.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 06:20 AM)
Bwar has him at negative defensive value but still the 104th most valuable player in baseball this year.

50/58 catchers with 150+ plate appearances at defense at fangraphs.

56/58 in DRS.

Of course, Avila has been worth 2.5 war already this year. Figures.

Fwar, Bwar blahhhhh. keep it simple. The weather in Atlanta is a hell of a lot better than Chicago. So of course Flowers's bat would bloom down south.

Let's get this thread back on track.

Who thinks the Dodgers could be the sleeper team in the Quintana sweepstakes? Rumors are they are interested in a cost controlled TOR starter and Q could also provide a huge impact in this year's playoffs as well. The Dodgers also have the pieces to get a deal done. Any deal IMO would have to be built around Verdugo & Buehler IMO. Get me those two guys & two of their recent high profile LatAm signings and that's a deal that could make sense for both sides.

Rockies are being picked as the NL team to collapse in the second half...they definitely need veteran help for that young pitching staff as they hit their innings limits.

Also, Gray was almost as good as Q this week in the near no-hitter by Braves/Folty...

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 08:11 AM)

Who thinks the Dodgers could be the sleeper team in the Quintana sweepstakes? Rumors are they are interested in a cost controlled TOR starter and Q could also provide a huge impact in this year's playoffs as well. The Dodgers also have the pieces to get a deal done. Any deal IMO would have to be built around Verdugo & Buehler IMO. Get me those two guys & two of their recent high profile LatAm signings and that's a deal that could make sense for both sides.

They already have a plethora of LH starters.

Gray or Archer are better fits there.

Article on what's expected to happen with Darvish

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rang...ake-run-october

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 07:52 AM)

Flowers was buried on this board. He was despised by people. I'm not saying he was great but I'm always amazed certain players are despised and some tolerated despite having equally s*** production. There were no Flowers supporters on this board.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 07:11 AM)

Jason definitely does.

Fathom would be furious if we did not get Calhoun!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 01:21 PM)
Jason definitely does.

Fathom would be furious if we did not get Calhoun!

The problem with Calhoun is where do you play him. Can he stick at 2B and not kill you there? For a team that plays half its games in a park that greatly benefits from keeping the ball on the ground, I'm not sure how I feel about relying on Willie up the middle. And this all assumes the Sox would be willing to move Moncada, which I'm personally more than ok with but the front hasn't hinted at much interest in at all. On the other hand, if he's only a DH/1B that greatly reduces the value he provides obviously. Just don't think he's a great fit for us as much as I find him as interesting prospect.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 11:29 AM)
The problem with Calhoun is where do you play him. Can he stick at 2B and not kill you there? For a team that plays half its games in a park that greatly benefits from keeping the ball on the ground, I'm not sure how I feel about relying on Willie up the middle. And this all assumes the Sox would be willing to move Moncada, which I'm personally more than ok with but the front hasn't hinted at much interest in at all. On the other hand, if he's only a DH/1B that greatly reduces the value he provides obviously. Just don't think he's a great fit for us as much as I find him as interesting prospect.

I'm with you...he sounds like a DH, but Fathom seems to think his bat is so good that he's still worth it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 01:39 PM)
I'm with you...he sounds like a DH, but Fathom seems to think his bat is so good that he's still worth it.

Calhoun likely ends up as bat first left fielder.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 06:39 PM)

Not only is he a good hitter, but he's just so likely to be traded to an AL team it makes sense to speculate about him as a strong 3rd piece for Q

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 06:24 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=3531633:date=Jul 1, 2017 -> 06:39 PM:name=iamshack)-->
QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 06:39 PM)
<!--quotec-->I'm with you...he sounds like a DH, but Fathom seems to think his bat is so good that he's still worth it.

Not only is he a good hitter, but he's just so likely to be traded to an AL team it makes sense to speculate about him as a strong 3rd piece for Q

As a 3rd piece I'd love him, but I find it hard to believe Q lands three top 100 guys unless the headliner isn't great.

Martes leaves after 5+, 89 pitches, 7k, 4 hits, 0ER so far but leaves men on 1st and 3rd with 0 outs in the inning.

Frazier with a sinking liner for a double (probably should have been a single).