Quintana

ScootsMcGoots

QUOTE (striker @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 08:35 AM)
Groome is healthy again for the Red Sox. I still see them as a possibility for Q. Devers would be a great headliner in a deal with Groome being the second piece.

Doubtful the Red Sox gut their system even more by dealing Devers and Groome.

The issue with Devers and Chavis is that neither is currently a very good defensive player, with each having committed 12 errors in 60 games this season. That is not going to cut it at the mlb level.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 10:04 AM)
Doubtful the Red Sox gut their system even more by dealing Devers and Groome.

The issue with Devers and Chavis is that neither is currently a very good defensive player, with each having committed 12 errors in 60 games this season. That is not going to cut it at the mlb level.

Porcello is struggling, Price is doing well but still could be a concern. The entire rest of their lineup is pretty inexpensive. Quintana helps stabilize their rotation, improves their playoff rotation, is priced very well for the next 3.5 years (key for a team trying to stay under the luxury tax).

QUOTE (striker @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 09:15 AM)
Porcello is struggling, Price is doing well but still could be a concern. The entire rest of their lineup is pretty inexpensive. Quintana helps stabilize their rotation, improves their playoff rotation, is priced very well for the next 3.5 years (key for a team trying to stay under the luxury tax).

I do not love the Red Sox as a match in a Quintana trade. Outside of Devers and Groome their system falls off pretty quickly and I'd need considerably more to move Quintana. Groome is young, but has yet to do much of anything in the past year since going pro.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...ticle-1.3288375

This author suggests a Quintana + Robertson to the Yankees in exchange for Frazier or Rutherford + Sheffield or Adams + Wade or Andujar + Abreu

That's not necessarily too far off what it would take, but I would be unwilling to eat any of the money on Robertson's deal. We are all pretty sure that RH would prefer to deal Robertson separately and get a bit better return.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)
I do not love the Red Sox as a match in a Quintana trade. Outside of Devers and Groome their system falls off pretty quickly and I'd need considerably more to move Quintana. Groome is young, but has yet to do much of anything in the past year since going pro.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...ticle-1.3288375

This author suggests a Quintana + Robertson to the Yankees in exchange for Frazier or Rutherford + Sheffield or Adams + Wade or Andujar + Abreu

That's not necessarily too far off what it would take, but I would be unwilling to eat any of the money on Robertson's deal. We are all pretty sure that RH would prefer to deal Robertson separately and get a bit better return.

For both Q and Robertson... I would say no. If they are getting both I think starting with Torres is the only way. That deal seems to be around the asking price for just Q.

QUOTE (striker @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)

The Red Sox have 4 lefties and Porcello in their rotation. They are not going to trade for Q. They probably will add a #5 righty for insurance. They also would probably not trade Devers in any deal since they cannot find an answer at 3rd.

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)
For both Q and Robertson... I would say no. If they are getting both I think starting with Torres is the only way. That deal seems to be around the asking price for just Q.

I didn't say that necessarily gets the deal done, but it thinking along the right lines. Robertson is worth more than a salary dump, especially considering the absurd contracts that closers are getting now. Robertson's deal seems much more reasonable than it did one year ago.

I agree, Torres would need to be on the table if Quintana and Robertson were on the move, plus considerably more. I'm sure the Yankees consider him untouchable though, even despite the tommy john.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 07:06 PM)
I imagine Verlander's contract and asking price only helps the Sox in the Quintana market.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)
He also has a full no trade clause

I think that his fiancee' is a Yankees fan... So there's that.

EDITED for misinfo.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 10:10 PM)
Vargas has given up 6 already tonight...not even out of third. Hadn't lost since May 22nd, 7-0 during that timeframe.

Vargas is due for major regression. His FIP is 3.79 and his xFIP is 4.77 compared with his 2.62 ERA. He might be an all star, but don't be fooled into thinking he will keep up this level of production.

Just hope the Royals keep playing well...they have a lot of good players to sell, should they desire.

But they have a real chance at the division and have one kernel of hope that gives them a chance at the big banana: they won the Seasonal Series v Astros (small sample size, admittedly).

Swarzak would be a nice, affordable, add to their bullpen.

I know a trade to them is unlikely but man do the Cubs need a pitcher bad. Lackey just went to the DL with plantar fasciitis and Montgomery getting lit up by the Brewers.

Edited by Sockin

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)
I know a trade to them is unlikely but man do the Cubs need a pitcher bad. Lackey just went to the DL with plantar fasciitis and Montgomery getting lit up by the Brewers.

Unlikely, but Rick Hahn grew up a Cubs fan. I think he would be more than happy to trade with them. Of course the great Theo would be at the other end. Isn't there a concern about being swindled?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
Unlikely, but Rick Hahn grew up a Cubs fan. I think he would be more than happy to trade with them. Of course the great Theo would be at the other end. Isn't there a concern about being swindled?

Not if they give up whay would be required, including the Cubs tax.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 02:21 PM)

The only team I'm afraid of trading with is the Rays, because they literally ONLY make deals in which they're completely convinced they've ripped the other team off. Normal GMs are willing to make even exchanges of future and present value based on what they need the most at a given time, and there's no reason at all that they can't be mutually beneficial.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)

I think with Q, the White Sox are determined to trade him and they'll take the best offer they can get, even if it's from the Cubs.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
Jon Morosi @jonmorosi

44s

Sources: #Brewers are prepared to buy at Trade Deadline and have begun background work on Jose Quintana, Sonny Gray and other starters. @MLB

Brewers are the dark horse I've been waiting for.