Quintana

ScootsMcGoots

QUOTE (pablo @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 02:28 PM)
Count me in the "Judge will not hit MLB pitching" club as well. But I am glad to see the kid doing well - he's very easy to root for.

My own opinion, but I would bet the Yankees would have dealt him for Sale or Q in the offseason. I'd assume Sox were asking about Sanchez, Torres, Frazier and Cashman wanted to start further down his prospect list like Mateo or Judge. He rhad a rough go at it last year, and the Yankees were really considering starting him in the minors this season but injuries forced him on the ML roster to start the year. So they didn't seem to be sold on him either.

Oh well...

I was down on Judge too! I'm just waiting this out to see how everything equalizes. The correction will happen, but the power is probably here to stay. He is not a .330 hitter. My guess is he will settle in somewhere between an Adam Dunn and Giancarlo Stanton line--in other words, a modern day, right-handed version of Jim Thome. I would assume with his large frame, we can expect injuries to be peppered in as a factor each year. Like we've seen with Stanton, that injury threat will alter some performance and overall statistical output for stretches of time, but when he's on, he's pretty much as dangerous as they come. The kid is certainly on Cloud 9 right now and believing there's not much he can't do.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)
Judge is a great story, but at some point he's gonna cool off. I kind of doubt he suddenly turned into one of the more prolific power hitters on this side of the steroid era.

I think he's absolutely capable of being one of the more prolific power hitters this side of the steroid era...unless we find out he's juiced. 500+ft HR's don't just happen (unless you're Joe Borchard), let alone with regularity, and he mashed in the minors before coming up. It's the average that seems quite inflated to me.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 03:42 PM)
Judge is a great story, but at some point he's gonna cool off. I kind of doubt he suddenly turned into one of the more prolific power hitters on this side of the steroid era.

There is no way Judge keeps up his .426 BABIP and a 41% HR/FB ratio. I think he is due for major regression. He still could end up being a very good player, but ZIPS/Steamer/Depth Charts all predict him to fall off in the second half.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 03:56 PM)
Even with major regression, Judge will still likely be a very good player. A 200 wRC+ is obviously not going to continue, but a 130-135 wRC+ is quite reasonable and everyone would still be very happy about that production.

My takeaway on Judge, and one I'm trying to avoid with others, is I'm done with player comps defining these young guys.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 03:56 PM)
Even with major regression, Judge will still likely be a very good player. A 200 wRC+ is obviously not going to continue, but a 130-135 wRC+ is quite reasonable and everyone would still be very happy about that production.

Judge likely settles in as being around a .260 - .350 - .525 hitter wRC+ 130

That is still a very good player, but not a total freak like we have seen in the first half.

Man this Q suspense is killing me. Felt like something was brewing with that weird Twins rumor (seems like a leverage leak) and all the talk about the Sox "outrageous asking price" (more posturing).

Then the McGuffey rumor, plus rabbit's statements (here and Twitter), plus WSD putting me on high alert. Sox not announcing starters post-ASB yet isn't helping either.

Anybody think there's any credence to the "no serious news announced on the day of the All Star game" theory? Would seem like an odd reason to hold off.

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 04:17 PM)
Man this Q suspense is killing me. Felt like something was brewing with that weird Twins rumor (seems like a leverage leak) and all the talk about the Sox "outrageous asking price" (more posturing).

Then the McGuffey rumor, plus rabbit's statements (here and Twitter), plus WSD putting me on high alert. Sox not announcing starters post-ASB yet isn't helping either.

Anybody think there's any credence to the "no serious news announced on the day of the All Star game" theory? Would seem like an odd reason to hold off.

Certainly smoke like there has not been for a long time coming today. Keep an eye on what national media guys like Rosenthal are saying. When they start to run with Q smoke then you know things are really heating up.

Tomorrow could be a major news day if a deal gets done. Would be seen as very bad form to overshadow the all star game by announcing a major trade.

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 04:17 PM)

I think there is credence to it. Not that I think something is going to happen ASAP.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 03:45 PM)
I think he's absolutely capable of being one of the more prolific power hitters this side of the steroid era...unless we find out he's juiced. 500+ft HR's don't just happen (unless you're Joe Borchard), let alone with regularity, and he mashed in the minors before coming up. It's the average that seems quite inflated to me.

He didn't mash in the minors anything like he's mashed to this point in the majors.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 04:26 PM)
He didn't mash in the minors anything like he's mashed to this point in the majors.

"Scott Carasik‏

@CarasikS

Follow

More

Braves are pushing hard for Quintana from the White Sox. Large package of prospects looking like what gets deal done.WS want a top 3 org bat"

No source attached, but this is certainly a very interesting development if true...

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 04:28 PM)
"Scott Carasik‏

@CarasikS

Follow

More

Braves are pushing hard for Quintana from the White Sox. Large package of prospects looking like what gets deal done.WS want a top 3 org bat"

No source attached, but this is certainly a very interesting development if true...

Good. I am happy to see them still sticking with the high price tag.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 02:28 PM)
"Scott Carasik‏

@CarasikS

Follow

More

He also said:

"Braves hesitant to part with Maitan, Acuna or Albies, though. Especially the latter as those two should be up at some point in 2018. One more note here: Braves would be most likely to part with Albies as Phillps and Camargo can both play 2B through 2017 and into 2018. And if the Braves trade Albies, it means they could be looking at Demeritte as the long-term option at 2B instead."

Edit: I'd hope for Acuna and Maitan or Albies... as just Albies alone as a headliner isn't enough IMO. But what the hell do I know.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 04:35 PM)
He also said:

"Braves hesitant to part with Maitan, Acuna or Albies, though. Especially the latter as those two should be up at some point in 2018. One more note here: Braves would be most likely to part with Albies as Phillps and Camargo can both play 2B through 2017 and into 2018. And if the Braves trade Albies, it means they could be looking at Demeritte as the long-term option at 2B instead."

Braves are so deep that they could definitely form an attractive trade package for Quintana and not be all that damaged as a result.

Albies/Acuna/Maitan + two or three more prospects would be very attractive

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 04:38 PM)
Braves are so deep that they could definitely form an attractive trade package for Quintana and not be all that damaged as a result.

Albies/Acuna/Maitan + two or three more prospects would be very attractive

The BEST you can hope for there is 2 out of 3. My guess is one of Albies/Acuna is the other limitation.

Tin foil hat time, but maybe Hahn is trying to use the unwritten rule of not overshadowing the all star game to leverage teams by saying we are looking to get this done soon and then putting out all these rumors and telling teams that one team popped and is offering what were asking and that we are going to take it, but are waiting until tomorrow, which gives the other teams time to up their offers.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 04:42 PM)
Tin foil hat time, but maybe Hahn is trying to use the unwritten rule of not overshadowing the all star game to leverage teams by saying we are looking to get this done soon and then putting out all these rumors and telling teams that one team popped and is offering what were asking and that we are going to take it, but are waiting until tomorrow, which gives the other teams time to up their offers.

That would be awful smart of him, especially when you have an event where everyone is in the same town at once. Build a sense of urgency.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)

That doesn't seem too "tin foil hat" to me... it's actually smart thinking.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 02:41 PM)
The BEST you can hope for there is 2 out of 3. My guess is one of Albies/Acuna is the other limitation.

He was saying one of those big three plus other secondary pieces - not all three. His use of / was denoting "or".

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 04:41 PM)

Two out of Maitan/Acuna/Albies?

I would drive Quintana to Atlanta myself if we could land two out of those guys.

Sox getting one of to headline a package of prospects would be compelling.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 04:41 PM)
Also of note, raBBit on twitter just said:

"Yeah I'm leaning towards Q never pitches for Sox again."

This is both exciting and sad at the same time. I didn't really care when they traded Sale. I was one who got a little tired of his act, but Quintana has really been a joy to watch these last few years.

Now, enough of the sentimental thinking...would love a depth package from the Braves. There's just so much to choose from in the 10-25 range to round out a decent haul.