Quintana

ScootsMcGoots

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 02:02 PM)
Hahn and Cashman should go old school- get a bottle of booze, and get a trade done.

Quintana and Robertson are likely not going anywhere until right before the deadline. It is in the White Sox best interest to turn up the heat on suitors and have them get into a bidding war.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
Quintana and Robertson are likely not going anywhere until right before the deadline. It is in the White Sox best interest to turn up the heat on suitors and have them get into a bidding war.

I'll use a different color or use an emoji next time.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 12:03 PM)

I don't agree with this bidding war notion.

As I said before, the trade market doesn't work like a normal commodities market, where things are transparent and information is widely available. It isn't as though Hahn is going to be auctioning these guys off at 6 pm on the 31st or something.

He needs to be working with serious suitors to get deals done that make sense for the future. It is very unlikely that he is going to finally get to that place with one team, and then call the others and tell them "Cashman has offered this, can you beat it?" He's going to field calls from all interested parties, and let them know what the price is. If someone wants to meet it, they will (or something close). Also, keep in mind, these discussions have been ongoing for like 6 months now. The groundwork has been laid.

Now we just wait until the heat gets turned up on someone enough that they become serious about meeting Hahn's prices.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 12:22 PM)
Acuna is untouchable IMO

I think you are probably right, but I do think they would be willing to move Maitan considering he's so far away and they will be set in the MI for awhile.

I don't think we'd have much interest in Albies, which leaves us to insist on Acuna or Maitan, the latter being who the Braves will need to decide whether they like Q enough to move him. Then you are probably asking for Allard or Newcomb. Then maybe a few guys like Pache and Jackson?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)

As I said before, the trade market doesn't work like a normal commodities market, where things are transparent and information is widely available. It isn't as though Hahn is going to be auctioning these guys off at 6 pm on the 31st or something.

He needs to be working with serious suitors to get deals done that make sense for the future. It is very unlikely that he is going to finally get to that place with one team, and then call the others and tell them "Cashman has offered this, can you beat it?" He's going to field calls from all interested parties, and let them know what the price is. If someone wants to meet it, they will (or something close). Also, keep in mind, these discussions have been ongoing for like 6 months now. The groundwork has been laid.

Now we just wait until the heat gets turned up on someone enough that they become serious about meeting Hahn's prices.

I agree with what you are saying, but I did not mean a literal auction. Moreso for the Sox to be very engaging in trade dialogue and leveraging suitors against one another.

Groundwork may have be laid, but certain players may not have been available in previous discussions that are now due to playoff pressure, injuries, etc.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 02:29 PM)
I think you are probably right, but I do think they would be willing to move Maitan considering he's so far away and they will be set in the MI for awhile.

I don't think we'd have much interest in Albies, which leaves us to insist on Acuna or Maitan, the latter being who the Braves will need to decide whether they like Q enough to move him. Then you are probably asking for Allard or Newcomb. Then maybe a few guys like Pache and Jackson?

I certainly would be interested in Albies. He has reached AAA at age 20 and is excellent defensively. A .759 OPS considering his age and level is very good.

Acuna and Maitan are likely considered untouchable by the Braves at this point.

Pache has really raised his prospect stock and would be an excellent pick up. I don't think the Braves trade him as a third or fourth piece in a deal.

Acuna or Maitan + Allard or Newcomb + Pache + Jackson would be an enormous haul for the White Sox that is not happening

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 02:32 PM)
To me his value is lower in the off-season then it is at the deadline.

Eh. Difference between 3 years and 3.5 years is negligible. As you saw with the Sale return, teams are only willing to trade so much talent for 1 player. I think the offers will be about the same now as they will be in the offseason. The fact that Q has been pretty mediocre this year just makes it more likely that a good few months to end the 17 season may boost his value from its current state.

Using the Sale trade as an example, I am pretty sure Moncada would not have been on the table last July, but perhaps Benintendi would have been. Some teams won't move certain guys during the season that they more be more amenable to moving in the offseason. It just depends on the situation.

If the Sox get the deal they want for Q this July, they'll move him. If they don't, they'll hold onto him (as they should) for now. Its really that simple.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)

I agree with all of this. It's nice to draw parallels to stocks/commodities, etc., but the comparison only goes so far. After all, players don't have the same universally accepted value as currency. The Sox need to find a great value (in their estimation) and a great match for their organizational needs. Most of the ground work is probably already laid as you said.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 12:42 PM)
I certainly would be interested in Albies. He has reached AAA at age 20 and is excellent defensively. A .759 OPS considering his age and level is very good.

Pache has really raised his prospect stock and would be an excellent pick up. I don't think the Braves trade him as a third or fourth piece in a deal.

Acuna or Maitan + Allard or Newcomb + Pache + Jackson would be an enormous haul for the White Sox that is not happening

I just don't see Albies doing much for us right now considering TA's extension and Sanchez playing well, not to mention Moncada, obviously.

I agree on Acuna.

Assuming we may want to make the headlining piece a position player, it basically has to be Maitan.

I'd also like a LH starting arm. Maybe we take Fried back if they think Maitan and Allard or Newcomb is too top heavy?

I do want Pache though...maybe you settle for Maitan/Pache/Jackson?

Edited by iamshack

What is so exciting about Pache? Obviously he is young, and looks like a nice talent. But his low A ball numbers are fairly pedestrian for an OF, and seems like an awful like way away. As the 3rd or 4th piece? Sure. But thats what I'd be looking at him as.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 02:44 PM)
Eh. Difference between 3 years and 3.5 years is negligible. As you saw with the Sale return, teams are only willing to trade so much talent for 1 player. I think the offers will be about the same now as they will be in the offseason. The fact that Q has been pretty mediocre this year just makes it more likely that a good few months to end the 17 season may boost his value from its current state.

Using the Sale trade as an example, I am pretty sure Moncada would not have been on the table last July, but perhaps Benintendi would have been. Some teams won't move certain guys during the season that they more be more amenable to moving in the offseason. It just depends on the situation.

If the Sox get the deal they want for Q this July, they'll move him. If they don't, they'll hold onto him (as they should) for now. Its really that simple.

But a team gets him for a playoff run plus a full season, that has to be more valuable. I don't think we will get much more but I do think you will have some teams more desperate now then in the off-season.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:00 PM)
What is so exciting about Pache? Obviously he is young, and looks like a nice talent. But his low A ball numbers are fairly pedestrian for an OF, and seems like an awful like way away. As the 3rd or 4th piece? Sure. But thats what I'd be looking at him as.

http://notesfromthesally.com/2017/04/27/my...cf-rome-braves/

This very recent scouting report ranks Pache as the 3rd best prospect in the Sally league right now.

"Conclusion: Pache is an exciting young player with 5 loud tools on display. We could be looking at a player with the potential to hit 280+, with power in the teens and 25+ SB. With well above average CF defense. That’s a very exciting player."

You have to remember, Pache is only 18 years old until November and is batting .295 in low A ball against much older competition.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:05 PM)
But a team gets him for a playoff run plus a full season, that has to be more valuable. I don't think we will get much more but I do think you will have some teams more desperate now then in the off-season.

I dont think Hahn's asking price is going to be any different in 6 months than it is now. That is really all that matters.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 01:12 PM)
http://notesfromthesally.com/2017/04/27/my...cf-rome-braves/

This very recent scouting report ranks Pache as the 3rd best prospect in the Sally league right now.

"Conclusion: Pache is an exciting young player with 5 loud tools on display. We could be looking at a player with the potential to hit 280+, with power in the teens and 25+ SB. With well above average CF defense. That’s a very exciting player."

You have to remember, Pache is only 18 years old until November and is batting .295 in low A ball against much older competition.

So bottom line, are you suggesting he needs to be the second piece, or that he is too valuable to be the second piece?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:14 PM)
So bottom line, are you suggesting he needs to be the second piece, or that he is too valuable to be the second piece?

If he is the main piece of Q trade, Q isn't going to the Braves.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:14 PM)

I'm not necessarily suggesting that he needs to be any piece per se. Just that he is a guy we should expect to be cropping up in top 100 lists as having the potential to be a .285 batting average, 15 home run, elite defensive center fielder with plus speed.

He would be a great third piece, although he has likely risen his stock too high to be a third player in a major trade is what I meant.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)

I've mentioned it before, but there's a lot about Albies game reminds me of Yolmer Sanchez. Sanchez appears to be a pretty decent player, but do you want a slightly better version of him being the main piece you acquire in return for Quintana? I'm really not a big fan.