Why all the bunting? And state of team...

caulfield12

I think I figured it out tonight.

Renteria simply wants all the young players to buy into the concept of sacrificing for each other...always trying to advance the runner (Did you do your job or not?) and moving the line one batter at a time. Could be a one run lead, or 3-5 runs like tonight. Team over individual results, camaraderie, chemistry, etc. They seem to be buying into Steverson's approach now as well, they're working together instead of going up to the plate without a plan of what they're trying to accomplish like for much of the Ventura regime.

Realistically, this team should be 2 games under .500, but we've been killed by our defense and all those unearned runs and mostly plays not made (double plays not finished, for example.) Going forward, that's the biggest concern organizationally (along with OBP and starting pitching development), and removing Melky Cabrera from the roster will be a first big step in the right direction.

In my idea, it feels like we're trying to create a hybrid of the Cubs, Indians and Royals.

Future elite pen. Check.

Speed and athleticism. Check. Moncada, Robert, Adolfo, Engel, Tim Anderson, Leury, Yolmer Sanchez, Willy Garcia, Saladino, Hanson.

OBP/contact...addressed last two drafts, hopefully.

Defense, ummmm....not yet.

Versatility...the examples are guys like Jose Ramirez, Josh Harrison, Zobrist, Baez, Whit Merrifield. The Sox players above have many of these qualities already, particularly Leury, but Moncada and Anderson should as well.

(Of course, in this lively ball era, you also can't afford to carry a guy like Tilson who has no power playing 81 home games at Guaranteed Rate.)

In the end, I don't think we're as far off as some here. This is a .500 team in 2018, quite easily. Get the best possible draft pick for 2018, but don't go out of the way to hold players back if they're truly ready. If for no other reason than Detroit and KC being terrible next year, and that representing nearly 40% of the schedule.

They might need an anchor for their defense during this transition period. Unsurprisingly, I would pick Dyson (cheaper version) or Cain on three year deals and change the team's mindset by having an elite defender with World Series experience in CF. At any rate, by this October 1st they'll know a lot more about what they have in Engel and Leury. Maybe they logically then decide those guys are good enough to be part of the long-term plan and no further move is needed.

Somehow, they also need to convince Abreu or Avi to DH. That potentially gives Asche and Delmonico a shot at first. Maybe Avi's traded?

Then they eventually need to find an elite defender at catcher to back up Collins 2-3 years from now...trade deadline, someone like Severino with the Nats. Offense isn't as critical if Collins realizes his potential.

LF Engel/W.Garcia/Asche

CF Leury Garcia/Engel

RF Willy Garcia/Asche/Hanson

3B Davidson/Y. Sanchez

SS Anderson/L.Garcia

2B Moncada/Yolmer/Hanson

1B Avi Garcia/Davidson

DH Abreu

This would block Delmonico and Saladino, but dramatically improve the overall defense...perhaps Saladino stays and Hanson goes? You'd have three CFers in the outfield (well, Willy's pushing it). Avi's a lot more athletic than Abreu, but obviously that idea might not work. Certainly a good sized target over there, though.

Edited by caulfield12

Good work. The 2nd half I'd like to see more straight steal attempts especially with 2 outs from Anderson, Hanson, Leury especially ( Sanchez not so much ) I mean it's a rebuild year let them take their base stealing lumps now . They may even learn a few things.. Moncada whenever he comes up. That's a lot of speed and each guy should be capable of the 75% minimum steal rate. There's no reason the Sox as a team can't steal more than 100 bases .

I know the steal is #2 to the bunt in ancient baseball tactics but it can get that extra base or 2 without giving up the out.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 07:32 AM)
Good work. The 2nd half I'd like to see more straight steal attempts especially with 2 outs from Anderson, Hanson, Leury especially ( Sanchez not so much ) I mean it's a rebuild year let them take their base stealing lumps now . They may even learn a few things.. Moncada whenever he comes up. That's a lot of speed and each guy should be capable of the 75% minimum steal rate. There's no reason the Sox as a team can't steal more than 100 bases .

I know the steal is #2 to the bunt in ancient baseball tactics but it can get that extra base or 2 without giving up the out.

The one weapon KC had that was unstoppable was Dyson or Gore pinch running late in a close game. It was almost an automatic run with 0 or 1 out. At least against the Sox.

That's the primary reason I want Dyson...because he will be cheaper (than Cain), can play all three spots and his age (32 next year) and overall wear and tear will depress his value somewhat despite the fact he will be a 3-5 fWAR player by the end of this year. We haven't had that type of threat since Pods in the first half of 2005 before he got injured. The rest of the team can follow his cue, and foster an aggressive baserunning mentality for Moncada, Leury, Hanson, Engel, Anderson, etc.

We will never have the high contact rates, nor a team of Gold Glovers, but the other area is the lockdown bullpen. Hochevar, Herrera, Wade Davis and Holland, paired with Collins as the lefty, that was a nasty pen in 2014/15. Hopefully Kahnle, Jones, Burdi, Beck, Fulmer and maybe Lopez/Guerrero/Adams/Danish can have a similar amount of success in 1-2 inning bursts.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 08:38 AM)
I think I figured it out tonight.

Renteria simply wants all the young players to buy into the concept of sacrificing for each other...always trying to advance the runner (Did you do your job or not?) and moving the line one batter at a time. Could be a one run lead, or 3-5 runs like tonight. Team over individual results, camaraderie, chemistry, etc. They seem to be buying into Steverson's approach now as well, they're working together instead of going up to the plate without a plan of what they're trying to accomplish like for much of the Ventura regime.

Realistically, this team should be 2 games under .500, but we've been killed by our defense and all those unearned runs and mostly plays not made (double plays not finished, for example.) Going forward, that's the biggest concern organizationally (along with OBP and starting pitching development), and removing Melky Cabrera from the roster will be a first big step in the right direction.

In my idea, it feels like we're trying to create a hybrid of the Cubs, Indians and Royals.

Future elite pen. Check.

Speed and athleticism. Check. Moncada, Robert, Adolfo, Engel, Tim Anderson, Leury, Yolmer Sanchez, Willy Garcia, Saladino, Hanson.

OBP/contact...addressed last two drafts, hopefully.

Defense, ummmm....not yet.

Versatility...the examples are guys like Jose Ramirez, Josh Harrison, Zobrist, Baez, Whit Merrifield. The Sox players above have many of these qualities already, particularly Leury, but Moncada and Anderson should as well.

(Of course, in this lively ball era, you also can't afford to carry a guy like Tilson who has no power playing 81 home games at Guaranteed Rate.)

In the end, I don't think we're as far off as some here. This is a .500 team in 2018, quite easily. Get the best possible draft pick for 2018, but don't go out of the way to hold players back if they're truly ready. If for no other reason than Detroit and KC being terrible next year, and that representing nearly 40% of the schedule.

They might need an anchor for their defense during this transition period. Unsurprisingly, I would pick Dyson (cheaper version) or Cain on three year deals and change the team's mindset by having an elite defender with World Series experience in CF. At any rate, by this October 1st they'll know a lot more about what they have in Engel and Leury. Maybe they logically then decide those guys are good enough to be part of the long-term plan and no further move is needed.

Somehow, they also need to convince Abreu or Avi to DH. That potentially gives Asche and Delmonico a shot at first. Maybe Avi's traded?

Then they eventually need to find an elite defender at catcher to back up Collins 2-3 years from now...trade deadline, someone like Severino with the Nats. Offense isn't as critical if Collins realizes his potential.

LF Engel/W.Garcia/Asche

CF Leury Garcia/Engel

RF Willy Garcia/Asche/Hanson

3B Davidson/Y. Sanchez

SS Anderson/L.Garcia

2B Moncada/Yolmer/Hanson

1B Avi Garcia/Davidson

DH Abreu

This would block Delmonico and Saladino, but dramatically improve the overall defense...perhaps Saladino stays and Hanson goes? You'd have three CFers in the outfield (well, Willy's pushing it). Avi's a lot more athletic than Abreu, but obviously that idea might not work. Certainly a good sized target over there, though.

Caulfield I am very surprised you think a team without Q could possibly sniff .500 next year. The rotation promises to be one of the worst in Sox history and without Robertson there will be a new, likely unreliable closer. As well as defense. You just skipped over the pathetic defense. Finally in terms of your lineup, the infield defense will be one of the worst in team history of the players you listed. Also the verdict is still out on Anderson at a key position, ss. If Moncada is a sieve we are extremely weak up the middle. Your outfield is laugably bad, again one of the worstin team history with Willy, Leury and Engel. .500? What are u thinking today on the 4th? In summation, horrible rotation, horrible defense, incredibly soft hitting outfield. I'd say worse team in baseball by far unless somehow Moncada, Avi, Abreu and Anderson are all all-star hitters. Even then the pitching would doom your team to a horrific record.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 02:59 PM)
I think you're reading too much into it. He calls for bunts because he thinks that's the best way of scoring runs. He is wrong and it is something that needs to be corrected for when this team is in contention.

I loved your long post but I would agree with Magee. It does appear Renteria is trying to win games and he thinks these bunts help score pivotal runs. I agree with Feeky he's wrong. Your theory doesn't seem Renteria-like as some big picture thing.

LF Moncada

CF Leury Garcia/Engel

RF Avi Garcia

3B Davidson/Moncada

SS Anderson/Saladino

2B Yolmer Sanchez

1B Abreu

Catcher - Smith/Narvaez

Hard to predict a future line-up when we don't know who might be traded or acquired.

Moncada has to switch to third base or outfield if he wants to help this team. Yolmer is far superior on defense and the Sox cannot afford to sacrifice that by putting Moncada at second.

The Sox are not going to give up on Anderson as a shortstop. Pencil him in at SS for 2018.

Although unless they're ready to give Leury everyday CF play, Yoan's value is highest in CF.

That said, Engel and Leury are miles ahead of Moncada now (defensively), and elite defense from him is hard to project. Maybe he won't have good instincts/quick jumps/proper routes. Seems injury risk in CF is higher as well.