Who will be the first player traded?

GGajewski18

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the first player traded?

• David Robertson
    • Jose Quintana
    • Todd Frazier
    • Tommy Kahnle
    • Anthony Swarzak
    • Melky Cabrera
    • Avisail Garcia
    • Derek Holland
    • James Shields
    • Jose Abreu

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really care about the upcoming 2 trades but I will say this. Robertson and Q are the keys to two teams' seasons. If the Royals acquired Robertson, they would win the WS again. Royals move their current closer to the 8th and Robertson the ninth and cover the seventh with whomever. Cubs win the WS with Q. He's a perfect fit. he'd stay in Chicago, be comfy and be perfect for that club.

Neither will happen, but just saying. If we truly want to fleece somebody and get some prospects I'd trade Q to the Cubs for 4 prospects and Robertson to the ROyals for Bubba Starling and 2-3 others. Maybe Mondesi.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 09:48 PM)
I don't really care about the upcoming 2 trades but I will say this. Robertson and Q are the keys to two teams' seasons. If the Royals acquired Robertson, they would win the WS again. Royals move their current closer to the 8th and Robertson the ninth and cover the seventh with whomever. Cubs win the WS with Q. He's a perfect fit. he'd stay in Chicago, be comfy and be perfect for that club.

Neither will happen, but just saying. If we truly want to fleece somebody and get some prospects I'd trade Q to the Cubs for 4 prospects and Robertson to the ROyals for Bubba Starling and 2-3 others. Maybe Mondesi.

Jerry would die by rage if the Sox handed the Cubs a world series.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 05:36 AM)
Jerry would die by rage if the Sox handed the Cubs a world series.

The Cubs already won one. That was the unthinkable. it doesn't matter how many they win now. Q would help them IMO get their act together. they are going to win that division. Q would be the spark they need and they could give us 3-4 GREAT prospects that help us. We give them a division title and likely repeat WS and they re-boost our team's future.

Bubba Starling had 478 and now 687 ops numbers the last two go-arounds in AAA.

No thanks. 30% k rate, only 20 walks in 400+ at bats and just 8 homers.

No, no, no.

At any rate, the Royals and Twins could really use some help, but that's even more illogical than dealing with the Cubs unless you're talking guys like Frazier, Cabrera, Swarzak and perhaps Robertson (a lot of money would have to change hands and a big time prospect would have to go to the Sox in return since those clubs are financially strapped.)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 02:20 PM)
Why would anybody want Melky or Frazier? Seriously. The relievers everybody's high on will not bring back much. Relievers who are not closers don't bring back much. Who is the Sox projected closer anyway once we deal David? We have to keep somebody so we'll keep Swarzik and Kahnle since they won't bring back anything of note. I don't think Jerry has bought into the losing every game thing has he?

Todd and Melky are both playing well right now . If some one needs a left handed

bat, they could do a lot worse. The added benefit for the WS is a boost in the "Tank for Beer"

sweep stakes.

I

Edited by zisk

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
Tier 1: Could go quick and will almost assuredly go for decent return - Frazier/Robertson

Tier 2: Could go at any point for a song - Holland/Pelfrey

Tier 3: Productive but expect a lack of interest/return given performance - Swarzak/Melky

Tier 4: Return dependent - Q/Kahnle

Past that, it'd be a shock to see them move Avi. Jennings could but isn't all that interesting.

There's really 8 guys. Hopefully the Sox trade 5-6 of them.

Define song please :lol:

And you don't think Swarzak could net an organizational top 25 prospect?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
Tier 1: Could go quick and will almost assuredly go for decent return - Frazier/Robertson

Tier 2: Could go at any point for a song - Holland/Pelfrey

Tier 3: Productive but expect a lack of interest/return given performance - Swarzak/Melky

Tier 4: Return dependent - Q/Kahnle

Past that, it'd be a shock to see them move Avi. Jennings could but isn't all that interesting.

There's really 8 guys. Hopefully the Sox trade 5-6 of them.

It ought to be interesting. They have a ton of guys who need to go (aka anyone who is a free agent after this season), but none of them are nearly as valuable as guys like Avi, Q, and Robertson who have some contract value built in. I think they guys in category 1/2/3 should be easier to get deals done for (except for Robertson). Q is someone that teams have had a price tag on for a year now, so that should be something where as soon as someone wants to pay up, a deal is done.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
Song=crap. Flawed player with little likelihood of being MLB guy.

That's not off the table at all for Swarzak. The guy has performed very strongly though. I think his lack of track record will bog him down despite a great 2017.

If all you're getting back for Swarzak is a Tilson type of prospect or worse (aka, one you know won't ever be a starter or big contributor), then keep him and re-sign him to a 3 year extension. To move him for the sake of moving him, if nothing really is coming back...what's the point?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
Song=crap. Flawed player with little likelihood of being MLB guy.

That's not off the table at all for Swarzak. The guy has performed very strongly though. I think his lack of track record will bog him down despite a great 2017.

Swarzak has quietly put up an excellent season in relief for the White Sox and has not given up an earned run since May 17th. He could be a under the radar addition for a team that needs bullpen help at a reasonable cost.

Swarzak has pitched really well and the peripherals back him up. I think a Tilson-type return or slightly better is likely but that's not bad at all. People forget Tilton was a solid prospect because of the brutal luck with injuries. Likely 4th OF but the speed to maybe make it work as a regular in CF.

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 12:47 PM)
Swarzak has pitched really well and the peripherals back him up. I think a Tilson-type return or slightly better is likely but that's not bad at all. People forget Tilton was a solid prospect because of the brutal luck with injuries. Likely 4th OF but the speed to maybe make it work as a regular in CF.

See to me, a likely 4th outfielder is way less valuable than a bullpen arm that puts fires out. So why trade a guy for someone who's likely potential is as a lesser player than what you're giving up.

In Swarzak's case (and I'm guess ing here), he probably hasn't been paid ever and would likely jump at it if you offer him a 3 year extension for a pretty cheap number. It could end up being a super bargain for the White Sox.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 12:51 PM)
See to me, a likely 4th outfielder is way less valuable than a bullpen arm that puts fires out. So why trade a guy for someone who's likely potential is as a lesser player than what you're giving up.

In Swarzak's case (and I'm guess ing here), he probably hasn't been paid ever and would likely jump at it if you offer him a 3 year extension for a pretty cheap number. It could end up being a super bargain for the White Sox.

Dude is a free agent is 3 months. He is no hurry to sign anything right now. He is another one who gets dumped off to the highest bidder by July 31st.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)
Dude is a free agent is 3 months. He is no hurry to sign anything right now. He is another one who gets dumped off to the highest bidder by July 31st.

I don't think it's as easy as you're saying. What happens if he starts getting shelled in July and August and nobody wants him this winter? You can sign him to a deal and he's set for life. We shouldn't underestimate how important that is to a person. I think we just saw that very thing in action when TA signed that 6 year deal against his agent's advice.

And for trading - yeah if you get a decent offer, take it. But it needs to be an asset that has a chance to mean something someday, even if it's somewhat of a longshot.

Going back to Tilson. When the Tilson deal happened, Cardinal fans were all like - who cares, his ceiling is as a 4th outfielder. It's basically like giving up nothing. That's all I'm saying we should avoid. You can sign 4th outfielders for pennies on the dollar as free agents.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 01:17 PM)
I don't think it's as easy as you're saying. What happens if he starts getting shelled in July and August and nobody wants him this winter? You can sign him to a deal and he's set for life. We shouldn't underestimate how important that is to a person. I think we just saw that very thing in action when TA signed that 6 year deal against his agent's advice.

And for trading - yeah if you get a decent offer, take it. But it needs to be an asset that has a chance to mean something someday, even if it's somewhat of a longshot.

Going back to Tilson. When the Tilson deal happened, Cardinal fans were all like - who cares, his ceiling is as a 4th outfielder. It's basically like giving up nothing. That's all I'm saying we should avoid. You can sign 4th outfielders for pennies on the dollar as free agents.

If a player has that little confidence in themselves right before free agency, that would be a huge red flag to me. Besides that, with the amount of arms in the system, versus when this team can be expected to compete again, I have no real interest in signing Swarzak to an extension anyway. Trade him to the highest bidder by July 31, and add that to our minor league system. Count Swarzak as a victory as we turned a scrap heap signing into a young player.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 01:28 PM)
If a player has that little confidence in themselves right before free agency, that would be a huge red flag to me. Besides that, with the amount of arms in the system, versus when this team can be expected to compete again, I have no real interest in signing Swarzak to an extension anyway. Trade him to the highest bidder by July 31, and add that to our minor league system. Count Swarzak as a victory as we turned a scrap heap signing into a young player.

I didn't even mention that he could get injured, which is out of his control and happens at an alarming rate to pitchers unfortunately. Again, if you get a useful player back then ok.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 01:31 PM)
I didn't even mention that he could get injured, which is out of his control and happens at an alarming rate to pitchers unfortunately. Again, if you get a useful player back then ok.

He could get injured, which is another great reason to not offer an extension.

Honestly I have no idea what to think of how teams will value Swarzak. He is a pending free agent, but he also has a 5 year history of being pretty awful. The things that jumped out at me in his numbers is that his swing and miss rate has pretty much doubled in the last year, while his HR/9 has gone down about 90%. I get that he has gained some velocity (almost 1mph on his FB, flat on his slider), but I am sure not willing to bet a few years of a contract on that being sustainable for that amount of time. I wonder if the rest of MLB is either.

For the record - I was thinking of something along the lines of 3 years for 7 mil. That would be $2.33 mil per. To me that sets him for life, and at the same time is minimal risk from the White Sox end. But yeah, trade him if someone offers something decent up.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
For the record - I was thinking of something along the lines of 3 years for 7 mil. That would be $2.33 mil per. To me that sets him for life, and at the same time is minimal risk from the White Sox end. But yeah, trade him if someone offers something decent up.

I don't see any way he would agree to such a small amount lol

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 01:45 PM)
I don't see any way he would agree to such a small amount lol

He's on the wrong side of 30 and still pretty unlikely to get any significant contract extension in free agency. Has he earned himself a decent one year deal somewhere? Probably, but I don't see a 2-3 year agreement being on the table.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)

Even with his horrible numbers, he has managed to pull down $900k or more each of the last three seasons. Being 3 months from free agency, I am not sure the incentive for him to sign would be enough