Todd and Melky

zisk

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 07:43 PM)
Kinda funny...I live in Fort Wayne and Tatis plays here for the TinCaps. They played an afternoon game today at home and the highlight on the 5:00 local news was Tatis drilling a triple off the right center field wall--right off the sponsored billboard that I designed for the small business I work for here in the Fort. I took it as a personal attack reminder of how good he is and how bad that trade was! He does look real good, but then again, Rymer Liriano was the last "greatest thing" to hit here...and well...you know him...

I'm in Ft Wayne as well and I know what you mean. Well, sorta. He's not launched any personal attacks on me, but it's not been fun seeing what could have been a solid Sox prospect playing in my backyard everyday. Especially when I've been watching the guy he got traded for implode every 5 days.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to think that Melky could fetch a little bit more than people think. He is a rental, so whichever team were to acquire him would only have to pay him for the remainder of the season. I would think that any AL contending team would like to plug him in the lineup.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 07:43 PM)
Kinda funny...I live in Fort Wayne and Tatis plays here for the TinCaps. They played an afternoon game today at home and the highlight on the 5:00 local news was Tatis drilling a triple off the right center field wall--right off the sponsored billboard that I designed for the small business I work for here in the Fort. I took it as a personal attack reminder of how good he is and how bad that trade was! He does look real good, but then again, Rymer Liriano was the last "greatest thing" to hit here...and well...you know him...

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 07:58 AM)
I'm in Ft Wayne as well and I know what you mean. Well, sorta. He's not launched any personal attacks on me, but it's not been fun seeing what could have been a solid Sox prospect playing in my backyard everyday. Especially when I've been watching the guy he got traded for implode every 5 days.

I'm sorry...

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 06:58 AM)

Haha! I MAY have been a little over-dramatic with the personal attack thing...either way...I feel your pain, neighbor!

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
I fully expect Frazier being to traded to the Red Sox in the coming days. I just don't see Dombrowski playing poker with us when Todd is the best available 3B out there. I'm also sticking with my prediction that C.J. Chatham will be the return.

The Josh Donaldson watch is on too...but I think Frazier is more likely than an intra-division deal involving Donaldson.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 10:56 AM)
That DFA opens the door to Frazier, in my opinion.

I mentioned this in another thread, but how about something like Frazier for Sandoval, a ton of cash (say 2/3 of his remaining contract) and a guy like Dalbec or Chavis at the top of a deal? It would save the Red Sox about $20 milllion and probably up the return on Frazier.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)
And being nearly two and a half years older...

See, we keep coming back to that, but how much baseball experience do they both have? Micker lost like a year and a half due to injury. In baseball terms, how old are they? If anything, Adolfo may be a year older.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
I mentioned this in another thread, but how about something like Frazier for Sandoval, a ton of cash (say 2/3 of his remaining contract) and a guy like Dalbec or Chavis at the top of a deal? It would save the Red Sox about $20 milllion and probably up the return on Frazier.

How do the luxury tax implications work if the White Sox pick up some of that money? If that pushes the Red Sox beneath the tax level then that's a much bigger difference maker, but if that doesn't change the amount viewed for the tax level then the value of picking up the funds goes down.

Edit: The BoSox opening day payroll was estimated at $200 mil and the tax level is estimated to be $195 mil this year. Boston is in the multi-year repeater area if they pay over the tax line, so every dollar above that tax line is going to be hit by 40% if I'm reading this right.

If they could get themselves down below the line somehow, doing so could be worth an additional $20 million on top of whatever the other team picks up over the next few years.

On the other hand, if they simply picked up Frazier without dropping salary, they'd be picking up $5 million of his remaining payroll and have to pay about an extra $2 million in tax for that one trade.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
How do the luxury tax implications work if the White Sox pick up some of that money? If that pushes the Red Sox beneath the tax level then that's a much bigger difference maker, but if that doesn't change the amount viewed for the tax level then the value of picking up the funds goes down.

The White Sox payroll is going to be so low the next 2 years I don't think taking on most of Sandoval's money will really matter at all. Not an argument to go ahead and do it. Only if the Red Sox offered up something worth adding to make it worth our time.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)
The White Sox payroll is going to be so low the next 2 years I don't think taking on most of Sandoval's money will really matter at all. Not an argument to go ahead and do it. Only if the Red Sox offered up something worth adding to make it worth our time.

Not quite what I was asking - I want to know if the White Sox pick up $15 million of Sandoval's salary this year, in 2017, and that drops the Red Sox payroll by $15 million (then they add Frazier), does that set of trades drop the Red Sox below the luxury tax level or is there some funny rule in there about teams picking up salary in trades and it having to be averaged out over the deal? Because if the Red Sox get under the tax 1 year and can get out of the multi-year repeater penalty, that's an extra $15 million+ we could hand them as a present from the Baseball Front Office.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)
Why should the White Sox pick up any of Sandoval's money? That's Boston's problem. No one is going to help them out there.

If they want to give me an extra player to pick up some of that...and it gets them below the tax level...that's creative GMing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)
Why should the White Sox pick up any of Sandoval's money? That's Boston's problem. No one is going to help them out there.

If it were to get them a decent prospect that is a help to the White Sox as well.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
Jay Groome please.

Frazier For Sandoval & Groome (+throwin or two somewhere?) and the Red Sox pick up Sandoval's 2018 and 2019 dollars entirely. Gets the Red Sox their 3b, cuts $12.5 million off their 2017 payroll, should drop them below the tax level and thus out of the multi-year penalty.

Does that work? All I don't know is if there is some version of the money the White Sox pick up being spread across the length of the deal when the tax level is calculated.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
Frazier For Sandoval & Groome (+throwin or two somewhere?) and the Red Sox pick up Sandoval's 2018 and 2019 dollars entirely. Gets the Red Sox their 3b, cuts $12.5 million off their 2017 payroll, should drop them below the tax level and thus out of the multi-year penalty.

Does that work? All I don't know is if there is some version of the money the White Sox pick up being spread across the length of the deal when the tax level is calculated.

I'm not sure the Red Sox would do that deal. It would have to be the White Sox eating the money to get Groome + other interesting prospects.