Todd and Melky

zisk

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:28 PM)
If it were to get them a decent prospect that is a help to the White Sox as well.

Prospects that cost 8 figures better be good. Not some 18 year old kid in A ball with a 6 ERA, who may be a stud one day.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)
Why should the White Sox pick up any of Sandoval's money? That's Boston's problem. No one is going to help them out there.

If it gets us more/better prospects, do it. Exact type of move we should be doing for the next couple years while rebuilding & have no payroll.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:36 PM)
Prospects that costs 8 figures better be good. Not some 18 year old kid in A ball with a 6 ERA

*in 3 starts

edit- 6 total starts between 2 levels, allowed 9 runs in first start, and in next 5 starts (between low A and A) has allowed 5.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)
I'm not sure the Red Sox would do that deal. It would have to be the White Sox eating the money to get Groome + other interesting prospects.

As written I would have the White Sox picking up the 2017 salary entirely, thus getting the Red Sox below the 2017 tax level and taking them out of the multi-year penalty before the 2018 class.

Prospects that costs 8 figures better be good. Not some 18 year old kid in A ball with a 6 ERA, who may be a stud one day.

If the cost to the White Sox was $12 million - that's a good but not great signing bonus for an 18 year old if they were FAs.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:36 PM)
If it gets us more/better prospects, do it. Exact type of move we should be doing for the next couple years while rebuilding & have no payroll.

It's the Browns/Texans Ostweiler deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:38 PM)
If the cost to the White Sox was $12 million - that's a good but not great signing bonus for an 18 year old if they were FAs.

Scott Boras wants your resume.

That is more than any slot in the draft, and higher than any teams' total international pool. So, as I wrote, the prospect better be special. 18 years olds aren't getting that money. Robert was the last one.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)
That is more than any slot in the draft, and higher than any teams' total international pool. So, as I wrote, the prospect better be special.

But in each of those cases you're talking about a price limited by MLB rules/draft slotting. I would certainly pay $12 million for a top 50 prospect. We literally just paid what, 3x that for Robert, and that was under rules with those penalties?

The neat thing here is that we could get MLB to chip in about $20 million of the value, give or take what the Red Sox did in future FA years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:44 PM)
But in each of those cases you're talking about a price limited by MLB rules/draft slotting. I would certainly pay $12 million for a top 50 prospect. We literally just paid what, 3x that for Robert, and that was under rules with those penalties?

The neat thing here is that we could get MLB to chip in about $20 million of the value, give or take what the Red Sox did in future FA years.

Is Jay Groome currently a top 50 prospect? That was the trade you proposed.

Them DFA'ing Sandoval may be a sign they are willing to make a move, but I've heard they really like Tzu-Wei Lin, whom they called up not too long ago. Don't know how much stock I put into that though. Frazier would benefit them well.

QUOTE (Soxnfins @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)
Them DFA'ing Sandoval may be a sign they are willing to make a move, but I've heard they really like Tzu-Wei Lin, whom they called up not too long ago. Don't know how much stock I put into that though. Frazier would benefit them well.

Their top prospect Rafael Devers is a 3B, and was just promoted to AAA 2 hours ago.

Prospects that cost 8 figures better be good. Not some 18 year old kid in A ball with a 6 ERA, who may be a stud one day.

The way I figure, it won't get them Devers or Groome, but somebody in that next group of players. Dalbec and Chavis came to mind for me.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)
Scott Boras wants your resume.

That is more than any slot in the draft, and higher than any teams' total international pool. So, as I wrote, the prospect better be special. 18 years olds aren't getting that money. Robert was the last one.

It is half (or 1/4 in total cost) of what Robert got, which is a pretty solid number.

BTW, the Red Sox are currently under the luxury tax threshold and according to this, can add about $9 million before going over.

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/red-sox/po...ing-stretch-run

If you are eating money with them, forget Panda, he's done. Do it with a guy who still may have a shot and they have no room for Rusney Castillo. But I wouldn't even do that.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)
BTW, the Red Sox are currently under the luxury tax threshold and according to this, can add about $9 million before going over.

If you are eating money with them, forget Panda, he's done. Do it with a guy who still may have a shot and they have no room for Rusney Castillo.

It isn't about Sandoval, it is about being creative to get another prospect into the system after the White Sox have used up all of their greatest trade chips.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)

If you are eating money with them, forget Panda, he's done. Do it with a guy who still may have a shot and they have no room for Rusney Castillo. But I wouldn't even do that.

Hmph, their opening day payroll was listed as $199 million and they haven't cut money, so yeah there's got to be some weird luxury tax level rules that move how things are calculated around.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)
It isn't about Sandoval, it is about being creative to get another prospect into the system after the White Sox have used up all of their greatest trade chips.

So why do you always say the White Sox won't include money in a deal, especially since they signed Robert? Isn't this the same thing if not worse? At least the Sox guys were already accounted for payroll-wise, so if they picked up their money, it doesn't alter their obligations. Picking up another huge expense surely isn't part of the plan, but if they do, they might as well go after their other problem. Odds are stacked against it, but maybe he can at least play.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)
Hmph, their opening day payroll was listed as $199 million and they haven't cut money, so yeah there's got to be some weird luxury tax level rules that move how things are calculated around.

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of goofball type rules. None of it is straight, but this lines up with another article when they traded Bucholtz, that said it made them about $10 million under after projected arb.

Even if they plan on giving Devers a shot and he comes up and produces right away, Frazier could still make sense for Boston because they also have a hole at 1B. Overall this season their numbers are similar but Frazier has been way better than Moreland the past two months and at worst you could make Moreland a platoon bat since he sucks so much against LHP.