Todd and Melky

zisk

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
White Sox fans favorite players are the ones who have been traded.

I don't know, seems quite the opposite with Tatis. He's going to be on nearly every top 100 list as an 18 year old SS but people are determined to believe he will suck because the trade hurts too much. But, it is what it is. Not Tatis' fault he was traded.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 09:57 AM)
I don't know, seems quite the opposite with Tatis. He's going to be on nearly every top 100 list as an 18 year old SS but people are determined to believe he will suck because the trade hurts too much. But, it is what it is. Not Tatis' fault he was traded.

Tatis gets brought up in every other thread about how great he is, and how stupid the Sox are. It is the cause of the day. He was actually called a "super prospect" the other day.

I really don't see that at all with Tatis. He literally gets brought up daily here.

I am not at all determined to believe he will suck. It was an awful trade. But I'm not ready to crown Tatis a HOF quite yet. Most top 100 prospects flame out. Chances are, Tatis will as well. And if he is lucky enough to become a ML regular, its far more likely he is an average one than a HOF.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 10:09 AM)
It was an awful trade but I'm already sick of hearing about Tatis every 4th post.

Agreed. From here on out, don't mention him until he starts producing at the MLB level. We all get it: it was an awful deal.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 03:59 PM)
Tatis gets brought up in every other thread about how great he is, and how stupid the Sox are. It is the cause of the day. He was actually called a "super prospect" the other day.

Yep he has all the makings of a top 5 prospect in a year or two. Some scouts suggested to the Baseball Prospectus expert that he's a top ten guy right now

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 10:21 AM)
Yep he has all the makings of a top 5 prospect in a year or two. Some scouts suggested to the Baseball Prospectus expert that he's a top ten guy right now

Yes, we all acknowledge that the Sox may have really screwed up in trading Tatis, but at least they redeemed themselves somewhat by signing Luis Robert. Missing out on him would sting for a long time.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 11:21 AM)

That is phenomenal news for Micker!

I still have a feeling that Tatis wouldn't even be mentioned around here if not for that trade. He could be raking in the minors for the Sox and people here wouid be going "yeah, he looks interesting but his BABIP is too high and he strikes out too much."

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)

I still have a feeling that Tatis wouldn't even be mentioned around here if not for that trade. He could be raking in the minors for the Sox and people here wouid be going "yeah, he looks interesting but his BABIP is too high and he strikes out too much."

Which is exactly what Adolfo has gotten for the most part, with identical numbes.

Yep. Far fewer here would know his name than they do now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 10:50 AM)
Which is exactly what Adolfo has gotten for the most part, with identical numbes.

And being nearly two and a half years older...

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 10:03 AM)
I really don't see that at all with Tatis. He literally gets brought up daily here.

Maybe you are skipping over all of the posts that go out of way to talk about how he isn't that good and Keith Law just ranked him high because he hates the white sox.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
Maybe you are skipping over all of the posts that go out of way to talk about how he isn't that good and Keith Law just ranked him high because he hates the white sox.

I see some of those but I see more the other way. I kinda just roll my eyes anytime he is brought up at this point.

Edited by soxfan2014

A prospect in the top 100, top 25 in some publications, wouldn't be mentioned (or if leeway for hyperbole, rarely mentioned, or people wouldn't be excited about him)?

I do think that it's a little suspect that Tatis suddenly blows the prospect lists out of the water after 2 months in the Padres organization, after barely being mentioned in the Sox org.

It also might illustrate some of the Sox gap in trading Q...they knew that Tatis was a good prospect and improving, so if they are willing to move him for the aging and mediocre (at best) Shields, why in the world wouldn't a team want to send 3 good prospects for Q?

I just hope the Sox can find some of these rising prospects for themselves.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
A prospect in the top 100, top 25 in some publications, wouldn't be mentioned (or if leeway for hyperbole, rarely mentioned, or people wouldn't be excited about him)?

I do think that it's a little suspect that Tatis suddenly blows the prospect lists out of the water after 2 months in the Padres organization, after barely being mentioned in the Sox org.

It also might illustrate some of the Sox gap in trading Q...they knew that Tatis was a good prospect and improving, so if they are willing to move him for the aging and mediocre (at best) Shields, why in the world wouldn't a team want to send 3 good prospects for Q?

I chalk it up to Tatis starting to break out. If the Sox knew he had the potential to be a top 100 prospect no way they deal him in the Shield's trade.

There will always be some risk when dealing such young players, but I'm not too concerned about Tatis at this point.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)
I chalk it up to Tatis starting to break out. If the Sox knew he had the potential to be a top 100 prospect no way they deal him in the Shield's trade.

Yep. Guys like him are the reason prospect people here including myself advocate taking lower level guys with upside in deals (like Frazier potential deals for example). Those prospects are like free lottery tickets.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)

There will always be some risk when dealing such young players, but I'm not too concerned about Tatis at this point.

That's what we need out of the FO for this to work - identify the guys with potential to breakout before they break out.

And identify the guys who are in that 50-100 range, but who are about to breakout into the top 30 or so range.

Kyle Tucker is one of those. Now he's probably untouchable.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 10:50 AM)

Meh, not so much "identical" numbers, from my view.

Both K @ a fairly high rate, ~26% for Tatis, vs ~30% for Adolfo.

But the mitigating factor for Tatis is his relatively high BB rate, @ 12% vs a middling 5% rate for Adolfo.

Regardless, as many others have said, it was a trade that was so stupid, it insulted the terminally stupid. Given THAT crappy roster, with demonstratably the worst manager in White Sox history, I still can't fathom why that happened. Hell, had they waited a day or two, Shields might have been DFA'ed, & available for free.

At this point, Id rather look forward to whatever Frazier & Cabrera will provide in trade than look backward at (yet another) dumb move made by this FO.

Kinda funny...I live in Fort Wayne and Tatis plays here for the TinCaps. They played an afternoon game today at home and the highlight on the 5:00 local news was Tatis drilling a triple off the right center field wall--right off the sponsored billboard that I designed for the small business I work for here in the Fort. I took it as a personal attack reminder of how good he is and how bad that trade was! He does look real good, but then again, Rymer Liriano was the last "greatest thing" to hit here...and well...you know him...

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 10:05 AM)

I just hope the Sox can find some of these rising prospects for themselves.

He never played while a member of White Sox org.