Todd and Melky

zisk

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)
Hmph, their opening day payroll was listed as $199 million and they haven't cut money, so yeah there's got to be some weird luxury tax level rules that move how things are calculated around.

Contracts are straight-lined for luxury tax purposes, so their actual payroll should always be higher than luxury tax figure.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:57 PM)
Contracts are straight-lined for luxury tax purposes, so their actual payroll should always be higher than luxury tax figure.

Yeah this is how I remember it. One example of when a team's luxury tax figure being higher than a team's payroll is that Scherzer contract. He's receiving his payout over 14 years while for luxury tax purposes, it is over the 7 they have him.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)
Why should the White Sox pick up any of Sandoval's money? That's Boston's problem. No one is going to help them out there.

I'm all for eating Frazier's remaining money(6M) while eating 1/2 of Sandoval's remaining contract; roughly 50M including the buy out. To get a package like Groome + Chavis + Okimey & Beeks. Essentially paying 25m for Groome and Chavis, Sox would be giving them roughly an additional 20M of breathing room since they wouldn't be getting hit with a 40% overage, so in essence nearly clearing them from the tax burden of the contract and give them more flexibility in free agency and acquisitions in the future.

It would be very forward thinking by Hahn and similar to the dodgers Alex Wood, Jose Peraza 3-team, 13-player deal.

Boiling it down, if sox eat 25M of Sandovals contract and if need be send 6M over with Frazier it will help the red sox save roughly 45M+ in future obligations and get them under the tax threshold. In doing so Chicago gets 2 top 100 prospects Groome @ 87 & Chavis @ 96 while getting market value for Frazier in Ockimey & Beeks. If you go by the point of Pittsburgh study and viva el birdo's recent study in terms of rank Groome & Chavis are worth between $36.2 - $37.1M

The white sox have $102,951,212 in total adjusted salary this year after taking out Q's contract, next year its $28,950,000 if you include Robertson's contract or just $15,950,000 if you take out Robertson's contract and that doesn't include arbitration for Abreu and Avi, If the sox can use their financial muscle to get two top 100 prospects I hope they do so, they've shown a willingness in signing Robert lets keep it going.

edit - spelling and missing link

Edited by beautox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:55 AM)
I fully expect Frazier being to traded to the Red Sox in the coming days. I just don't see Dombrowski playing poker with us when Todd is the best available 3B out there. I'm also sticking with my prediction that C.J. Chatham will be the return.

Wouldn't mind this at all but I think BOS gets Prado...STL should be all over Todd

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 02:17 PM)
I'm all for eating Frazier's remaining money(6M) while eating 1/2 of Sandoval's remaining contract; roughly 50M including the buy out. To get a package like Groome + Chavis + Okimey & Beeks. Essentially paying 25m for Groome and Chavis, Sox would be giving them roughly an additional 20M of breathing room since they wouldn't be getting hit with a 40% overage, so in essence nearly clearing them from the tax burden of the contract and give them more flexibility in free agency and acquisitions in the future.

And for whom would Boston need to clear that salary room so as not to hit the Tax?

Re Sandoval, just DFA him upon acquisition, please.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 05:00 PM)
And for whom would Boston need to clear that salary room so as not to hit the Tax?

Re Sandoval, just DFA him upon acquisition, please.

Future acquisitions, like Hosmer next year and extensions (bogaerts, betts, JBJ to start)

and if we got Sandoval it would do no harm to invest time with him at 3B/1B/DH and see if they can get him right and ship him off at the deadline next year for a prospect or two, worst case as actual prospects come up DFA him again.

Edited by beautox

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 12:13 AM)
Honestly shocked we haven't heard s*** about Melky...good Lord. Dude is swinging a ridiculous bat lately...doin it on the field. How have we not heard any contenders in on him?

I think he'll be traded after the deadline.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 12:13 AM)
Honestly shocked we haven't heard s*** about Melky...good Lord. Dude is swinging a ridiculous bat lately...doin it on the field. How have we not heard any contenders in on him?

Melky is a one dimensional player, with that one dimension being his hit tool. He is not the worst defender, but he is not good. His arm is not a liability, but it's not a strength. He has a bit of power, but he's not a 20 homer guy. He is not the slowest guy, but there's a reason he doesn't have a stolen base this year. Thus, given all of those attributes, Melky Cabrera rates as a slightly above average player, currently on pace for just under 1.0 WAR for the season. Thus, teams in contention will be looking for other alternatives in the meantime, using Melky as a fall back option.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the Sox have a couple packages lined up with teams for Melky, but Rick Hahn is letting them do their due diligence in seeing if they can't find someone better. Hahn isn't dumb and he knows what Melky Cabrera is.

Melky will move, and I think he'll move before the deadline, and he'll be moved for a guy we probably haven't heard much of.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)
Melky is a one dimensional player, with that one dimension being his hit tool. He is not the worst defender, but he is not good. His arm is not a liability, but it's not a strength. He has a bit of power, but he's not a 20 homer guy. He is not the slowest guy, but there's a reason he doesn't have a stolen base this year. Thus, given all of those attributes, Melky Cabrera rates as a slightly above average player, currently on pace for just under 1.0 WAR for the season. Thus, teams in contention will be looking for other alternatives in the meantime, using Melky as a fall back option.

Doesn't he have a really good arm?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)

It really wouldn't surprise me if the Sox have a couple packages lined up with teams for Melky, but Rick Hahn is letting them do their due diligence in seeing if they can't find someone better. Hahn isn't dumb and he knows what Melky Cabrera is.

C

Melky will move, and I think he'll move before the deadline, and he'll be moved for a guy we probably haven't heard much of.

Good post but he is slightly above replacement, not slightly above average. Todd is slightly above average. So is Jose.

Average is good. If the Sox had more average players the last decade they win quite a bit more.