July 5th Game Thread: White Sox at Oakland A's

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 06:29 PM)
Bingo. Their offense is actually only slightly worse than league average. If they had the usual Sox starting pitching they'd be right in the thick of it. But, they don't.

This finally being the year players ~12-25 on the roster aren't complete back holes is ironic considering that's what prevented the Sale/Eaton/Q/Abreu teams from ever really competing. If Leury, Davidson, Yolmer, & Avi were producing like this last year the rebuild likely never happens.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 04:58 PM)
This finally being the year players ~12-25 on the roster aren't complete back holes is ironic considering that's what prevented the Sale/Eaton/Q/Abreu teams from ever really competing. If Leury, Davidson, Yolmer, & Avi were producing like this last year the rebuild likely never happens.

I am not bemoaning the trades of Sale or Eaton at all.Just makes you wonder how different things play out in an alternate universe kind of way.

I know the whole if Eaton is still here maybe Avi never gets another shot theory. Oh well the Sox would've found a way to screw it up. Even with Sale the starting pitching would still be lacking due to Q's slow start and Rodon's injury.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 06:58 PM)

Maybe not, but they'd have still had a 3 man starting staff (like they had in most "go for it" years) and they'd have either had to fix it to an extent (doubt there was much in the farm to get more than 1 starter) or it would have been about like this year, with maybe 5 or 6 more wins.

I would also point out that they couldn't produce like this last year, because they didn't play on the ML team for the most part.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 05:28 PM)
Eh they're just not good. Does lately include the 2 recent walk offs ? They're playing the same way they have all year. Bad starting pitching and always playiing catch up is difficult.

Offensively, sure. Defensively this team has been pretty awful for a while now. DJ is right. A lot of mental mistakes to go along with the bad play. Throwing to wrong bases, throwing through cutoff men, missing situational decision making skills, etc. A lot of stuff is going wrong that isn't showing up in box scores.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 05:28 PM)
Eh they're just not good. Does lately include the 2 recent walk offs ? They're playing the same way they have all year. Bad starting pitching and always playiing catch up is difficult.

Offensively, sure. Defensively this team has been pretty awful for a while now. DJ is right. A lot of mental mistakes to go along with the bad play. Throwing to wrong bases, throwing through cutoff men, missing situational decision making skills, etc. A lot of stuff is going wrong that isn't showing up in box scores. A great example is the Saturday game against Texas. Melky let's a ball bounce right over his mitt for a 3 run triple. If he gets over and cuts it off, it is a single at best. In the box score it shows up as a three run triple.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 05:31 PM)
Offensively, sure. Defensively this team has been pretty awful for a while now. DJ is right. A lot of mental mistakes to go along with the bad play. Throwing to wrong bases, throwing through cutoff men, missing situational decision making skills, etc. A lot of stuff is going wrong that isn't showing up in box scores. A great example is the Saturday game against Texas. Melky let's a ball bounce right over his mitt for a 3 run triple. If he gets over and cuts it off, it is a single at best. In the box score it shows up as a three run triple.

That ball took a very bad hop away from him. Not his fault at all. I saw it with my eyes right away and the announcers confirmed it saying the same thing. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of bad D that have shown up in the box score. It's just been pitiful but if you want to use one that didn't show up in the box score ,,,Willy Garcia had a ball lined up to catch it easily but gave way to Engel who had to come a long way. The way Garcia peeled off I have to assume Engel called it and didn't make the play.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 08:41 PM)
That ball took a very bad hop away from him. Not his fault at all. I saw it with my eyes right away and the announcers confirmed it saying the same thing. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of bad D that have shown up in the box score. It's just been pitiful but if you want to use one that didn't show up in the box score ,,,Willy Garcia had a ball lined up to catch it easily but gave way to Engel who had to come a long way. The way Garcia peeled off I have to assume Engel called it and didn't make the play.

It was his fault he didn't square the ball up. And there are plenty of other examples just like it.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 11:28 PM)

Really bad baseball team. The starting rotation itself is why we're guaranteed last place. The lineup as well. If not for all the bombs (thanks baseball for juicing the ball and good job uppercutting Davidson, Abreu, Melky, Avi, et all) we'd be assured 110 losses. The lineup has been powerful enough to prevent an historically bad season. It's still gonna be very bad though.

I can't believe a team can trot Holland, Pelphrey and Shields out there regularly and not lose 110 games.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 05:28 AM)
1-5 against oakland... a good thing i guess...

It's great if you want your team to be considered the laughing stock of baseball, the biggest joke of a franchise in the AL. San Diego is worse in the NL.