Anthony Swarzak to Brewers; Sox receive Ryan Cordell

username

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:44 PM)
Who did you expect for a rental? Especially in this market.

Also, don't slam Cordell as being useless before he even gets a chance with us.

Please explain THIS market, which we heard was a seller's market due to all the teams still in contention in the AL.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 10:55 PM)
Because it's July 25th.

It is absolutely a buyer's market. There are tons of relief options available, why overpay? Sox wanted to get a deal done and got a legitimate prospect in exchange. Hard to complain for a rental.

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 09:00 PM)
Sox traded Swarzak for a 45FV prospect, some might have wanted a younger middle infield type like Lucius Fox. Hahn turned a rec project into 11M of surplus value;its a win.

ta1.png link

fangraphs top 25 brewers prospects

Please explain then what we were doing when we traded for James Shields.

How much surplus value did we create?

How does surplus value work when you already have 5 of these same players and nowhere to play them?

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 11:01 PM)

:lol: the bed was s*** on that deal. Hopefully that won't happen again going forward. The take away is our LatAm correctly identified and signed a future top 50 prospect.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 10:34 PM)
There is something called groupthink that happens, and it absolutely happens here.

Compare the threads discussing what we think should be the returns for players, and then compare the actual returns for players.

The difference is ridiculous.

Considering that this is a message board it's not surprising. We're all fans and follow the sport/team more intensely than others, but regardless what we think we know, we aren't in the know of what's actually being discussed (Unless one/some of us are secretly Rick, Kenny, Jerry, etc., I apologize) or what true value of said asset actually is. Soxtalk mock proposals are just that.

I'd say I was a bit let down by the Yankees trade after it came out, this one I was pleasantly surprised with. You don't have to agree with me and I don't care if you do and vice versa. You don't have to like the trade either, it's your right. Calling everyone sheep for being optimistic about a return on a player signed to a 1 year milb deal is pretty ridiculous. It's not like the Sox traded away Andrew Miller for Timo Perez 2.0.

The Shields deal was a f*ck up, no doubt.

This is a different situation. Swarzak was never getting us a top prospect, regardless of how well he pitched this season. We leveraged a minor league deal guy into a potential solid player, which is always a good move.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 04:01 AM)

How does surplus value work when you already have 5 of these same players and nowhere to play them?

No doubt the Shields trade was a fireable offense. There are no excuses for it. It showed a horrible lack of scouting acumen for two players. thats way different than this trade.

Well seeing how Cordell is viewed as a super-sub type and not a true 4th OF he will have plenty of chances to play. Melky and Avi are on their way out and we're likely not going to see any of the big three till Sept of next year with Jimenez so the sox have a year and a half to see what they have in Leury, Engel, Willy, Liriano, Polo, Cordell and Tilson if he can get healthy. Additionally the defense in the outfield will be much improved with Cordell/Engel/Leury over Avi & Melky so thats a win for our young pitching coming up.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 09:05 PM)
Considering that this is a message board it's not surprising. We're all fans and follow the sport/team more intensely than others, but regardless what we think we know, we aren't in the know of what's actually being discussed (Unless one/some of us are secretly Rick, Kenny, Jerry, etc., I apologize) or what true value of said asset actually is. Soxtalk mock proposals are just that.

I'd say I was a bit let down by the Yankees trade after it came out, this one I was pleasantly surprised with. You don't have to agree with me and I don't care if you do and vice versa. You don't have to like the trade either, it's your right. Calling everyone sheep for being optimistic about a return on a player signed to a 1 year milb deal is pretty ridiculous. It's not like the Sox traded away Andrew Miller for Timo Perez 2.0.

I called people sheep for accusing me of being an idiot for wanting a player better than Ryan Cordell, when that was nowhere near what the vast majority was speculating prior to the deal occurring.

Just because Rick Hahn made the trade doesn't suddenly mean we all have to think it's wonderful, does it? And yet that is what is expected here.

See the difference?

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 09:09 PM)
Well seeing how Cordell is viewed as a super-sub type and not a true 4th OF he will have plenty of chances to play. Melky and Avi are on their way out and we're likely not going to see any of the big three till Sept of next year with Jimenez so the sox have a year and a half to see what they have in Leury, Engel, Willy, Liriano, Polo, Cordell and Tilson if he can get healthy. Additionally the defense in the outfield will be much improved with Cordell/Engel/Leury over Avi & Melky so thats a win for our young pitching coming up.

Avi is not on his way out. Yet. :)

Scouts have said Cordell is not good "in the dirt." I'd say that limits his ability to be a super-sub and makes him more likely to be an OFer.

We have OFers. We have more OFers than we know what to do with.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 04:05 AM)
No doubt the Shields trade was a fireable offense. There are no excuses for it. It showed a horrible lack of scouting acumen for two players. thats way different than this trade.

Now that's the old fathom! I like it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 11:13 PM)
And you are acting like a f***ing dick.

Jeff Passan

"How rebuilding is done: Sign guy in late January to minor league deal (Swarzak), turn him into legit prospect (Cordell). Bravo, White Sox."

Even national guys are on board with this move

Also I'm sure most realize Mahalanobis Comps are just for fun, but Cordell's comp is Aaron Rowand.

a comp outfield of

Aaron Rowand(Cordell)/Randy Winn(Engel)/Angel Pagan(Leury) sounds fun.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 09:17 PM)
Jeff Passan

"How rebuilding is done: Sign guy in late January to minor league deal (Swarzak), turn him into legit prospect (Cordell). Bravo, White Sox."

Even national guys are on board with this move

Followed up with:

The Fear with Ryan Cordell: No true standout tool. One scout just texted: "Fairly ordinary across the board." Sees him as a 4th OF type.