7-6 Games

joejoedairy

SCOREBOARD

DSL Sox Lost 12-10 No Robert again

Charlotte at Durham Rehab start for Miguel Gonzalez

Birmingham at Jackson Adams (6-7 3.95)

Winston Salem vs Down East Hansen (0-0 0.90 at A+)

Kannapolis at Hickory Luis Martinez (2-0 2.04 since being sent down)

Great Falls at Missoula Agar (1-0 4.00)

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 09:01 PM)
Last 11 games for Courtney Hawkins (multiple levels): 12 for 37, 2 HR, 4 BB, 6 K (!)

That includes A-ball and a week off for his hammy, and only like three games in AA. Much as I'd like to find optimism, that's a pretty empty selection. Wait until he's been in AA hitting again for a few weeks.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:15 PM)
That includes A-ball and a week off for his hammy, and only like three games in AA. Much as I'd like to find optimism, that's a pretty empty selection. Wait until he's been in AA hitting again for a few weeks.

Here's what I'll say. Many of us were rightly alarmed when in his first 25 games, he struck out 60 times in 105 PA with just 3 BB. In that stretch, he had at least 1 K in all but 2 of them. In 18 of the 25, he had 2 or more Ks. It was about as bad as you can play and when it comes to strikeouts, we know we don't need a big sample size to know something is going on. He never had a 2-game run without at least one of the games having 2 or more Ks. I've really never seen a player play so badly, we're talking about yips level problems with contact.

So after striking out 7 times in his first 12 PA in his rehab assignment down in Kannapolis, it seems like something changed for a guy who had no hope of putting the ball in play before. He's played 14 games since. In that time, he's had 59 plate appearances and 10 K (17%) while hitting the ball a little bit (18 for 53, 2 HR, 3 2B, ~.915 OPS). In 7 of those 14 games (half!), he's had zero strikeouts. He has struck out multiple times in only 2 of those games. If you want to split his season into two halves, he has 46 more plate appearances to go since the game where I drew the line to reach the same amount of PA in his first 25 games. He could strike out in every single one of those 46 plate appearances and would still have a lower K rate in the second 108 plate appearances. I don't think the talent difference in A-ball (where 10 of those games occurred split between Kannapolis and W-S) explains the change.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make may have not been clear. I've had little optimism for Hawkins as a MLB player for a while now. But the horrendous start to the season was crazy and I've never seen something like it. I've taken a rooting interest in seeing Hawkins fix what looked a lot like a hitter's version of the yips to the point where he could at least just languish in the minors until he wants to hang it up or become a pitcher.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 10:22 PM)
Adams was very good.

Yeah I shouldn't have wrote that when they were only in the third.

It was a very good night for Birmingham. Rarely do you see multiple multi-hit games from them.

Charlotte and W-S both scored quite a few runs but nobody had that pretty of a box score, except for Saladino's 3 run home run.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 07:26 AM)
Yeah I shouldn't have wrote that when they were only in the third.

It was a very good night for Birmingham. Rarely do you see multiple multi-hit games from them.

Charlotte and W-S both scored quite a few runs but nobody had that pretty of a box score, except for Saladino's 3 run home run.

Adams appeared to be strong last night and is really turning the corner this season

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 08:36 PM)
Another homer for Adolfo. :headbang

As of now, Micker is 4th in his league in HR and 5th in RBI. He is also tied for the league lead in doubles with 24. Also worth noting is 7th in HBP with 10, 16th in Hits with 78, 16th in OBP, 16th in SLG, 18th in PA, and 3rd in K's.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 09:15 AM)
North - has anyone seen Louie Lechich? He's a minor prospect i know, just one I find intriguing. His stats are good, other than he walks way too many. Just wondering how he is progressing.

I know 2080 baseball did a scouting report on him last year. Haven't seen any from this year yet. And I don't think we saw him, though southside hitman was in Winston for a few days in May.