League Wide Speculation

hi8is

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 11:08 PM)
Why do you like him more?

Better numbers, more speed, better defense.

I don't know anything about bat speed and that sort of thing (which are obviously important).

Also, I trust the Astros organization re prospects.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
Sean Doolittle of the A's would be a good get.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 04:04 AM) *

Seems like the 2nd wildcard is gumming up the works, so to speak. Right now, only three AL teams are definitely selling, and most of the NL teams that are in sell mode don't have much to trade.

I'll say first major trade is Ryan Madson to the Red Sox. Dombrowski is aggressive and they could use a set-up man for Kimbrel.

I replied with

Sean Doolittle of the A's would be a good get.

We both came pretty close .

Beane says A's are going into full rebuild mode for the first time in his tenure.

Unfortunately for them, they do not have a lot in the way of present assets to trade away for prospects. Scouts reportedly not big on Gray post-injury. Quotes saying that he is still a nice pitcher, but not the ace he was.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 08:39 AM)
Beane says A's are going into full rebuild mode for the first time in his tenure.

Unfortunately for them, they do not have a lot in the way of present assets to trade away for prospects. Scouts reportedly not big on Gray post-injury. Quotes saying that he is still a nice pitcher, but not the ace he was.

Alonso should get them something decent.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)

That's funny, it seemed to me they were in perpetual rebuilding mode.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 11:23 PM)
Lefty, a little younger, already in AA putting up better numbers, will steal you 15-20 bags a year.

They are a little more than a month apart in age. I like Jimenez's lower K rate and believe he is better bet to hit for power long term. Myrtle Beach is allegedly a park that heavily favors pitchers, and he put up solid numbers there.

I like the idea of finding some LH OF bats to complement what the Sox are putting together, but I think Jimenez is the superior hitting prospect long term.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)
That's funny, it seemed to me they were in perpetual rebuilding mode.

Yeah, I kinda felt the same way.

Beane, who noted that the A’s have “never really committed to a full rebuild,” suggested that the team will do just that as it eyes a new stadium.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/07/west...ers-padres.html

Good lord. I'm cynically reading that as now that MLB cut them off they are just going to roll with a 20 million dollar payroll to pay for their stadium.

Just force a sale of that ridiculous franchise.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 10:59 AM)
Good lord. I'm cynically reading that as now that MLB cut them off they are just going to roll with a 20 million dollar payroll to pay for their stadium.

Just force a sale of that ridiculous franchise.

Isn't this to also tempt new potential ownership groups per that article?

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
They are a little more than a month apart in age. I like Jimenez's lower K rate and believe he is better bet to hit for power long term. Myrtle Beach is allegedly a park that heavily favors pitchers, and he put up solid numbers there.

I like the idea of finding some LH OF bats to complement what the Sox are putting together, but I think Jimenez is the superior hitting prospect long term.

Tucker is a very good prospect as well, but I would give the slight edge to Jimenez at this point. Scouts seem very convinced that the power will play up for Jimenez.

Jimenez is really showing an improved approach at the plate and is willing to take walks instead of just selling out for power. He's going to be a fun player to follow.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 03:27 PM)
Sounds like opposing GMs are complaining about Tigers' asking prices.

If I were Hahn, I'd be marketing Avi Garcia to all the teams talking to Avila about J.D. Martinez. Despite being a rental, I've got to assume their price is ridiculous and Avi could look very attractive with his two additional years of control.

Well you know this...the Tigers and other AL central teams HAVE to be looking around at what we are doing and are trying to figure out how they are going to slow this down for us. They could be looking at several years of getting beat as the alternative to standing pat. The Tigers have 2 big reasons to sell....1. They are not in the race. 2. They better do something or they are going to be irrelevant for a while when our guys hit their stride.