League Wide Speculation

hi8is

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)
Interesting, but I doubt they give up their top pitching prospect for what amounts to salary relief.

I wouldn't think they would sell off one of their top guys, but more like guys in the 4-10 range in their system.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
Cubs supposedly going for Gray as well. Gotta respect Theo's balls to wall approach. the window is now.

They still have more than enough if they take off the major league roster.

Almora, Candelairo, ++ I'm sure would work.

I totally buy As going after Schwarber. THey have always taken the most bizarre packages. They have usually worked out more than I expected, but would totally not be surprised if Schwarber recovers and then in 1.5 years the As flip him for 4-5 other prospects.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:44 AM)

It's their only choice. Their farm is terrible now and they can't trade their recent draft picks. I wonder if they dangle Schwarber or Happ if the A's don't like those guys you mentioned.

I'm sure A's want Schwarber,just seems like the type of player they would want. Schwarber,Candelario,couple lotto tix is what probably being dangled. This could also just be a ploy to get the price going up for the Brewers

I start wondering about diminishing returns there. Do you really want to pay a high price to make your 5th starter that good for 2 months...when your offense has been the 10th or 11th best in the NL?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:10 PM)
A Gray/Alonso package seems to make a lot of sense for the Yankees at this point.

Gray + Alonso is not going to come cheap. If the Yankees were not willing to pony up for Quintana, I'm not certain they want to do the same for Gray.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:26 PM)
Gray + Alonso is not going to come cheap. If the Yankees were not willing to pony up for Quintana, I'm not certain they want to do the same for Gray.

They're going to need some pitching though and Gray is the best pitcher on the market with several years of control, the other options aren't really that great either. Alonso also fills a gaping hole. This move makes sense in both the long-term and short-term, they currently hold a Wild Card spot and aren't that far behind the Red Sox, I don't think they should just punt on this season. Their window has started this year. The free agent SP market this upcoming offseason also looks a hell of a lot weaker than it did just a few months ago. Pretty much everyone is underperforming and entering their 30s. There's a lot of potential upside but also a ton of risk in guys like Cueto (if he opts out), Arrieta or even a guy like Estrada. Darvish is the only one doing well but he has an injury history and will get an enormous contract into his mid to late 30s.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)
They're going to need some pitching though and Gray is the best pitcher on the market with several years of control, the other options aren't really that great either. Alonso also fills a gaping hole. This move makes sense in both the long-term and short-term, they currently hold a Wild Card spot and aren't that far behind the Red Sox, I don't think they should just punt on this season. Their window has started this year. The free agent SP market this upcoming offseason also looks a hell of a lot weaker than it did just a few months ago. Pretty much everyone is underperforming and entering their 30s. There's a lot of potential upside but also a ton of risk in guys like Cueto (if he opts out), Arrieta or even a guy like Estrada. Darvish is the only one doing well but he has an injury history and will get an enormous contract into his mid to late 30s.

Here's the real trick. The Yankees today start an 11 game in 11 day road trip with 4 in Boston. Followed by 3 in Minnesota (a team they're tied with in the win column), followed by 4 in Seattle - a team they're 2 ahead of in the win column. Their schedule goes "grueling" over the next few weeks - they've played 4 fewer games than the mariners for example and have to make that up.

Basically, this trip could hammer their position. They could wind up behind a bunch of wild card teams in 10 days. If they hold their ground or go 7-4, basically I'd say they set themselves up to make a big move like that, but if they go 4-7 in this stretch, they're back to .500 with a couple grueling weeks to go. But if they want to buy themselves any time to see how they go, it sets themselves up for a weaker road trip.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
A Gray/Alonso package seems to make a lot of sense for the Yankees at this point.

Don't see Yanks going hard after a 1B after yesterday's deal for one and Bird likely to return by mid-August

However they do absolutely need starting pitching and relief

Q would have been perfect, maybe they take back D-Rob and/or Swarzak

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
Don't see Yanks going hard after a 1B after yesterday's deal for one and Bird likely to return by mid-August

However they do absolutely need starting pitching and relief

Q would have been perfect, maybe they take back D-Rob and/or Swarzak

Bird's bad ankle might require surgery. If so, he's basically done for the year or at least until late September.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 08:29 PM)
I kind of like Kyle Tucker more then Eloy Jimenez so I am going to be disappointed if A's got him for Gray

WHy do you like him more?