7/8 Games (Giolito, Stephens, Dunning)

Heads22

I admit I've had as many doubts about Gio as anybody, like basically along the lines of "man just seems like maybe that guy lost his stuff". Because even in his good starts the stat lines seemed like maybe he just squeaked by with balls hit at guys.

Striking out 10 at any level is legit. Way to man up. I'd love to know if he felt like he had great stuff because it's what you do with your bad stuff that makes you a major leaguer.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 08:46 PM)
I still don't think a Gavin Floyd comp for Lucas is far off at all. Floyd got a taste of the majors and then went to AAA the next year and had an ERA over 6. Both big guys with good fastball/curve combo with a lot of moving parts.

I also think the same about him, Fulmer etc. that I do with a number of those Charlotte guys - I wouldn't mind seeing them in the majors to be around a major league staff. How many guys have we had come up this year that have looked better than their AAA numbers might indicate? Get them around our best coaches and away from whatever they are doing in Charlotte.

Yeah I've been floating the Floyd / Halladay comp for a while, in Halladay's case he too had to completely rebuild his mechanics but at low A.

This is an interesting factoid.

Jeff Long @JeffLongBP Very impressed with Lucas Giolito so far tonight. Don't let his numbers fool you.

Jon Roegele‏ @MLBPlayerAnalys Jul 8 Jon Roegele Retweeted Jeff Long

Always wondered if he was rushed back after TJ surgery. Had the 4th fastest return time to same level/higher of the 400+ pros I've tracked.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)

Jeff Long @JeffLongBP Very impressed with Lucas Giolito so far tonight. Don't let his numbers fool you.

Always wondered if he was rushed back after TJ surgery. Had the 4th fastest return time to same level/higher of the 400+ pros I've tracked.

Ironic with how they babied Strasburg and still gambled wrong.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)

Fastball was 92-94 as well which is a bit higher than earlier in the season. That cut slider he's throwing this year has been a nice weapon for him.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 08:40 AM)
I've always felt that Reynaldo Lopez was one that was most likely to take off just by getting to be around Coop. He seems like the kind of pitcher who needs that Coop touch.

I'm also just wondering with how bad that charlotte defense is how many more outs could be generated in the majors for them.