Q traded to Cubs/Jimenez, Cease ++ to Sox

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:38 AM)
How nice is it to see our farm system now????

My guess is the rankings will look like:

1) Moncada

2) Jimenez

3) Kopech

4) Giolito

5) Robert

6) Lopez

7) Collins

8) Cease

9) Hansen

10) Dunning

11) Burger

12) Adams

13) Fulmer

14) Burdi

15) Guerrero

16) Sheets

17) Stephens

18) Basabe

19) Flores

20) Adolfo

Maybe flip Giolito and Robert but who gives a banana split... this is an amazing top 20 that will only improve in the next 2+ weeks.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
Not that it really matters, but Flete is putting up decent numbers at A+ this year. He's old for the level, but should we really dismiss him so quickly?

He's not doing anything that special as a 24 year old in A+. Like, I think you can say there's a 5-10% chance that Rose starts making enough meaningful contact to turn into a starting level player. Flete is going to have to move and move in a hurry for me to consider him anything more than a utility player. Guessing he will start right away in Birmingham.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 01:39 PM)
LOL, no Rick Hahn. I mean, kudos for trying, but nooooo.

Similar to asking Dombrowski for Betts at the deadline last year...just not going to happen haha

I'll miss Quintana, but this absolutely was the right move for us to make for the rebuild.

The White Sox have played the market perfectly so far, getting great packages for all of their major chips. Tank the rest of 2017, draft well, tank 2018, draft well, 2019 show some progress, 2020 here we come!

We will have huge amounts of payroll flexibility moving forward, a core of young cost controlled players, and prospects galore.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 01:38 PM)
Rose I consider a lotto ticket. A guy with that kind of power is definitely trying to turn nothing into something. Flete is filler.

He is literally all power and nothing else. Reminds me alot of Telvin Nash currently. But hey.. here's hoping his hit tool comes through.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 01:30 PM)
Dude.

We got Eloy Jimenez, a consensus top 10 mlb overall prospect. Huge power potential.

Dylan Cease has very good stuff and is only 21 years old. Add him into our mix of exciting young arms.

The other two are lotto tickets.

Quintana is an excellent pitcher, but we got a massive return...nearly as much as we did for Sale.

Not really, Basabe and Diaz at least had some projection to them. Matt Rose is a 1B with low average and high K issues, not to mention an OBP below .300. Bryant Flete is a half step from org filler. Jimenez and Cease are exciting, but this is nowhere near the Sale package (as Jimenez and Cease are essentially Moncada-lite and Kopech-lite), and that's what the Cubs should've had to pay.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
Not that it really matters, but Flete is putting up decent numbers at A+ this year. He's old for the level, but should we really dismiss him so quickly?

He is 24 and completely lacking any real exciting things about him.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
Not really, Basabe and Diaz at least had some projection to them. Matt Rose is a 1B with low average and high K issues, not to mention an OBP below .300. Bryant Flete is a half step from org filler. Jimenez and Cease are exciting, but this is nowhere near the Sale package (as Jimenez and Cease are essentially Moncada-lite and Kopech-lite), and that's what the Cubs should've had to pay.

I'm not so certain about that.

Some scouts recently said Jimenez could end up being better than Moncada.

Cease has been rocketing up prospects lists and features two plus pitches already. If the changeup develops he has frontline potential.

Moncada + Kopech + Basabe + Diaz is a little bit better, but not by miles, than Jimenez + Cease + Rose + Flete

I'd say we got 85-90% of the value we received for Sale, which is all we could ever hope for.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 01:40 PM)
Yes. And I would have been okay with Glasgow Newman return.

So happy with this.

I think I would have put Q acquiring Jimenez (let alone their top pitching prospect) from the cubs as maybe the most unlikely of all of the acquisitions, maybe just above someone like Robles. Even with the fit with the cubs, I'm shocked.

I know plenty of us discussed a Sox/cubs trade since, December? But even as much as I enjoyed discussing the possibility and as much sense as a trade would make for both teams, I never thought it would actually happen.

Wasn't over excited at first about Cease but after reading more about him he looks to be the lite version of Kopech, which is a good thing.

Great trade for both teams.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)
He is literally all power and nothing else. Reminds me alot of Telvin Nash currently. But hey.. here's hoping his hit tool comes through.

Some of those scouting reports say he is a pretty good defensive 3B. Not sure why he's played so little of it in the minors.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)
I know plenty of us discussed a Sox/cubs trade since, December? But even as much as I enjoyed discussing the possibility and as much sense as a trade would make for both teams, I never thought it would actually happen.

Wasn't over excited at first about Cease but after reading more about him he looks to be the lite version of Kopech, which is a good thing.

Great trade for both teams.

I think were getting a nice mix of volatile, talented power arms with good body, 3 pitch pitchers. Only 2-3 have good control now but I think we'll be able to put 5 together with a bullpen. Hope to see even more pitchers come in and some come out of nowhere to pick up slack.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 01:54 PM)
I'm not so certain about that.

Some scouts recently said Jimenez could end up being better than Moncada.

Cease has been rocketing up prospects lists and features two plus pitches already. If the changeup develops he has frontline potential.

Moncada + Kopech + Basabe + Diaz is a little bit better, but not by miles, than Jimenez + Cease + Rose + Flete

I'd say we got 85-90% of the value we received for Sale, which is all we could ever hope for.

The Cubs should've paid Chris Sale price for Jose Quintana is my point. And no, not because of "some silly rivalry", but because of the additional revenue and market share loss the Sox will suffer as a result of this trade, all of which is going to go directly to the Cubs.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
The Cubs should've paid Chris Sale price for Jose Quintana is my point. And no, not because of "some silly rivalry", but because of the additional revenue and market share loss the Sox will suffer as a result of this trade, all of which is going to go directly to the Cubs.

Yes I WILL cut off my nose to spite my face

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)

Huh? I will never understand this argument. What % of fans are the type that flip between teams based on a trade?

The Cubs tanked for several years to get where they are now, remember when that happened and all the Cubs fans started cheering for the Sox and going to games? No, because that's not how any of this works.