Q traded to Cubs/Jimenez, Cease ++ to Sox

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
The Cubs should've paid Chris Sale price for Jose Quintana is my point. And no, not because of "some silly rivalry", but because of the additional revenue and market share loss the Sox will suffer as a result of this trade, all of which is going to go directly to the Cubs.

....for now.....

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
The Cubs should've paid Chris Sale price for Jose Quintana is my point. And no, not because of "some silly rivalry", but because of the additional revenue and market share loss the Sox will suffer as a result of this trade, all of which is going to go directly to the Cubs.

Why would the Cubs bid against themselves? Jimenez/Cease was easily the two best prospects offered to the White Sox

Who cares where we traded Q to, heck we should be happy he is out of the American League.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 02:10 PM)
I did not think we would get a prospect to the caliber of Jimenez. I think the structure with the weaker back end was more in line with my expectations. People around here thought that the 3rd and 4th pieces would be notable spects.

I did not. I was told he was the hold up and kind of thought the Cubs just wouldn't budge.

I admittedly did not think we would land a top 10 overall prospect for Quintana either.

I did not think we would get a prospect to the caliber of Jimenez. I think the structure with the weaker back end was more in line with my expectations. People around here thought that the 3rd and 4th pieces would be notable spects.

I did not. I was told he was the hold up and kind of thought the Cubs just wouldn't budge.

Thanks for the insight BB!

MLB.com needs to update the prospect list so we can all sit back and admire :)

Do you have any insight into what other packages were offered?

When did it become apparent that the Cubs had taken the lead?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)

Cubs are going to that system...which is what you do when you're in their position though I suppose. But man to lose Gleyber Torres and Eloy Jimenez in 1 year... Got them a ring and netted Quintana--so in many ways, I suppose they maximized the return but that's a lot of future to mortgage!

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 12:16 PM)
Do you have any insight into what other packages were offered?

When did it become apparent that the Cubs had taken the lead?

I imagine it became apparent on Tuesday based on the smoke that was circling then.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 01:59 PM)
I think were getting a nice mix of volatile, talented power arms with good body, 3 pitch pitchers. Only 2-3 have good control now but I think we'll be able to put 5 together with a bullpen. Hope to see even more pitchers come in and some come out of nowhere to pick up slack.

Definitely looks like the Sox are targeting more volatile pitchers with big upside (Giolito/Kopech/Lopez/Hansen/Cease) to add to strike throwers like Guerrero, Adams and here recently, Dunning. The future rotation and bullpen is looking so promising.

And now they've added Jimenez to Robert, Basabe, Call, Fisher etc for much needed outfield depth. Hell of a job so far by Hahn.

Now let's hope Rizzo caves in so we can snag Soto or Kieboom from the Nats for Robertson or Kahnle.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)
Definitely looks like the Sox are targeting more volatile pitchers with big upside (Giolito/Kopech/Lopez/Hansen/Cease) to add to strike throwers like Guerrero, Adams and here recently, Dunning. The future rotation and bullpen is looking so promising.

And now they've added Jimenez to Robert, Basabe, Call, Fisher etc for much needed outfield depth. Hell of a job so far by Hahn.

Now let's hope Rizzo caves in so we can snag Soto or Kieboom from the Nats for Robertson or Kahnle.

I'd definitely shop Robertson/Swarzak/Kahnle as we continue the fire sale

I doubt Rizzo caves, but moving Q really opens things up in the trade markets now

We had discussed Hahn not budging on our expiring assets to send a message to other teams to be serious with our big assets. I didn't think that worked.

But I do think Hahn not budging for Sale/Eaton/Q helped in that it made other GMs not budge in getting their top price for their assets. Nobody decided to say "hey I'll go just enough under Hahns price to get these players" like we saw with Tampa and DeLeon.

Pretty incredible.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 02:54 PM)
I'm not so certain about that.

Some scouts recently said Jimenez could end up being better than Moncada.

Cease has been rocketing up prospects lists and features two plus pitches already. If the changeup develops he has frontline potential.

Moncada + Kopech + Basabe + Diaz is a little bit better, but not by miles, than Jimenez + Cease + Rose + Flete

I'd say we got 85-90% of the value we received for Sale, which is all we could ever hope for.

I disagree. I think Sale should have brought the better package and I think he did. I posted that Q should bring 60-75% of Sale. If Moncada and Kopech were top # 1 and 12 prospects in MLB and Jimenez and Cease are 8 and 63 that is a decent drop-off. In addition, Moncada had played AA and had already had a brief shot at the majors. I hoped we could get a 12-15 and a 25-30. I assume the 3 and 4 players in each deal are a wash. Regardless, I think Hahn got the best package he could and we move on to Robertson.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 02:32 PM)
I disagree. I think Sale should have brought the better package and I think he did. I posted that Q should bring 60-75% of Sale. If Moncada and Kopech were top # 1 and 12 prospects in MLB and Jimenez and Cease are 8 and 63 that is a decent drop-off. In addition, Moncada had played AA and had already had a brief shot at the majors. I hoped we could get a 12-15 and a 25-30. I assume the 3 and 4 players in each deal are a wash. Regardless, I think Hahn got the best package he could and we move on to Robertson.

When we traded for Moncada and Kopech, Kopech was the #30 overall prospect in the mlb.

He has risen up the rankings both due to performance at AA, and a slew of guys getting called up above him.

Cease's stock has certainly been on the rise as well. He is upto #63 overall and could very well finish the season in the top 50.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
I have 100% enjoyed this season more than 2015 and 2016. No doubt.

Like a chocolate lava slide poured over a 5 high banana split eaten on a hot triple digit mid summer day.

Awesome insight. Thank you.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 01:31 PM)
We had discussed Hahn not budging on our expiring assets to send a message to other teams to be serious with our big assets. I didn't think that worked.

But I do think Hahn not budging for Sale/Eaton/Q helped in that it made other GMs not budge in getting their top price for their assets. Nobody decided to say "hey I'll go just enough under Hahns price to get these players" like we saw with Tampa and DeLeon.

Pretty incredible.

It is incredible! It's one thing to sit back and play armchair quarterback and offer what we feel as "the negotiation angle he hasn't thought of" but I feel pretty insignificant now offering any type of criticism or "he should/shouldn't do this" type advice to a guy who has actually pulled off--IN REALITY--the things we sit here behind our keyboards and dream up in our broke ($) lives. It's very possible that if things go as planned and these guys come to fruition, in a few years, people could be talking about Rick Hahn in the same way they talk about Theo. Granted, he's trading guys with high-value so he's going to get high-value in return, but He's gotten some major results so far--better than expected...and that takes real talent.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 09:00 AM)
So, just for fun...how about the 2020 Sox?

CF Robert

2B Moncada

RF Jimenez

C Collins

LF Beer

3B Burger

1B Sheets

DH Delmonico

SS Anderson

SP Rodon

SP Kopech

SP Giolito

SP Cease

SP Hansen

CL Burdi

Yes, I know some prospects fail. Just daydreaming here.

Who's Beer again?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 12:39 PM)
4-7? I sure hope so, but that seems optimistic to me. The only "sure things" IMO are Robertson and Frazier. Probably Swarzak, too.

Sure Things

Robertson

Frazier

Swarzak

Cabrera

Spice It Up & Sell High

Kahnle

A. Garcia

Didn't See That Coming

Sanchez

Abreu