How the Deal Went Down

kwill

Hey Guys,

I have now listened to both Rick Hahn and Theo Epstein explain how the deal went down. They both told very similar versions of the story.

Link For Epstein Version: http://www.csnchicago.com/video/how-cubs-w...e-came-fruition

What I find very interesting is who was making the trades. It was Hahn texting Theo for the deal to happen. It shows the difference in how the clubs although structured the same but are run differently. It seems like Hahn and Theo were the ultimate deal makers. I am sure Kenny signed off just like I am sure Hoyer was consulted before the deal got done.

It seems like Kenny has a more hands off approach with Hahn and who could blame as he does seem to know what he is doing. Not only is he one of the best negotiators at signing young talent early but he is proving quite the deal maker as well.

The second thing that is interesting is that is seemed like Epstein was surprised that the White Sox were as willing to make a deal with the Cubs.

QUOTE (whitesoxwinner @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:18 AM)
I kind of love kenny but I don't really understand what he does for the club now anymore, also don't know how he puts his ego away to let Rick get all of the credit and make all of the deals.

I think Hahn's a far superior GM than KW ever was, I don't see him picking fights with star players either

Williams always had a weak system and an underachieving, slow, aging lineup

At least Hahn has a direction and is truly dominating this rebuild

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 02:52 PM)
I think Hahn's a far superior GM than KW ever was, I don't see him picking fights with star players either

Plus, Hahn has limited himself in the pickup of former Cleveland Indians from the late 90s.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 02:53 PM)
Plus, Hahn has limited himself in the pickup of former Cleveland Indians from the late 90s.

Manny, Thome, and Colon? Don't forget about Ken Griffey in 2008, Jesus, had an all decade team for the 90's going

Edited by ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:52 AM)

Williams built the Sox top ranked farm system in the late 90's / early 2000's (Schueler / Dan Evans also played parts) but Kenny played an integral role. In later years the club short-changed the player development areas and focused all resources on existing major league talent (certainly a more short-sited approach) but that might have been partially driven by ownership's preference to extend its competitive window. Eventually it did catch up and while I'll knock him for the lack of quality talent development (especially on the position front, post Crede / Rowand), I'll also give him credit for his aggression and his ability to largely trade away the right prospects (not always for the right players).

QUOTE (whitesoxwinner @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:18 AM)
I kind of love kenny but I don't really understand what he does for the club now anymore, also don't know how he puts his ego away to let Rick get all of the credit and make all of the deals.

What Kenny does for the club: Reminds JR that they won a world series.

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 09:58 PM)
Hey Guys,

I have now listened to both Rick Hahn and Theo Epstein explain how the deal went down. They both told very similar versions of the story.

Link For Epstein Version: http://www.csnchicago.com/video/how-cubs-w...e-came-fruition

What I find very interesting is who was making the trades. It was Hahn texting Theo for the deal to happen. It shows the difference in how the clubs although structured the same but are run differently. It seems like Hahn and Theo were the ultimate deal makers. I am sure Kenny signed off just like I am sure Hoyer was consulted before the deal got done.

It seems like Kenny has a more hands off approach with Hahn and who could blame as he does seem to know what he is doing. Not only is he one of the best negotiators at signing young talent early but he is proving quite the deal maker as well.

The second thing that is interesting is that is seemed like Epstein was surprised that the White Sox were as willing to make a deal with the Cubs.

I've seen some posters laugh about how Hahn called Theo while the Cubs game had started thinking the game had a later start time asking " Do you still want a starting pitcher " ? But what they usually leave out was Lester just got bombed and Cubs were down like 10-0 in the 1st inning. Now that is hilarious . And actually it's a good strategy even if it was unintentional . Or was it ?